Home Made Bikes

Posted: Oct 30, 2017 at 0:20 Quote
Just got some paint on this badboy,
I have recycled the rear end from an old transition dirtbag and built a new front to build up this tandem,
Hoping to ride some local enduro events on it.
photo
Build pics hopefully before the weekend!

Posted: Oct 30, 2017 at 10:17 Quote
Awesome!! Can't wait to see more pics!

Posted: Nov 1, 2017 at 17:15 Quote
photo

photo
I posted a long time ago having just built this frame up for my a level project, i apologise for not replying sooner. I have been riding this bike ALOT, and it has honestly been amazing. It has given me the upmost satisfaction riding something i spent so long on. Heres a little more background on the bike:

This bike was my final project for my second year of A-Level Product Design. I decided i wanted to build an agressive, steel trail hardtail, and i wanted to fillet braze it. I was extremely lucky at my secondary school to have access to the tubing and parts suppliers, brazing equipment, some jigs and also other machinery i needed for this project. I also had access to the invaluable experience of a professional framebuilder, and my teacher for product design ( Andrew Jones of Moss Bikes). I was lucky enough on the way to work with Tom from BTR fabrications, who was invaluable in helping me refine the geometry of the bike.

With a 66.5 degree head angle and 73 degree seat tube angle. I can't remember the chainstay length but i think it was around 435mm. The bike uses a columbus zona front triangle, and for increased mud/tyre clearance and to allow me to shorten the chainstays i offset the seat tube on the bottom bracket by 5mm. The down tube features the curve near the head tube to allow for clearance of a fork crown in the event of the crash, with the external lower cup headset on the 44mm head tube i am using currently this is irrelevant obviously, but in the event of using a different headset of fork setup this might come in handy. The rear triangle is from Dediacci (probably spelt incorrectly) and their 29er specific seat and chainstays. The dropouts are courtesy of Paragon Machineworks.

There are a few things i would like to change about this bike, and i will probably end up making a V2 of this frame - i would like to tidy up the cable routing, and add the routing for an internal dropper post from the start. I also feel like the rear end could be stiffer, and i would like to perhaps use some kind of yoke or a stiffer brace especially at the chainstays.

I learnt alot from this project, obviously about frame design, fillet brazing and other framebuilding specific skills - but also about how much work is required and how much work i could actually do when i put my mind to it.

Id you are still with me, the bike rides excellently. With the slack head angle it is very confident descending, and i have used it at some quite rough technically trails with no issues (I am lucky to be fairly local to Eastridge, which has some excellent technical rocky trails) It also climbs well enough for a bike of its travel, although perhaps i would go even steeper on the seat angle for next time. The build kit is excellent, i recently replaced the drivetrain, but it was a like-for-like replacement so no issues. My Revelation RCT3 forks are still running nicely, although they are definitely due a service soon. I obviously have plans for a V2 of this frame, and having recently built a jig with a friend of mine i have the ability to do it at home. On the bike of this project i also, along with some friends who also have some experience in framebuilding launched my own bespoke bicycle company. I have loose plans for a full sus in the works, but that may be a while off yet.

Cheers for reading, i hope you like the bike.

Ben

Posted: Nov 1, 2017 at 17:29 Quote
Scotj009 wrote:
Did you make a jig yourself as well? Do you not have to leave it at school till september?

Got any pictures of the building process?
It had to be at school until the end of june, so the exam board could come in and have a look at it if they wanted too.

There are a selection of mixed photos from different stages of the build in the album on my photo - its called FPF Mowgli Handbuilt Frame or something if you want to check it out.

My the school had some jigs for lugged bikes, my teacher had a full on professional jig. I also made an acrylic jig for the rear end to be tacked (chainstays to bb)

O+
Posted: Nov 2, 2017 at 2:38 Quote
Fair enough, sounds like you had all the right people to help you out, what was your final grade for your coursework then?

Posted: Nov 2, 2017 at 5:05 Quote
Scotj009 wrote:
Fair enough, sounds like you had all the right people to help you out, what was your final grade for your coursework then?
A*

Posted: Nov 2, 2017 at 5:57 Quote
TenBurner wrote:
photo

photo
I posted a long time ago having just built this frame up for my a level project, i apologise for not replying sooner. I have been riding this bike ALOT, and it has honestly been amazing. It has given me the upmost satisfaction riding something i spent so long on. Heres a little more background on the bike:

This bike was my final project for my second year of A-Level Product Design. I decided i wanted to build an agressive, steel trail hardtail, and i wanted to fillet braze it. I was extremely lucky at my secondary school to have access to the tubing and parts suppliers, brazing equipment, some jigs and also other machinery i needed for this project. I also had access to the invaluable experience of a professional framebuilder, and my teacher for product design ( Andrew Jones of Moss Bikes). I was lucky enough on the way to work with Tom from BTR fabrications, who was invaluable in helping me refine the geometry of the bike.

With a 66.5 degree head angle and 73 degree seat tube angle. I can't remember the chainstay length but i think it was around 435mm. The bike uses a columbus zona front triangle, and for increased mud/tyre clearance and to allow me to shorten the chainstays i offset the seat tube on the bottom bracket by 5mm. The down tube features the curve near the head tube to allow for clearance of a fork crown in the event of the crash, with the external lower cup headset on the 44mm head tube i am using currently this is irrelevant obviously, but in the event of using a different headset of fork setup this might come in handy. The rear triangle is from Dediacci (probably spelt incorrectly) and their 29er specific seat and chainstays. The dropouts are courtesy of Paragon Machineworks.

There are a few things i would like to change about this bike, and i will probably end up making a V2 of this frame - i would like to tidy up the cable routing, and add the routing for an internal dropper post from the start. I also feel like the rear end could be stiffer, and i would like to perhaps use some kind of yoke or a stiffer brace especially at the chainstays.

I learnt alot from this project, obviously about frame design, fillet brazing and other framebuilding specific skills - but also about how much work is required and how much work i could actually do when i put my mind to it.

Id you are still with me, the bike rides excellently. With the slack head angle it is very confident descending, and i have used it at some quite rough technically trails with no issues (I am lucky to be fairly local to Eastridge, which has some excellent technical rocky trails) It also climbs well enough for a bike of its travel, although perhaps i would go even steeper on the seat angle for next time. The build kit is excellent, i recently replaced the drivetrain, but it was a like-for-like replacement so no issues. My Revelation RCT3 forks are still running nicely, although they are definitely due a service soon. I obviously have plans for a V2 of this frame, and having recently built a jig with a friend of mine i have the ability to do it at home. On the bike of this project i also, along with some friends who also have some experience in framebuilding launched my own bespoke bicycle company. I have loose plans for a full sus in the works, but that may be a while off yet.

Cheers for reading, i hope you like the bike.

Ben

bloody hell talk about going from zero to hero in one leap! nice bike, not far off the best really. problem is now you've made/ridden an epic steed, you cant really go up much...

O+
Posted: Nov 2, 2017 at 10:15 Quote
TenBurner wrote:
Scotj009 wrote:
A*

I got the same for mine lol

I think my portfolio was the helping hand, cause the frame was shit

Posted: Nov 2, 2017 at 15:26 Quote
merc-blue wrote:
Just got some paint on this badboy,
I have recycled the rear end from an old transition dirtbag and built a new front to build up this tandem,
Hoping to ride some local enduro events on it.
photo
Build pics hopefully before the weekend!
whats going to be the chainstay/seatstay size?

Posted: Nov 2, 2017 at 15:29 Quote
They will be what they are on an old transition dirtbag frame??

Posted: Nov 2, 2017 at 15:51 Quote
whattheheel wrote:
They will be what they are on an old transition dirtbag frame??
he could make some long ones. idk, make the wheel base like 2500mm

Posted: Nov 2, 2017 at 16:01 Quote
Reading is hard. I understand.

Posted: Nov 2, 2017 at 20:16 Quote
whattheheel wrote:
Reading is hard. I understand.
yes, true enough.
I thought he was going to custom weld a new triangle on instead of using the dirtbag linkage

Posted: Nov 2, 2017 at 23:03 Quote
Yeah standard seat and chain stays but with a new rocket link to run a 9.5x3 shock.

Didn't quite get all the way to finished. but still has a 2.2m wheelbase. as its 2 guys at 6 foot tall each riding...
Gonna be pretty wild to ride.
photo

Posted: Nov 3, 2017 at 6:06 Quote
Scotj009 wrote:
TenBurner wrote:
Scotj009 wrote:
A*

I got the same for mine lol

I think my portfolio was the helping hand, cause the frame was shit
Hahaha nice work man, yeah i spent hours on my portfolio as well because the school were really big on it and i didn't want the work on the bike to be let down by a less than brilliant portfolio.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.019823
Mobile Version of Website