A frame made out of FOAM!

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
A frame made out of FOAM!
  • Next Page
Posted: Jul 7, 2008 at 6:31 Quote
yeah ill prolly do a couple of layers of fiberglass/carbon but im just gunna experiment to see how much i should use, i just started making it and cut out the general shape of the frame out of foam, when i get the chance im gunna shave it down and get it ready top fiberglass, im gunna leave it closed i think, without any holes init for the first bit

Posted: Jul 7, 2008 at 12:58 Quote
nishnash wrote:
Pyro011 wrote:
nishnash wrote:
so true, my dad in his 97 civic can out drive my friends dad in his 07 porsche 911 turbo

You should do standup.
never said my friends dad was a good driver jeez

So what, I can outdrive a blind man in his lambo in my pinto!

Posted: Jul 7, 2008 at 20:34 Quote
I've done somew fiberglass work on boats before and as long as your useing a woven type of fiberglass and not just the random fiber type of stuff you could get some decent strength out of it. Even more so once you start over cross weaving the fiber glass strips...
one goes this way |
one goes this way \
one goes this way /
one goes this way -
and on and on you go

Posted: Jul 8, 2008 at 1:07 Quote
you might make it, but whats the point if you cant ride it?

Posted: Jul 8, 2008 at 1:18 Quote
jake95 wrote:
- the experience

- a way to get bring some creative ideas to life

- to develop a better understanding of the creative process of bicycle design/creation

- to develop a better understanding of the mechanics of suspension as it pertains to a bicycle

Posted: Jul 8, 2008 at 6:22 Quote
kicksnlicks wrote:
jake95 wrote:
- the experience

- a way to get bring some creative ideas to life

- to develop a better understanding of the creative process of bicycle design/creation

- to develop a better understanding of the mechanics of suspension as it pertains to a bicycle

Exactly! and of course the first one isnt going to be ridable, its going to be made to see if its DO-ABLE, then you can cange designs or w.e you want for the 2nd prototype and try to make it ridable later.

Posted: Jul 8, 2008 at 8:27 Quote
i dont think you should just make the frame, make the WHOLE big outta foam. like rigid forks, rims, cranks, stem, bars. etc easy things. the big would prob weigh less than pencil

Posted: Jul 8, 2008 at 9:33 Quote
-M--P- wrote:
i dont think you should just make the frame, make the WHOLE big outta foam. like rigid forks, rims, cranks, stem, bars. etc easy things. the big would prob weigh less than pencil

yeah i thought the rigid fork might be a better place to start then the frame, and the wieght of it would be rediculas. i might make those after im done the first frame.

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.065412
Mobile Version of Website