Pike 454 or 426? whats the difference?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Pike 454 or 426? whats the difference?
  • Previous Page
O+
Posted: Jul 7, 2008 at 20:59 Quote
What is the difference between these forks, besides crown and steerer weight?

Posted: Jul 7, 2008 at 21:02 Quote
boberinoe wrote:
ones air ,other is coil,one has 110 to 140 travel,the other has 95 to 140 travel,id say go with the 426

Posted: Jul 7, 2008 at 21:04 Quote
trek2 wrote:
boberinoe wrote:
ones air ,other is coil,one has 110 to 140 travel,the other has 95 to 140 travel,id say go with the 426

wrong. the models have nothing to do with the amount of travel or spring inside.

boberinoe, the only difference is the 0.4 pound saved by going to an aluminum steerer and hollow crown.

Posted: Jul 7, 2008 at 21:04 Quote
The only differences really is the weight and strength of the crown and steer tube. The 454 has an aluminum steer tube and hollow aluminum crown which is lighter by not even half a pound and the 426 has a steel steer tube and solid aluminum crown which is considerably stronger. Either one you'll probably be happy with it, and not trying to be rude, but you could have searched this Razz

O+
Posted: Jul 7, 2008 at 21:06 Quote
pretty much nothing, the only difference as you mentioned is the hollow crown and the aluminum steerer.

i just got my 454 air u-turn a few days ago and it rides so nice i absolutely love it

Posted: Jul 7, 2008 at 21:09 Quote
remember when people all over pinkbike were complaining about the argyles' steerer tubes bending? well that's because they were steel, and in 2008 they made all the argyle steerers aluminum. so just think about that before you think the 426 is better.

Posted: Jul 7, 2008 at 21:12 Quote
yeh i probably should have mentioned my edit in my last post, well im not that insane so im fine with the barely heavier one with the steel steerer, works for me, but hey, i think you'd be happy with either of them

Posted: Jul 7, 2008 at 21:19 Quote
creamsoda89 wrote:
remember when people all over pinkbike were complaining about the argyles' steerer tubes bending? well that's because they were steel, and in 2008 they made all the argyle steerers aluminum. so just think about that before you think the 426 is better.
well a aluminum steerer would snap instead of bending

Posted: Jul 7, 2008 at 21:22 Quote
trek2 wrote:
creamsoda89 wrote:

no duh, but the force that the alu steerer needs to snap is greater than the force required for the steel steerer to bend.

Posted: Jul 7, 2008 at 21:24 Quote
creamsoda89 wrote:
trek2 wrote:
creamsoda89 wrote:

no duh, but the force that the alu steerer needs to snap is greater than the force required for the steel steerer to bend.
oh shit you owned me ,didnt know that ,but by how much?

Posted: Jul 7, 2008 at 21:29 Quote
trek2 wrote:
creamsoda89 wrote:
trek2 wrote:

oh shit you owned me ,didnt know that ,but by how much?

enough that rockshox replaced all the argyle steel steerers with aluminum ones (in 07, only the 409 had an aluminum steerer, now in 08 all of them are aluminum).

let's see what dj/street forks have alu steerers: gold labels, dj1s, 4x wcs, argyles, pretty much most forks over 400 retail.

Posted: Jul 7, 2008 at 21:39 Quote
im thinking about getting the 454 for dj and street, im only 150 pounds on a good day so i don't think it'l be a problem, im also not usually a hack.

O+
Posted: Jul 7, 2008 at 21:59 Quote
ya i did a little searching but i was kinda feeling lazy Razz so then would any one recommend air or coil? i was thinking of going with coil just because i wiehg around 175 but the air would be nice

Posted: Jul 7, 2008 at 22:13 Quote
i had a 454 coil and it was great, just soft. so if you weigh 174 i'd probably recommend the air so you can simply pump it up rather than change the coil.

O+
Posted: Jul 7, 2008 at 22:17 Quote
im around 180 and i had a 454 air u-turn on my dobermann before i sold it, and i rode the shit out of it and it never broke on me, now i have one on my brodie nemisis and i love it so much adjustability and you don't have to mess around with springs to get the ride you want, just grab your shock pump and go ride

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010084
Mobile Version of Website