Powered by Outside

Help setting up rear sus!?

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Help setting up rear sus!?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jun 1, 2008 at 10:40 Quote
Never really understood shock that much, just need help setting it up!

This is my shock
photo

How do i set up the sag and other things?

Thanks

Posted: Jun 1, 2008 at 11:52 Quote
Anybody? I wanted to set it up soon!

O+
Posted: Jun 1, 2008 at 11:55 Quote
mccaw wrote:
Anybody? I wanted to set it up soon!

Find a manual on the Fox website.

Posted: Jun 1, 2008 at 12:08 Quote
Tried that, didnt really help much

O+
Posted: Jun 1, 2008 at 12:13 Quote
mccaw wrote:
Tried that, didnt really help much

I doubt that. It tells you exactly how to set up the air pressure (if you have that, I can't tell), sag, rebound, compression . . .
Look again.

Posted: Jun 1, 2008 at 12:23 Quote
I did but it made no sence to me, didnt really explain it that well because its an older shock i think!

Posted: Jun 1, 2008 at 14:03 Quote
mccaw wrote:
Never really understood shock that much, just need help setting it up!

This is my shock
photo

How do i set up the sag and other things?

Thanks
you poot it on your bike in the mide

Posted: Jun 1, 2008 at 14:07 Quote
Yeah i no that lol, im talking about once its one, how do you no how to set up sag and Rebound and compresion and stuff?

Posted: Jun 1, 2008 at 14:08 Quote
erm, maybe go on www.tftunedshox.co.uk and find out what spring you need (using the spring calc on the site) then set the rebound for what trpe of riding u do, slower=not as absorbent, but u dont get bucked off the bike during a big hit, faster=more responsive, but a big hit may throw u off the bike. then compression, (im not 2 good with this part of the shockConfused ) judging by the looks of the age of the shock, im jot sure wether the compression is high or low speed, so try out different settings while riding, more compression normaly meant the shock will ramp up more/be harder during the compression of the travel, and vice versa.all of these settings are also down 2 what kind of eiding u do- if ur a DH racer, u may want the shock 2 be softer, but faster, or if u'r a jumper, then maybe harder(spring or compression)and slower rebound. its all really personal preference, so try it, and see what feels bestBig Grin EDIT- make sure u have enough air in the chamber, if u have 2 little, the shock will damage, phone tim flooks, &they can tell u how much the shock needs 4 ur weight&shock etc.

O+
Posted: Jun 1, 2008 at 14:13 Quote
in the manual it does tell you exactly how to set sag etc, its somethin like eye to eye distance - distance of shok wen ur sitting on it normally and the remainder is the recommended sag, something along those lines, hope that helps man

Posted: Jun 1, 2008 at 14:16 Quote
ok, theres probably 3 things you can adjust on there, the compression damping, rebound damping and preload.

the rebound is going to be the one on the right (the red knob) it should say on it which way is faster and slower rebound. (off the top of my head i cant remember which way is which, but i think that clockwise is slower rebound).

to set this up, put it roughly in the middle of its adjustment and ride some trails, bumpy ones are better, then adjust the rebound slower/faster until you get the rebound set how you want. (remember to balance it to not be too fast if you're doing big jumps as you may get bucked off if it's set as too fast.

the compression is how easily the shock is pushed in. again, it depends on the type of trails you ride. if there are no jumps, only bumps then low compression damping would be good, unless there is a lot of pedal bob (search the forum if you don't know what i mean).

The preload is the amount of pressure put on the spring before you sit on the bike. it is the ring which winds down on to one end of the spring. this can change the amount of sag (again, search if you dont know what i mean) by around 2-3%. not too important for you if you have to ask how to set suspension up. only turn this twice clockwise from the point at which it engages the spring, or it can be damaged (well, that's what the fox website says).

trial and error is the way forwards with set-up. keep fiddling and you'll eventually find out exatly what is right. if need be, write down how the adjustment is set at different points during the trial and error stage, and how you like the way it is set. then you can run the perfect set-up.

any questions? you know where to go. hope that helped.

Posted: Jun 2, 2008 at 3:18 Quote
well with my one (exactly same but on a stinky)

I set up 2 clicks from softest

and then kept bouncing on it slowing it down till i felt was right for my weight

then had spring as loose as poss without the bottom holder coming loose

that set up i find very good for downhill as is soaks the lumps and bumps and on the big jumps it is smooth landing too

hope this helps??

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.019415
Mobile Version of Website