Powered by Outside

single speed with vertical drop outs PLEASE HELP

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
single speed with vertical drop outs PLEASE HELP
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jun 5, 2008 at 12:42 Quote
ok im currently running single speed on my hardtail with a tensioner.

the rear ring is 16t and i was wondering if the chain would be tight enough to ride without a tensioner if i bought a 15 or 17t ring insted as if the chain was only about 4mm longer or shorter id be able to do it on my 16t

Posted: Jun 5, 2008 at 12:43 Quote
what kind of chainring you have ,32?

Posted: Jun 5, 2008 at 12:44 Quote
if you have 4mm to spare on your dropouts, then that would be fine, i guess?

Posted: Jun 5, 2008 at 12:44 Quote
trek2 wrote:

er no a 36 i think 1 sec will double check

Posted: Jun 5, 2008 at 12:46 Quote
mongoose-jumper wrote:
trek2 wrote:

er no a 36 i think 1 sec will double check

yea it a 32

Posted: Jun 5, 2008 at 12:48 Quote
bike-r wrote:
if you have 4mm to spare on your dropouts, then that would be fine, i guess?

yea i was thinking or fileing them back closer to the bb but i dont want to incase it weaken the frame

Posted: Jun 5, 2008 at 12:49 Quote
No. Save yourself the trouble and expense and just accept the fact you'll eventually have to run a tensioner as long as you have vertical dropouts. And use the search tool for this topic you'll get a lot of info from past discussions.

Posted: Jun 5, 2008 at 12:53 Quote
warthog wrote:
No. Save yourself the trouble and expense and just accept the fact you'll eventually have to run a tensioner as long as you have vertical dropouts. And use the search tool for this topic you'll get a lot of info from past discussions.

il buy a 15t rear ring and see if that works if not ow well guess ill have to just keep my tension like u said

Posted: Jun 5, 2008 at 12:57 Quote
Just trying to save you a few bucks, mate. You might get it to fit at first, and you'll be all happy and crap, then couple days later, you see your chain slacking down to the chainstay. Think about this, why do you think they make chain tensioners in the first place?? Roll on brother.

Posted: Jun 5, 2008 at 13:01 Quote
i think the nicest LOOKING setup for this is to use a chainguide in the front, and not a little "no-railleur" setup in the rear. i always had problems with those, but set it up with a good chain tensioner and it's sweet, and looks more slick (nothing hanging off the back, looks like a real SS). it's all in how long your stays are too, but i wouldn't suggest doing anything other than running a tensioner or getting a new frame with horizontal drops.

Posted: Jun 5, 2008 at 13:03 Quote
nfiorito wrote:
i think the nicest LOOKING setup for this is to use a chainguide in the front, and not a little "no-railleur" setup in the rear. i always had problems with those, but set it up with a good chain tensioner and it's sweet, and looks more slick (nothing hanging off the back, looks like a real SS). it's all in how long your stays are too, but i wouldn't suggest doing anything other than running a tensioner or getting a new frame with horizontal drops.

i have a mongoose fireball frame with horizontals but i dont really like the look of it or the colour
thanks for the advice bout front chainguide tho i was actually considering doing it but wasnt sure how much they weigh

Posted: Jun 5, 2008 at 13:05 Quote
hey im running a tensoner also....anybody got any suggestions on good ones cus mine sucks dick....mine has a spring and i was wonder if anybody knew how the fixed ones like the dmr one ran.....

Posted: Jun 5, 2008 at 13:06 Quote
mongoose-jumper wrote:
nfiorito wrote:

i have a mongoose fireball frame with horizontals but i dont really like the look of it or the colour
thanks for the advice bout front chainguide tho i was actually considering doing it but wasnt sure how much they weigh
im running a tensioner with a chain guide and the chain stays on but its heavy and it looks gay

Posted: Jun 5, 2008 at 13:15 Quote
dudes check this one out, someone else is running it. he says it works great and no tensioner in the back.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=2307

photo

webber123's bike...

Posted: Jun 5, 2008 at 13:20 Quote
warthog wrote:
dudes check this one out, someone else is running it. he says it works great and no tensioner in the back.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=2307

ow WOW!!! thats exactly wat im looking for lol and great idea that u dont need to bolt it on and that it mounts onto the seat post

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.402889
Mobile Version of Website