What are the benefits about the Marzocchi 888? Is it a good fork?

PB Forum :: Downhill
What are the benefits about the Marzocchi 888? Is it a good fork?
Posted: Nov 9, 2008 at 22:06 Quote
demonbiker48 wrote:
mostly true but the 888 are the smoothest most plush fork ive ridding so...
jackaljumps wrote:
i dident read the thread so i dont know if this has been said already. 888 are heavyier than say a boxxer or fox 40 because they are full of fluid, but that means they require less maintnence because they are well lubricated.

i personaly havent ridden any of the 888's so im a bit of a noob, what i just said came from what i have heard and read so correct me if im wrong

alright, cool. i just got a 40 so im gonna try out the "high maintnence fork and see how it works out)

Posted: Nov 9, 2008 at 22:11 Quote
the wight of the 888ata wc is between the boxxer wc and the fox40 i think 3050kg but without the stem is near the boxxer wc. but this pneumatic suspension from the ata is amazing..

Posted: Nov 9, 2008 at 22:21 Quote
i picked up an 09 888 ata wc and its great easy to adjust on the fly
photo

btw its 7lbs with the direct-mount stem and every thing
Edit: it was only $975 on ebay

Posted: Nov 9, 2008 at 22:22 Quote
I have a 09 Fox 40RC2. Its a little soft for me only because i do alot of FR on it. Thats why i am thinking about switching to a 888RC3 WC. I don't know of any other triple crown fork that is best for FRding.

Posted: Nov 9, 2008 at 22:42 Quote
Fox 40s are high maintenance, if you follow the Fox advised maintenance you will need to change the semi bath quite frequently, if you do a lot of resort riding you might even have to change it weekly... and the bushings basically have to be changed annually. The RC2 cartridge also may need occasional work on the main seal, but if you know how to do it it is easy. You need to keep your seals CLEAN to help maintain your bushings.

Boxxers are lower maintenance but you need to change the seals when you change the semi bath to help keep it from leaking.

Marzo's are pretty low maintenance but are heavy because of the oil. New 888's take over 600ml of oil. That's a lot. You can also play with different oil weights to change the stiffness, etc. Changing the oil every 6 months makes them feel great. But, at the end of the day they are probably about 1 1/2 pounds heavier than a 40 or Boxxer.

Posted: Nov 9, 2008 at 22:44 Quote
barnz0rz wrote:
Fox 40s are high maintenance, if you follow the Fox advised maintenance you will need to change the semi bath quite frequently, if you do a lot of resort riding you might even have to change it weekly... and the bushings basically have to be changed annually. The RC2 cartridge also may need occasional work on the main seal, but if you know how to do it it is easy. You need to keep your seals CLEAN to help maintain your bushings.

Boxxers are lower maintenance but you need to change the seals when you change the semi bath to help keep it from leaking.

Marzo's are pretty low maintenance but are heavy because of the oil. New 888's take over 600ml of oil. That's a lot. You can also play with different oil weights to change the stiffness, etc. Changing the oil every 6 months makes them feel great. But, at the end of the day they are probably about 1 1/2 pounds heavier than a 40 or Boxxer.

resort riding?

Posted: Nov 10, 2008 at 14:38 Quote
jackaljumps wrote:
barnz0rz wrote:

resort riding?
whistler/sun peak's/silverstar etc..

Posted: Nov 10, 2008 at 21:30 Quote
BarqsRootBEEEEEEER wrote:
jackaljumps wrote:
barnz0rz wrote:

resort riding?
whistler/sun peak's/silverstar etc..

thats what i thaught

Posted: Nov 10, 2008 at 22:37 Quote
yesterday i was on the race track with my new 888 ata wc 2008 wood-rockgardens- speed i can say that she works!! Really Mad Cool Really Mad

Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://www.booch.ch/judge-dredd.jpg

O+
Posted: Nov 10, 2008 at 22:51 Quote
thayre tanks. they weigh a little more but if uve hurd of this really cool place called the gym (most ppl around here havent)an extra 7oz. on the front of your bike isnt anything to be complaining about, espicialy when your friends are boasting about their 37lbs bike that they're walking back to the car with blown seals every other weekendend.

go for RC3

Posted: Nov 10, 2008 at 22:55 Quote
or go for a rc2x. speaking of which.....im selling mine Big Grin

Posted: Nov 10, 2008 at 23:39 Quote
i just got an 09 888 rc3 and i love the thing

Posted: Nov 11, 2008 at 9:10 Quote
This is a no brainer, RC3 is the way to go. If you think it makes your front too heavy, just go tubeless. Just FORGET about the rest. It's strong, it's plush and it's maintenance free. I've tried em all, even the BOS Idylle and the new boxxer doesn't feel that plush.

Posted: Nov 11, 2008 at 9:15 Quote
a think mine has butter for springs as it is so plush

O+
Posted: Nov 11, 2008 at 16:30 Quote
hedi wrote:
Last year i had a Boxxer WC and did not really like it, so i switched to a 888 WC RC3 and i just LOVE it. I can rely on it, it's much stiffer(torsion)and easyer to service.I would not recommend the ATA version. Air springs are just a pain in the ass. With the Marzocchi i have the MX plushness and the strenght to take big hits. The Rock Shox is a toy, Marzocchi is the shit.
The boxxer is very easy to service

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.020725
Mobile Version of Website