Diabetic Riders

Posted: Feb 10, 2016 at 16:38 Quote
10 grand annually ( since using the dexcom 5 g a year )

so that's 3 x 10 grand
30 Grand

+ 25 years diabetic previously @ 5 grand a year roughly

125 grand !!!

total 155,000 spent just cause im a diabetic... if I want diabetic I could have bought a house with the money I would have saved.

Frown

Posted: Feb 10, 2016 at 16:44 Quote
phatplat wrote:
therealtylerdurden wrote:
Badass! Diabetes sucks! I remember when I was a counselor at diabetes camp, half of the counselors said if there was a cure, they wouldn't want it.. It was insightful, apparently some people feel that they are so dull that they need diabetes to have as a personality trait to make themselves more interesting! I'd take a cure in a heartbeat.

I think that is a common theme with a lot of "issues". I know some Deaf people think the implants are wrong because they were born perfect or something. Same idea I think. I would want the cure, the time and money I would save as well as the perspective I would gain.....worth it.

^ I hear ya, but I cringe as I envision some religious person talking about how "god" makes people perfect. FECK that.. ( religion also... feck it its idiotic ) I would gladly become fully mechanized if they could preserve my brain in the machiene if it meant not being diabetic.

ive been diabetic for 28 years.. 15 of those years I didn't take care of it at all really and so now at 36 years of age I have monthy injection in my eyes to maintain my vision, receeding nerves in feet and hands, arterial calsification, hypertension, and a possible thyroid problem,... these are just things I know about... anybody that would rather be a diabetic I will happily trade with.

Posted: Feb 10, 2016 at 17:11 Quote
dmadness wrote:
10 grand annually ( since using the dexcom 5 g a year )

so that's 3 x 10 grand
30 Grand

+ 25 years diabetic previously @ 5 grand a year roughly

125 grand !!!

total 155,000 spent just cause im a diabetic... if I want diabetic I could have bought a house with the money I would have saved.

Frown

Naw, you woulda spent It on lots and lots of bike shit instead. lol I feel ya though, paying just to survive, aside from food/water/etc, is f*cking aggravating!

dmadness wrote:
phatplat wrote:
therealtylerdurden wrote:
Badass! Diabetes sucks! I remember when I was a counselor at diabetes camp, half of the counselors said if there was a cure, they wouldn't want it.. It was insightful, apparently some people feel that they are so dull that they need diabetes to have as a personality trait to make themselves more interesting! I'd take a cure in a heartbeat.

I think that is a common theme with a lot of "issues". I know some Deaf people think the implants are wrong because they were born perfect or something. Same idea I think. I would want the cure, the time and money I would save as well as the perspective I would gain.....worth it.

^ I hear ya, but I cringe as I envision some religious person talking about how "god" makes people perfect. FECK that.. ( religion also... feck it its idiotic ) I would gladly become fully mechanized if they could preserve my brain in the machiene if it meant not being diabetic.

ive been diabetic for 28 years.. 15 of those years I didn't take care of it at all really and so now at 36 years of age I have monthy injection in my eyes to maintain my vision, receeding nerves in feet and hands, arterial calsification, hypertension, and a possible thyroid problem,... these are just things I know about... anybody that would rather be a diabetic I will happily trade with.

Agreed to all of the above!

Posted: Feb 19, 2016 at 15:58 Quote
Hey new to the site and seen this page on the forums. It's nice to see a place where diabetic can talk about things. I've been a diabetic since i was 29,7 years ago with type 1 ,and still learning.

Posted: Feb 19, 2016 at 17:43 Quote
Welcome! How's your control going?

Posted: Feb 19, 2016 at 18:20 Quote
Not bad most of the time my a1c is in the 6's, about this winter I'm in the high 8-9 with is getting me down. Just like the weather here in Nova Scotia its nice I Have to work. Have to start doing some night ride

Posted: Feb 19, 2016 at 19:11 Quote
You'll get it back down where it belongs! tup

Posted: Feb 22, 2016 at 21:36 Quote
I just stumbled across this thread. I was just diagnosed with T1 in November. I'm a former Cat 1 roadie, raced in Europe for several years, transitioned to mountain bikes and for the last few years been really into ultra-distance mulit-day races. That changed this year.

The 'beetus learning curve is pretty steep, but I think I'm getting the hang of it. Did my firs five hour ride today in a long time. In October I hiked 10 days to mount Everest base camp and holy hell, did that nearly kill me.

I'm currently figuring out how to manage my lows on rides. What foods do you recommend?

Posted: Feb 23, 2016 at 6:55 Quote
I find real food beats energy food when it comes to that kind of stuff. I've done 8 hour mtb races and bananas, clif bars, and good old Pb and j work for me. Also keep a bag of two bite brownies in the feed zone. Quick to eat and last a little longer then juice on the sugar spike

Posted: Feb 24, 2016 at 15:15 Quote
I add some fruit juice to my hydro pack when im going on long rides, and ALWAYS carry extra sugar, a low can and will kill you if you have it in a remote location and don't have fast acting carbs. if your going on a long ride then some starch carbs for sustained release of sugar also.

my dexcom receiver died today.... im sad,.. that bastard survived central America... now its an expensive paper weight.. one week after I had to order a new transmitter.... I have spent $1700 this week being a diabetic... wah wah wah waaaaaaaa..

Salute

Posted: Feb 24, 2016 at 18:53 Quote
griff369 wrote:
I find real food beats energy food when it comes to that kind of stuff. I've done 8 hour mtb races and bananas, clif bars, and good old Pb and j work for me. Also keep a bag of two bite brownies in the feed zone. Quick to eat and last a little longer then juice on the sugar spike
Maybe, but energy drinks and bars are designed as fuel and can be taken in measured doses (sure bananas are great too).

Edit: meant to say "sports drinks", I wasn't referring to Red Bull etc.

Posted: Feb 24, 2016 at 20:18 Quote
energy drinks are designed to be addictive and are shit for you... tons of glucose, bad idea. understand if nothing else how to count carbs and how to stack carbs with fast and slow acting to maintain stable sugar during heavy exercise.
Salute

Posted: Feb 24, 2016 at 20:31 Quote
The glycemic index is your friend! Smile

Posted: Feb 25, 2016 at 1:37 Quote
Thanks for the suggestions. I have always been a fan of Dr. Lim's book, Portables. I tend to take real foods on rides, but I find I'm burning through far more food than normal. As for the suggestion to always have fast acting carbs with me, my paranoia has me loaded like a pack mule with all sorts of snacks. I leave home without a ton of carbs in my pocket and I feel like I'm naked.

I'm still learning how to manage all of this. Just woke up at 2AM with a BS of 45. That's a first.

Posted: Feb 25, 2016 at 10:27 Quote
I dunno what 45 is ( in Canada we have 1.0 - 30.0 mmol ) but I wager its low.. yeah my car also looks like a candy shop and as a general rule I don't go for remote rides if I don't have enough sugar to survive several lows and the possibility of spending the night in the woods. plan for the worst, Ive been dead once from diabetes!! not gonna happen a second time.
Salute

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.015684
Mobile Version of Website