Deemax vrs 823 with hope pro 2 and regular or db spokes

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Deemax vrs 823 with hope pro 2 and regular or db spokes
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jul 10, 2008 at 11:12 Quote
pretty much says it all its for my 2007 shore. fr and some dh.

Posted: Jul 10, 2008 at 12:10 Quote
ohh yes and what the advantages or disatvantages of db spokes over regular spoker

Posted: Jul 10, 2008 at 12:13 Quote
db spokes are a bit lighter but a bit weaker and a bit more expensive...

Posted: Jul 10, 2008 at 12:34 Quote
go for a 823 in the back and 819 in the front with hope hubs, you wont be disappointed and a hell of alot better then deemax, also get alpine 3 spokes, makes your wheel stupidly stiff

Posted: Jul 11, 2008 at 15:57 Quote
i assume you're wanting to go tubeless with your choice of rims (if not, you better re-think)- in which case go with Deemax - simply because they are Deemax's! and will be lighter than the Ex8..'s with DT Alpines (awesome spokes).

Posted: Jul 11, 2008 at 16:05 Quote
ctd07 wrote:
i assume you're wanting to go tubeless with your choice of rims (if not, you better re-think)- in which case go with Deemax - simply because they are Deemax's! and will be lighter than the Ex8..'s with DT Alpines (awesome spokes).

u sure about that?

Posted: Jul 11, 2008 at 16:07 Quote
pipes10 wrote:
ctd07 wrote:

u sure about that?

NO!!! I'm never sure, just prepared!

Posted: Jul 11, 2008 at 16:10 Quote
ctd07 wrote:
pipes10 wrote:
ctd07 wrote:

u sure about that?

NO!!! I'm never sure, just prepared!

???

Posted: Jul 11, 2008 at 16:17 Quote
pipes10 wrote:
ctd07 wrote:

u sure about that?

Don't listen to him, he's talked rubbish from his first post. An EX823 is the same rim as on the Deemax wheelset.

Deemax refers to the complete build, not just the rim.

Double butted spokes are not weaker than straight gauge spokes.

IMHO go for an EX823 on Pro 2's, though if you can stretch the cash go for DT Swiss Hubs or Kings.

WHY: Deemax hub bearings are notoriously badly sealed and need lots of TLC to keep them running right.

Posted: Jul 11, 2008 at 16:19 Quote
..And I built up 823's on my last bike and they were completely bombproof. Just make sure whomever builds them uses 16mm nipples as 12mm don't work (and remember to adjust the spoke length accordingly).

Posted: Jul 11, 2008 at 16:20 Quote
...To prove myself wrong!

According to mfr's websites:

Mavic DeeMax front 20mm (28 spoke) = 1120g
Mavic Ex823 rim (32spoke min)(657g) + Hope proII front 20mm 32 spoke [to match Ex823](180g) + DTswiss AlpineIII x 32 (209g) = 956g apprx

So I'm wrong!

Go and get the Ex823's and be happy with them!

There - at least I don't have my head up my own arse - I was wrong but amended my error!

Posted: Jul 11, 2008 at 16:20 Quote
I've actually sold a pair of deemax's to build up a set of 823's ( i got yellow ones to) Its the same rim and I'm pretty sure you can build it up lighter that Deemax's with the Hope hubs. And it is definatly worth it to go with the double butted spokes, it really doesnt weaken that much at all.

EDIT: I guess i took to long to write this post, no new information here haha

Posted: Jul 11, 2008 at 16:26 Quote
ctd07 wrote:
...To prove myself wrong!

There - at least I don't have my head up my own arse - I was wrong but amended my error!

Problem is there are so many people here who don't know what they are talking about who hand out advice like poisoned candy.

My comments weren't meant to be too personal at you, I just find it frustrating when bad advice are posted.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010962
Mobile Version of Website