"Official" how high can you Bunny Hop (any kind of bike)

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
"Official" how high can you Bunny Hop (any kind of bike)
Posted: Sep 28, 2009 at 17:52 Quote
yeah i find on flat im not fully tucked, but out of a bank im tucking for my life straight off the lip and my jeans pockets get chomped up

Posted: Sep 28, 2009 at 17:54 Quote
I'd agree with that, although sometimes for me it's the opposite. Once in a while I'll get freaked out hopping onto something high like a picnic table and take my feet off just as I land on the table. I can do it clean, but there's just some fear I have about smashing my back wheel on really high stuff, even though I know I can do it.

Posted: Sep 28, 2009 at 17:57 Quote
yeah thats like me with airing. i know i can get the hop but i either pop too high and land to flat or i slightly case. just when i charge the lip i panic and either brake or carve heaps but im teaching myself not to do that

Posted: Sep 28, 2009 at 17:58 Quote
It's easier to tuck up onto something than flat tuck. When you're airborne and you tuck, the force from your legs starts to send the bike nose heavy. If you're hopping flat, you have a long way to come down, so you either need to tuck less, or get that rear end down. While hopping up something, you don't need to over-exaggerate your body to land cleanly.

Posted: Sep 28, 2009 at 18:08 Quote
yea its deffinatly easier to tuck hard up something then to do it on flat. your right, every time i try to hop high on flat i always struggle to get the rear end down. then some times when i hope up something to high i do the opposite and cant get the front down and i have to bail of the back.

theres a lot of timing involved to. haha, one time i was going like 20-30 mph and i tried to hop up a curb and i was way to early and ended up casing my back so hard. i almost shit myself. that curb almost killed me...

Posted: Sep 28, 2009 at 18:15 Quote
my record is 36in w/ my street bike, which happens to be over the bars Smile

Posted: Sep 28, 2009 at 22:01 Quote
I got pretty good at hopping. I posted some pics on here earlier, and you can see for yourself. but then one day I was going for a smallish object cemented to the sidewalk. I misjudged the length of it and went far too slow. I ended up not jumping high enough (although I know I could have made it. it was smaller than things I've hit before.) I caught my back wheel on it and it kicked my tail up. I never let go of the bars because it happened so fast. next thing I knew I was on the ground in pain. I couldn't move my wrist. people where shouting stuff like "OH SHIT" and "ARE YOU OKAY?!?!" I was dazed and confused and broken and in pain. I just couldn't grasp why I didn't make it. I should have made it! what went wrong? why? why does it hurt? where am I? should I call my mom? naw, I don't have my helmet on. she'll freak. god, it hurts. owww! I wanna go HOME. I ended up walking 13 blocks with a broken wrist and a bike. thats harder than it sounds btw. ever since that day, I've had real confidence issues. I'm learning to get over it. but its scary. and hard. I still try. I still ride.

Posted: Sep 28, 2009 at 22:07 Quote
That stuff always sucks. Hate going down head first, it's honestly the WORST feeling ever.

I remember riding without a helmet, and I went to hop over an industrial pylon out of a bank. Juuuuust caught my rear end, and I don't remember all but a few hours after that. Haven't hopped it since.

O+ FL
Posted: Sep 28, 2009 at 22:19 Quote
a foot and a half on my DH bike clipped in.

Posted: Sep 28, 2009 at 23:34 Quote
2.5+ feeet almost 3

Posted: Sep 28, 2009 at 23:41 Quote
450mm measured on the Jackal. Gaining mills every sesh haha...

Posted: Sep 29, 2009 at 8:36 Quote
Tribikefarce wrote:
I got pretty good at hopping. I posted some pics on here earlier, and you can see for yourself. but then one day I was going for a smallish object cemented to the sidewalk. I misjudged the length of it and went far too slow. I ended up not jumping high enough (although I know I could have made it. it was smaller than things I've hit before.) I caught my back wheel on it and it kicked my tail up. I never let go of the bars because it happened so fast. next thing I knew I was on the ground in pain. I couldn't move my wrist. people where shouting stuff like "OH SHIT" and "ARE YOU OKAY?!?!" I was dazed and confused and broken and in pain. I just couldn't grasp why I didn't make it. I should have made it! what went wrong? why? why does it hurt? where am I? should I call my mom? naw, I don't have my helmet on. she'll freak. god, it hurts. owww! I wanna go HOME. I ended up walking 13 blocks with a broken wrist and a bike. thats harder than it sounds btw. ever since that day, I've had real confidence issues. I'm learning to get over it. but its scary. and hard. I still try. I still ride.

The confidence will slowly come back. It'll take time, but it'll come back. I felt the same way after I broke my ankle a few years ago. I was scared to try anything for fear of ending up in the ambulance again.

Posted: Sep 29, 2009 at 13:20 Quote
I thought a j-hop was when you hop sideways?

Posted: Sep 29, 2009 at 13:23 Quote
its not easy, but its coming back.

Posted: Sep 29, 2009 at 13:34 Quote
over a can of red bull on my big hit Smile
lol hey i'm making the front lighter!

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.023629
Mobile Version of Website