Powered by Outside

help! 2mm gap between the bottom of my steering tube and where the ball bearings sit

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
help! 2mm gap between the bottom of my steering tube and where the ball bearings sit
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jun 28, 2008 at 9:42 Quote
there is a 2mm gap between where the ball bearings sit and the bottom of the steering tube. iv tried hitting it down but it just wont budge! but most importantly... is this a problem? is it safe to use? and what can i do if it isn't.

photo

Posted: Jun 28, 2008 at 9:54 Quote
Try and get that race to sit at the bottom of the tube. If not, see if your local LBS can do it.

FL
Posted: Jun 28, 2008 at 10:01 Quote
find some kind of tubing that fits over the steerer but not the race, it should sit on the flat bit of the race. now put a piece of wood over the top and use a lump hammer to tap it down if that doesnt work wrap a rag around the race then get a flathead screwdriver and GENTLY AND CAREFULLY tap it down on the flat bit that the bearings dont touch until its flush with the fork Joker

Posted: Jun 28, 2008 at 10:03 Quote
i had the same problem when i changed my forks, my solution was to heat the ring carefully so it expanded...

Posted: Jun 28, 2008 at 10:11 Quote
kimkruse wrote:
i had the same problem when i changed my forks, my solution was to heat the ring carefully so it expanded...

thats what i was thinking of trying but wouldnt it snap if it came under high pressure

FL
Posted: Jun 28, 2008 at 10:13 Quote
i'd be more worried about it warping the ring headsets are very precisely engineered to fit together so tight if it changes shape even a little it could bugger your headset upJoker

Posted: Jun 28, 2008 at 10:26 Quote
I just put mine on my bike like that. And after a few minutes of riding the bearings in your headset will push it down. Then all I did was tighten up the headset before any real damage was done

Posted: Jun 28, 2008 at 10:29 Quote
well iv just heated it up on the stove lol and it now fits fine (no gap) tup

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008558
Mobile Version of Website