Cutting hydraulic brake lines??

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Cutting hydraulic brake lines??
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jul 13, 2008 at 10:51 Quote
I just got hydraulic brakes for my bike and the cable is too long. I was wondering how to cut them. After i bleed the lines where do i cut the line? Do i cut it here?
photo

or do i cut it by the caliper? Thanks in advance

Posted: Jul 13, 2008 at 12:17 Quote
You can cut them at either end. Make sure you have a new barbed fitting and a new compression olive as the old ones are not reusable. Bleed them after you cut them and reinstall everything as cutting the lines introduces air into the system. Make sure you double check the length needed before cutting as they can't grow back.

O+
Posted: Jul 13, 2008 at 23:54 Quote
colnago wrote:
You can cut them at either end. Make sure you have a new barbed fitting and a new compression olive as the old ones are not reusable. Bleed them after you cut them and reinstall everything as cutting the lines introduces air into the system. Make sure you double check the length needed before cutting as they can't grow back.

wrong.

you cant cut them at either end. you should always cut it at the lever because usually the caliper end has a banjo fitting or some other type of connector.

Posted: Jul 14, 2008 at 0:04 Quote
both of you are wrong noobs
it depends on the brake and the line some brakes have the fittings compressed on and some you can use any end look up in the manual or talk to hayes

Posted: Jul 14, 2008 at 11:48 Quote
Cut it at the lever with a sharp razorblade.

O+
Posted: Jul 14, 2008 at 16:31 Quote
freeride5 wrote:
both of you are wrong noobs
it depends on the brake and the line some brakes have the fittings compressed on and some you can use any end look up in the manual or talk to hayes

no you are wrong... why would you ever cut it at the caliper??
also if you know so much why would you look in the manual or talk to hayes. I know for a fact that this specific brake has a banjo fitting at the caliper end so i told him to cut it at the lever

Posted: Aug 5, 2008 at 7:57 Quote
hey what about hayes HFX 9 HD? i just got them and they come pre-bled which was fine for the back but they didnt have front cable sizes so i just ordered 2 back, i dont want to cut the cable and mess up or something cuz their expensive cables.

O+
Posted: Aug 5, 2008 at 22:25 Quote
stwaven wrote:
hey what about hayes HFX 9 HD? i just got them and they come pre-bled which was fine for the back but they didnt have front cable sizes so i just ordered 2 back, i dont want to cut the cable and mess up or something cuz their expensive cables.

you can just get a new hose-barb. cut it to length insert the new hose-barb and then bleed it again.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011874
Mobile Version of Website