Norco's suspension under braking compared to Kona's

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Norco's suspension under braking compared to Kona's
  • Next Page
Posted: Oct 20, 2007 at 14:57 Quote
you are a goof, FSR is a specialized patent design and norco pays them to use it.

Posted: Oct 20, 2007 at 15:15 Quote
are you calling me a goof ?

O+
Posted: Feb 6, 2008 at 5:28 Quote
I've been riding a 04 kona coiler, even though its only 5/5.5inchs of travel you can still feel some brake jack. Im upgrading to the 2006 stinky frame and i have a friend who has the 06 primo, there noticable brake jack but it's only worth getting the brake therapy if it prevents your riding abilities.

Its like riding a 5inch travel bike off cliffs and getting bucked off on the landings because you havn't got big travel, so you upgrade and get a 8inch travel bike and then ur not so restricted. So when ur riding really steep decents which lots of corners, which require u to have maximum control over ur speed, then get a brake therapy kit. because its neccesary.

Posted: Feb 6, 2008 at 5:32 Quote
i'm new to fullys so could someone tell me what exactly brake jack is?

O+
Posted: Feb 6, 2008 at 5:34 Quote
danielt7 wrote:
i'm new to fullys so could someone tell me what exactly brake jack is?

http://www.konaworld.com/dope.htm

Watch that video, its explains it.

Posted: Feb 6, 2008 at 5:38 Quote
when you apply the brake to many single pivot designs it causes the rear end to stiffen up and not go through its travel on hits. this happens on konas. i have a stinky and it is really bad. you can get a much more active braking system with lots of other companies. any bike with a fsr from specialized including intense will work better. as well as all the vpp bikes and bikes with 2 links that float a solid rear like cove shocker dh or iron horse sunday etc. trust me for dh you want a active rear end as much as possible. giant also make a better design. glory.

Posted: Feb 6, 2008 at 5:40 Quote
slimjim1 wrote:
Konas suspesion design is single pivot - meaning that when compressed it moves both vertically and slightly horizontally (inwards). I think this is what causes the brakejack. Norco has several pivots (its based on FSR) and moves straight up and down, menaing its practiaclly immune from brakejack. I have a mate with floating brake (05) and it seems to work well but sometimes I think the arm part rattles loose etc. I dont think many people like the look of the floating brake, either.

the brake line stiffening doesn't affect the horst link due to the pivot being on the chainstay; where as on a single pivot (faux bar) it's on the seat stay and it basically locks it out under pressure.

that simple.

• Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.012321
Mobile Version of Website