2008 Kona Stinky

PB Forum :: Downhill
2008 Kona Stinky
Posted: Oct 28, 2007 at 11:54 Quote
they've redesigned the stinky for 08' they didn't just change the spec.....they've made it even better(I used to have the 06' model) tup

Posted: Oct 28, 2007 at 12:09 Quote
I think they should have made one with a dual crown, just to make it a little more like a stinky.

Posted: Oct 28, 2007 at 12:17 Quote
the stinky is defined as an "out of bounds" bike, its not supposed to be freeride specific or downhill.
its meant to be a good alrounder, and if a single crown does the job, which im pretty sure alot of ppl would say a 66 would do, then wats the issue?

Posted: Oct 29, 2007 at 2:47 Quote
reallybigmantis wrote:
i ride the 07 stinky primo and it's a great do it all bike. jumping, freeride, dowhill.... just change the fork for what you like to do. the ONLY difference for 08 is they spec'd it out with a single crown instead of the doublecrown from 07... i would only ride the one with brake therapy (primo comes with) watch the video of them testing the stinky with and without. when i saw the video i felt bad for anyone who has a kona without the floating brake cause the brake jack is extreme. with floating brake its all good. kona measures the top tube in a different way than most. make sure you sit on one first to get the right cockpit size is my advice, but i think its a great, capable, affordable bike that would make most people really happy. 3-4 year frame warranty i think. i've rode the 07 primo since january. i weigh 220 and ride hard and rough, just spent 3 weeks solid in whistler and bike has been solid the whole time, not even a loose bolt in linkage. its not as pretty as some bikes with elaborate frame designs but it rides as good as any if you can ride...

Well no. There is clearly several differences between the '07 and the '08. Just look at the linkage plates.

And regarding your comment on "brake jack". They exaggerated the effect, by removing the spring and having no weight on the actual bike. Konas do not suffer that badly from braking feedback.

Posted: Oct 29, 2007 at 3:27 Quote
dabomb666 wrote:
the stinky is defined as an "out of bounds" bike, its not supposed to be freeride specific or downhill.
its meant to be a good alrounder, and if a single crown does the job, which im pretty sure alot of ppl would say a 66 would do, then wats the issue?

"Out of bounds" is even more vague than "freeride". But yeah, I guess it's a pretty good allrounder if going fast over rough ground and hitting gaps and jumps is your thing.

It depends what type of stuff you ride. On a tech DH run with winding singletrack, lots of switchbacks and flowy fast sections I'd much prefer a bike like the stinky over a full blown DH'er like the stab (which would be good for, say, fort bill). The terms "Downhill" and "freeride" are often just broad over-generalizations. You need to think "what Will I be riding", "how will the bike suit my needs". Not "does the description in the ad sound like it'll be suitable".

Posted: Oct 30, 2007 at 16:21 Quote
dabomb666 wrote:

yeah but its fun wiyh a dual crown, and I know that Marzocci didn´t make a 170/180 fork this year, wich is what they use but theyre smart.

Posted: Oct 30, 2007 at 16:32 Quote
08 konas suck dick
my lbs (only kona dealer in winnipeg)
says that the 08's are worse because
they down graded there parts
they went from a fox van to shit

good thing is that
they gave it a 66

cowan 07 was like 1600
cowan 08 is like 1200

talk about trying to save money

Posted: Oct 31, 2007 at 2:29 Quote
b0xx3r wrote:
08 konas suck dick
my lbs (only kona dealer in winnipeg)
says that the 08's are worse because
they down graded there parts
they went from a fox van to shit

good thing is that
they gave it a 66

cowan 07 was like 1600
cowan 08 is like 1200

talk about trying to save money

What do you mean by downgrade? The brakes are better, new frame, the other parts are the same looooong time a ago. Ok the shock is worse but others will do until breakes. However the shock is worse but the price is lower. I don't think anybody who buy a 08 Stinky will use it as in it's stock setup, at least buy a chaingude. Personally I would change the rear hub and buy a DOPE kit and 'course the chaingude. If there's a big problem with the shock I replace it.

Posted: Feb 12, 2008 at 23:49 Quote
I wan to get new forks for my bike, probably marzzochi 66's what does any1 think? Plz let me know ur opinion!!!tup Smile

Posted: Feb 20, 2008 at 23:58 Quote
Nahh you should get a Totem rides much better(and it's lighter) atleast thats my opinion Big Grin

I might consider the new 08 models though. . . .

Posted: Feb 21, 2008 at 0:20 Quote
ther pretty sick aye i rode the 08 deluxe a bit at work the other day it feels nice as. the rear end feels real solid with the larger rocker arms (06 had a bit of flex).

Posted: Feb 21, 2008 at 0:33 Quote
dksrider wrote:
Nahh you should get a Totem rides much better(and it's lighter) atleast thats my opinion Big Grin

I might consider the new 08 models though. . . .
cheers

Posted: Feb 21, 2008 at 0:56 Quote
im buyen one in 2 weeks and i cant WAIT!!!
i've riden the bike and they feel good as,, especially the suspension (love the 66's)
the bike would be loads better if it had a different rear shock but it's still an awsome bike!!..tup

Posted: Feb 21, 2008 at 3:42 Quote
erm the 08 shock is the Van R's rival, the marzocchi Roco R, its got the same adjustments, and most of you will probably not feel th difference.

Posted: Feb 21, 2008 at 21:06 Quote
i prefer the Van R's to the Marzocchi Rocco R cos the Van's have the oil resivour and will perform better for longer.. but thats my opinionSmile

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.016503
Mobile Version of Website