Bendy frames... has it come to this?

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
Bendy frames... has it come to this?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jun 17, 2008 at 5:02 Quote
I made this thread so people can exchange their opinions and talk about the new "style" of bike frames that the companies are creating. Im talking about bendy frames.
photo

Specialized has this comming out (red SX trail and the grey one is a Bighit). - 2009
photo

Norco already has the 2008 Norco shore series and the Six series.

Why bendy frames? Is it for the lower center of gravity, or... You tell me.
What do you guys think.
Are all the bikes gonna come to this?
What do you think the companies have in store for the future?

Please dont put false information.
I already searched the forums to make sure I didnt do a thread that already existed.
Their is this one but... theirs no point really to it :
https://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=38065&pagenum=2

Thanks.

Posted: Jun 17, 2008 at 5:06 Quote
I think its mostly aesthetics, and it also gives you a much lower standover height..

Posted: Jun 17, 2008 at 5:07 Quote
Namely it's for a lower stand over height. On the SX the downtube, the additional bend may provide a front fender (similar to the design on the Flatline). You have to remember bikes aren't designed by engineers, but rather industrial designers who make things "look pretty". It is then up to the engineer to produce the bike. Surprised they didn't call the SX the Slopestyle, they could have followed two big trends and sold a gagillion of them (not that they won't anyways). I look forward to puking on the trail.

Posted: Jun 17, 2008 at 5:10 Quote
excuse my ingnorace if this is completely wrong, but surely a bendy frame would be weaker as it has already deformed?

Posted: Jun 17, 2008 at 5:13 Quote
yeah a bendy tube is structurally weaker than an equivalent straight one but i like the new bighit!

Posted: Jun 17, 2008 at 5:17 Quote
cjmcbrierty wrote:
yeah a bendy tube is structurally weaker than an equivalent straight one but i like the new bighit!

ok. i reckon they look pretty cool- i guess they're marmite frames that you either love or hate

Posted: Jun 17, 2008 at 8:37 Quote
i love the look of them and it would definatley save the testicles now and then.

Posted: Jun 17, 2008 at 8:44 Quote
its the way of the future,same as square into round all them years ago.

Posted: Jun 17, 2008 at 8:47 Quote
i donno . please dont shout abuse if im wrong, but arnt these frames hydroformed, meaning they dent and crack really easy?

also im not sure about the geometry, i mean look how slack the head angle is on the sx trail

Posted: Jun 17, 2008 at 8:50 Quote
angus05 wrote:
i donno . please dont shout abuse if im wrong, but arnt these frames hydroformed, meaning they dent and crack really easy?

also im not sure about the geometry, i mean look how slack the head angle is on the sx trail

wrong,hydroforming uses high pressures to force the metal into shape and if done correctly will be stronger than a normal frame.

and slack is good.

Posted: Jun 17, 2008 at 8:58 Quote
slack is good to a degree. but for an all around freeride bike you wouldn't want it too slack. but its probably just the angle the pic was taken. I am interested to see how this hyrdoforming holds up, i know other companies have been doing it but the bendiness isn't really that attractive to me.

i like that norco

Thumbs Down Rolleyes .... 2 cents

Makes them look like girls bikes from dept store. What a freat idea by Norco, Now there bikes are silly looking not just heavy.

Swoopy frame designs make bay jesus Cry

Posted: Jun 17, 2008 at 8:59 Quote
donno bout slacker head angles being better. forks that are almost placed vertically are a lot plusher. anyway, wouldnt a slacker head angle make it easier to snap the headtube?

Posted: Jun 17, 2008 at 8:59 Quote
makripper wrote:
slack is good to a degree. but for an all around freeride bike you wouldn't want it too slack. but its probably just the angle the pic was taken. I am interested to see how this hyrdoforming holds up, i know other companies have been doing it but the bendiness isn't really that attractive to me.

slack girls are good then,i reckon im gonna get flamed for that.

• Previous Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.010061
Mobile Version of Website