PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
Your 2Cents on a couple of bikes?
Posted: Jul 6, 2008 at 18:23 Quote
truffles wrote:
feds wrote:
konarider6666 wrote:
reign x giant glory

I second the motion. Reign X.
Thirded. Far prefer it over the Devinci and the Specialized (Yes, I've ridden both quite a bit) That's why I ended up buying a reign x1.

Same opinion reign x.

Posted: Jul 6, 2008 at 18:25 Quote
truffles wrote:
willshiels wrote:
Well sticking to the question, my vote is for the SX Trail, Why? Specialized has a good "lifetime" frame warranty, and dyno test's say it takes 2 tonnes of pressure to break the f!*ker. Also it ticks all boxes in your criteria :
170mm travel, can be built hardcore at around 36 pounds, good BB height for FR & DH, good standover height and looks awesome!
The Reign has all these things but more importantly, I've never seen a broken one, but SXT's break fairly regularly. aerosteeze (user on pb) is only 13 and he snapped his top and down tube right near the head tube, and he can't weight more than 120 pounds.
I didn't want to do this but there are huge improvements each year on the sx trail the 06's chainstays were also known to break. but yea a reign is also a good choice.

Posted: Jul 6, 2008 at 18:25 Quote
faith1rider wrote:
truffles wrote:
feds wrote:

I second the motion. Reign X.
Thirded. Far prefer it over the Devinci and the Specialized (Yes, I've ridden both quite a bit) That's why I ended up buying a reign x1.

Same opinion reign x.

same

Posted: Jul 6, 2008 at 22:05 Quote
JarrodGavin wrote:
I ride an all mountain Cove Hustler that has 5&5. I can keep up on the fast down hills but I am punishing my suspention on the stunts. I am looking for something with 7&7. Characteristics I am looking for are: decent pedalability, not too plush so it is snapy, and easy on the Lbs. The bikes I am interested in are the Specialized SX Trail II, the Demo 7, and the Devinchi Frantik II. Out of these 3 bikes wich one would you stear me towards, and why?

Look at the cannondale perp. I just bought one and love it. Its 41 pounds, but has great pedaling platform and doesnot feel like 41 pounds. Its great in the air, is plush, and handles well.

O+
Posted: Jul 6, 2008 at 22:24 Quote
Marin Quake is by far the best 7 inch freeride bike ever. Shaums March who is the World Masters Downhill champion uses one so its obviously doing the trick. With a 7 inch travel fork its versatile. You can ride resorts, pedal up fire roads to get to the top of shuttle runs, and even do Allmountain/XC (if you put smaller tires on).

The frame is bombproof and i have heard (not sure if its true or not) that only one quake frame has ever broken.

The suspension is staged so it starts of with sag, then ramps up through the travel.

I know that the old marin team dh's were really weak because i snaped one, but that was a racing frame made to only last one year (or less). The Quake was made for givener, so the frame is much more tank.

Posted: Jul 7, 2008 at 8:33 Quote
poozank wrote:
twigme wrote:
poozank wrote:
it just does rider prefrence it is also like a rip of of vpp
ya but my friends nomad feels so mutch nicer then my other friends reighn x
ride quality is differnt but the idea is the same giant should be sued for patent infringment

Because Maestro is a rip off of VPP? Look at the way the links rotate, there's no infringement. VPP owns a patent for counter rotating pivots. It also needs to be set up EXACTLY for the rider's weight, as VPP works on a very sag specific linkage. ALSO, how can you compare the Nomad to the Reign? The Nomad frame is almost as much as a BUILT Reign. Not really a good comparison. If I was getting VPP aimed at all mountain with an aggressive edge, a Nomad would not be my first choice, but a 6.6 SS would. Seeing as the OP described having his suspension bottom on some hits, I'm guessing he does jumps and drops, the 6.6 SS would excel beyond the Nomad in that area.

Both of you, please make sure you know what you're talking about, as you could very well change someone's mind on what to buy, even though it seems you know -very- little of what you're talking about, and PLEASE, work on your English.

Thanks.

Posted: Jul 7, 2008 at 9:20 Quote
samtrainor wrote:
JarrodGavin wrote:
I ride an all mountain Cove Hustler that has 5&5. I can keep up on the fast down hills but I am punishing my suspention on the stunts. I am looking for something with 7&7. Characteristics I am looking for are: decent pedalability, not too plush so it is snapy, and easy on the Lbs. The bikes I am interested in are the Specialized SX Trail II, the Demo 7, and the Devinchi Frantik II. Out of these 3 bikes wich one would you stear me towards, and why?

Look at the cannondale perp. I just bought one and love it. Its 41 pounds, but has great pedaling platform and doesnot feel like 41 pounds. Its great in the air, is plush, and handles well.
the perp was reviewed horribly by MBA

Posted: Jul 7, 2008 at 9:24 Quote
poozank wrote:
samtrainor wrote:
JarrodGavin wrote:

Reviews are very opinionated, and MBA has NEVER been know for having good reviews, especially when on the topic of Specialized, or any of the other companies they've sold out to. You've gotta remember, MBA has a different area that they ride on. They ride in Cali, this kid lives in BC. Aside from that, they could very well value different traits within the bike.

Posted: Jul 7, 2008 at 9:32 Quote
sherbet wrote:
Reviews are very opinionated, and MBA has NEVER been know for having good reviews, especially when on the topic of Specialized, or any of the other companies they've sold out to. You've gotta remember, MBA has a different area that they ride on. They ride in Cali, this kid lives in BC. Aside from that, they could very well value different traits within the bike.

Very true. Unless something outright broke on their test bike, I would take any review with a grain of salt. We all have our own ideas of what feels right especially when it comes to full suspension bikes.

Posted: Jul 7, 2008 at 18:20 Quote
sherbet wrote:
poozank wrote:
samtrainor wrote:

MBA does ususally have very opinionated reviews, and they are as famous for having bad ones as most people say Hayes brakes are junk, but that's a whole nother argument. Many people say that MBA only supports the companies that they are supported by themselves through advertisement and other things.

Posted: Jul 7, 2008 at 18:22 Quote
feds wrote:
sherbet wrote:
poozank wrote:

MBA does ususally have very opinionated reviews, and they are as famous for having bad ones as most people say Hayes brakes are junk, but that's a whole nother argument. Many people say that MBA only supports the companies that they are supported by themselves through advertisement and other things.

Such as Specialized, anything to do with Chris Cocalis, and a few other major brands. I stopped buying from them long ago.

Posted: Jul 7, 2008 at 19:20 Quote
sherbet wrote:
feds wrote:
sherbet wrote:

Such as Specialized, anything to do with Chris Cocalis, and a few other major brands. I stopped buying from them long ago.

Same here.

Posted: Jul 7, 2008 at 19:21 Quote
Anyways, back on topic.

As said, the Reign is VERY hard to beat, as is the Lucky 7.

Posted: Jul 7, 2008 at 19:24 Quote
i was just reasearching smaller bikes, and i cam across this. Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://mos.bikeradar.com/images/bikes-and-gear/bikes/mountain/MBK226.first.mong_6_prev-798-99.jpg

it goes for 2000 and lower. It has a very very nice starting kit

this beats a reign x2.

it has better brakes, drive train, fork for one. rear coil if you like air as opposed to coil, and all for 500 less

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.015624
Mobile Version of Website