PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
A frame made out of FOAM!
Posted: Jul 4, 2008 at 18:19 Quote
a civic driving aroud?

Posted: Jul 4, 2008 at 18:20 Quote
greasemonkeys wrote:
-M--P- wrote:
dotca wrote:
The only reason I would make a foam frame is for a pre production prototype to see what it would look like before I take it too metal. Like they do with cars.

haha imagine a foam civic riding around. at least it wouldnt rust

New cars generally don't rust?

my dad has had a 08 accord in his shop before because of rusting quarter panels. it is hondas curse, all their cars rust from the bottom of the quarter panels and near the fender

Posted: Jul 4, 2008 at 18:21 Quote
haha want me to post pics if i start to make it?
and it could be used for alot of things..if its strong enough, it would be perfect for jumping into lakes/pools/ect..,:P

O+
Posted: Jul 4, 2008 at 18:21 Quote
so true, my dad in his 97 civic can out drive my friends dad in his 07 porsche 911 turbo

Posted: Jul 4, 2008 at 18:22 Quote
nishnash wrote:
so true, my dad in his 97 civic can out drive my friends dad in his 07 porsche 911 turbo

You should do standup.

Posted: Jul 4, 2008 at 18:23 Quote
its alot of work to make frames. i suggest the main parts such as headtube, bb, dropouts, seatube be made out of metal.

Posted: Jul 4, 2008 at 18:26 Quote
plz post pics as you do it

Posted: Jul 4, 2008 at 18:26 Quote
-M--P- wrote:
its alot of work to make frames. i suggest the main parts such as headtube, bb, dropouts, seatube be made out of metal.

oh yeah! that was gunna be a no brainer i was going to fiberglass those into it

the first prototype is prolly going to be really rough

anyone have any desing ideas?

Posted: Jul 4, 2008 at 18:30 Quote
I would be interested in seeing a building up thread for it. Check out http://www.fiberglassforums.com/, its an excellent resource when it comes to ideas for shaping fiberglass forms. You have to sign up to read through the forums but I think it would be worth your while.

Posted: Jul 4, 2008 at 18:47 Quote
you have me interested. this sounds like it could be a fun project for me during my year off of school. you should keep posting if you go through with it. i woudl suggest just copying a frame that you have now. make it exactly to spec. then if that works out well...try your own designs!

O+
Posted: Jul 4, 2008 at 18:53 Quote
Pyro011 wrote:
nishnash wrote:

You should do standup.
never said my friends dad was a good driver jeez

Posted: Jul 5, 2008 at 3:33 Quote
yeah, thats what i was thinking of doing too, it would be alot easier then measuring out my own when i could copy a frame i already have

Posted: Jul 5, 2008 at 3:35 Quote
all i can say is HAVE FUN DYING!!!!

Posted: Jul 5, 2008 at 7:36 Quote
Fibreglasses in my experience tend to weaken easily.
Its just a load of glass fibres held together by sticky stuff..
Sure, you can make it really strong, but each bump will damage a few fibres, and that will quickly build up until all the fibres are dead and you can bend the bike in half with your hand.

Just my thoughts.

O+
Posted: Jul 5, 2008 at 13:59 Quote
coldfusion wrote:
shifty78 wrote:
Are you going to wrap it in carbonfiber of fibergass?

That would work, but it will still break like a toothpick if this guy does it.
yah that would work but you would need a lot of carbon fiber

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.050445
Mobile Version of Website