How is the turner dhr?

PB Forum :: Downhill
How is the turner dhr?
Posted: Jun 25, 2008 at 10:32 Quote
Flickable means nimcle and quick, the opposite of sluggish and big. And it is important in a dh bike.

Posted: Jun 26, 2008 at 4:33 Quote
Termenaitor wrote:
Flickable means nimcle and quick, the opposite of sluggish and big. And it is important in a dh bike.

I am quite familiar with the term flickable, and if that is a very important characteristic that you are looking for in a dh bike, then I would rule out both the Turner and Sunday and look more towards an all mountain or even a slope style bike. The Turner is very plush, and can rail corners at high speed due to it low centre of gravity and rider position. On steep chutes and rock gardens it tracks smooth and does not buck you off the bike due to its excellent suspension and geo. The Turner is also on the heavy side and all these characteristics that make it an awesome dh bike also make it less "flickable". Check out the Commencal DH Supreme, it might be more what you are looking for.

Posted: Jun 26, 2008 at 6:05 Quote
dhpig wrote:
Termenaitor wrote:

I am quite familiar with the term flickable, and if that is a very important characteristic that you are looking for in a dh bike, then I would rule out both the Turner and Sunday and look more towards an all mountain or even a slope style bike. The Turner is very plush, and can rail corners at high speed due to it low centre of gravity and rider position. On steep chutes and rock gardens it tracks smooth and does not buck you off the bike due to its excellent suspension and geo. The Turner is also on the heavy side and all these characteristics that make it an awesome dh bike also make it less "flickable". Check out the Commencal DH Supreme, it might be more what you are looking for.
Madder
Flickable, but not flickable like an AM bike.
The v-10 and demo aren't flickable, the sunday is, and I hope the dhr is too.

Posted: Jun 26, 2008 at 6:43 Quote
Termenaitor wrote:
dhpig wrote:
Termenaitor wrote:

Madder
Flickable, but not flickable like an AM bike.
The v-10 and demo aren't flickable, the sunday is, and I hope the dhr is too.

The V-10 and Demo 9 can plow through anything. The newer V-10 is a bit more agile than the older V-10. The Turner DHR is just below the V-10 and the Demo 9 in terms of its ability to plow through rough sections. The Sunday and Turner's ride is very similar (I have owned both). What kind of riding and terrain do you ride the most? No sense looking at a huge travel bikes for flow courses. What bike do you ride now and what do you want to improve on? This info will help us make better informed suggestions. I am a big fan of allot of bikes, as long as the bike is suited to the terrain and conditions. On some hills I would not give you a dime for my friends V-10, and on other course, I would sell my soul for a V-10.

Posted: Jun 27, 2008 at 6:24 Quote
I ride a giant reign x, although it's a great bike I want a more downhill oriented bike, because I have progressed alot and I feel it's time. I want a bike that will be stable at speed, also I want it to have plush suspension that will let me ride over obstacles at ease(rocks)...but not to sluggish suspension that the bike will feel heavy and clumsy. And a big bonus will be that it will be able to jump good.

Posted: Jun 27, 2008 at 6:38 Quote
Have you tried the Giant Glory? Never ridden the Reign, buy the Glory appears to be a natural progression from the Reign. The Giant Glory is one of the best values in DH bikes. Everyone I know who has a Glory, loves the bike.

Posted: Jun 27, 2008 at 6:52 Quote
The socom isn't what I want..
But I can get the glory frame for a lot cheaper then the dhr frame, should I?
Anyway, if I'm getting one of those frames I need to buy a new rear wheel, cranks and a fork and put all my current parts on. So I can get the glory and get a better fork...or the dhr and get a not so good fork..so what should I get? or I can buy a good second hand dhr(I saw it and it's pretty awsome) or a new sunday expert.
All for the same price..soooo what should I get?

Posted: Jun 27, 2008 at 6:54 Quote
glory dh froma is 1850 new strait from giant.. the meastro is a solid set up.. pedals well... giant is good on their warranty's... the dhr though is jus sick and it has a two year transferable wannanty... id pick the dhr

Posted: Jun 27, 2008 at 7:52 Quote
So this is your dilemma.....Do I buy a tricked out Glory now, or a Turner DHR with less than ideal parts and spec it out later?

If you are guy who tends to keeps his bike for a couple of years, then buy the frame of your dream and upgrade the parts as funds become available. If you are a bit impatient, buy the Glory now, you will not regret it. Also, remember that the Glory is relatively cheap and easy to re-sell if you change your mind. Now, if it was me, and funds were tight, I would ride the Giant Reign X for the balance of the season and pick up a used Turner fully spec’d out at season’s end when used bikes are cheaper. Either way, you are going to be happy.

Posted: Jun 27, 2008 at 7:57 Quote
dhpig wrote:
So this is your dilemma.....Do I buy a tricked out Glory now, or a Turner DHR with less than ideal parts and spec it out later?

If you are guy who tends to keeps his bike for a couple of years, then buy the frame of your dream and upgrade the parts as funds become available. If you are a bit impatient, buy the Glory now, you will not regret it. Also, remember that the Glory is relatively cheap and easy to re-sell if you change your mind. Now, if it was me, and funds were tight, I would ride the Giant Reign X for the balance of the season and pick up a used Turner fully spec’d out at season’s end when used bikes are cheaper. Either way, you are going to be happy.
Well its not like the glory is a bad bikeWink
I mean I can buy a dhr frame, and get an ok fork, or a glory frame and a good fork.
Or for the same price a new sunday expert or fully and nicely specced(sp???) dhr.
So what to do? Is the dhr alot better then the glory? Or is the price difference just because giant is HUGE and can afford it?

Posted: Jun 27, 2008 at 8:00 Quote
Termenaitor wrote:
dhpig wrote:

Well its not like the glory is a bad bikeWink
I mean I can buy a dhr frame, and get an ok fork, or a glory frame and a good fork.
Or for the same price a new sunday expert or fully and nicely specced(sp???) dhr.
So what to do? Is the dhr alot better then the glory? Or is the price difference just because giant is HUGE and can afford it?

sunday expert is not such a great buy... 888r no piggy back rear shock... its not worth it... and the best way to decide that is to sit on em if you can... ask around... u live in vernon man... that place is cover in sweet rides... do some scouting of your own and see what u can come up with

Posted: Jun 29, 2008 at 7:03 Quote
O.k, any one else?

Posted: Jun 29, 2008 at 9:34 Quote
I have an old turner dhr and I love the bike . I thought it was going to be slow and hard to jump compared to my sxtrail . However on my first day I was going as big on it as I was on the sxtrail and IMO with less effort.

I had a smile on my face the whole day as it popped off jumps with ease and was very stable. In the roughs inbetween jumps/ stunts it flew and was butter smooth. It felt like I was floating and could not feel the rear end working it was so smooth. Now that I have had more time and more downhill time on it I can say I would recomend it to anyone wanting a fast ,smooth,agile,flickable bike that eats rockgardens and rails corners. The newer one is lighter and slacker but I like the older square tube version and it can be drilled to lower the BB and slacken it out down to 64 if you desire.

Posted: Jun 29, 2008 at 10:57 Quote
clkwrk wrote:
I have an old turner dhr and I love the bike . I thought it was going to be slow and hard to jump compared to my sxtrail . However on my first day I was going as big on it as I was on the sxtrail and IMO with less effort.

I had a smile on my face the whole day as it popped off jumps with ease and was very stable. In the roughs inbetween jumps/ stunts it flew and was butter smooth. It felt like I was floating and could not feel the rear end working it was so smooth. Now that I have had more time and more downhill time on it I can say I would recomend it to anyone wanting a fast ,smooth,agile,flickable bike that eats rockgardens and rails corners. The newer one is lighter and slacker but I like the older square tube version and it can be drilled to lower the BB and slacken it out down to 64 if you desire.
K thanks.
So I'm gonna head out soon see if I like the dhr, glory, ec-d or sunday the best.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012973
Mobile Version of Website