Powered by Outside

HFX Mag brake loses braking power

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
HFX Mag brake loses braking power
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jul 17, 2008 at 16:39 Quote
I bought a set of Hayes HFX mag brakes a couple years ago, and they have been working fine, up until now... My front brake doesn't have any stopping power and I have no idea why. Should I bleed it? I don't see why I should if the line isn't leaking. Should I clean off the rotors? It wasn't around any substance that would have caused it to become contaminated. It was just sitting in my shed. Am I the only one who is constantly pissed off by the HFX mag brakes for malfunctioning in some way? WTF. What should I do? I don't want to buy a new pair so don't tell me to get new brakes. I just want to fix them.

Posted: Jul 17, 2008 at 16:41 Quote
Does it feel the same and not have as much stopping power?
Or does it go closer to the grip..?

Posted: Jul 17, 2008 at 16:48 Quote
well if you haven't bled them for a while there is most likely air in the line which ultimately leads to a decrease in braking power. It could also be a series of things as well; your brake pads could be worn down, the caliper is out of alingment and the pads are contacting the rotor at an angle which significantly reduces stopping power (probably isn't that), grease on the rotor gradually builds up over time this can be solved by cleaning them with ethanol. It seems most likely though your root cause is air in the line so try bleeding your brakes.

Posted: Jul 17, 2008 at 16:50 Quote
kyleandres wrote:
Does it feel the same and not have as much stopping power?
Or does it go closer to the grip..?

It feels the same except for the fact that no matter how hard I pull on the lever there isn't much stopping power

Posted: Jul 17, 2008 at 16:51 Quote
drew678 wrote:
well if you haven't bled them for a while there is most likely air in the line which ultimately leads to a decrease in braking power. It could also be a series of things as well; your brake pads could be worn down, the caliper is out of alingment and the pads are contacting the rotor at an angle which significantly reduces stopping power (probably isn't that), grease on the rotor gradually builds up over time this can be solved by cleaning them with ethanol. It seems most likely though your root cause is air in the line so try bleeding your brakes.

+1 Great answer, think you covered pretty well everything.

Posted: Jul 17, 2008 at 16:55 Quote
Try pulling the lever repeatedly. It should stop at the same moment all the time. If brake needs to be bleed, then you`ll feel air pumping in the hose (too soft at the beginning, getting harder after few grips)

If so, check this tutorial http://pl.youtube.com/watch?v=-HI5S2Y3OIU

Posted: Jul 17, 2008 at 16:57 Quote
drew678 wrote:

Supposedly, the Hayes factory claims that there should be no reason to blead the system unless fluid leaks out or some other problem happens with the brake fluid. I'll check the wear on the pads. Its adjusted correctly and contacting the rim just right. I'll clean the rotor. Maybe that will help. I'll let you guys know if it works. Thanks. And other suggestions are welcome.

Posted: Jul 17, 2008 at 16:58 Quote
DannyOne wrote:
Try pulling the lever repeatedly. It should stop at the same moment all the time. If brake needs to be bleed, then you`ll feel air pumping in the hose (too soft at the beginning, getting harder after few grips)

If so, check this tutorial http://pl.youtube.com/watch?v=-HI5S2Y3OIU

Do you mean the lever pulls back less and less?

Posted: Jul 17, 2008 at 17:08 Quote
I meant that the lever is soft at the beginning, but when you pull it few times, its pumping the air and becoming stiffer. Yes, you may also feel the lever rebound weaker.

If that wont help, you may disassemble brake pads to check if pistons are inserted propely (i had hfx9 and one of those was bent and dot flooded rotor)

Posted: Jul 17, 2008 at 17:24 Quote
Wilson4 wrote:
drew678 wrote:

+1 Great answer, think you covered pretty well everything.

thank you, there seems to be very little appreciation for answers in threads nowadays

Posted: Jul 17, 2008 at 17:33 Quote
your not the only one with HFX brake problems i have 3 broken HFX 9s in my shop i just bought bb7s

Posted: Jul 17, 2008 at 17:36 Quote
duhzonic wrote:
drew678 wrote:

Supposedly, the Hayes factory claims that there should be no reason to blead the system unless fluid leaks out or some other problem happens with the brake fluid. I'll check the wear on the pads. Its adjusted correctly and contacting the rim just right. I'll clean the rotor. Maybe that will help. I'll let you guys know if it works. Thanks. And other suggestions are welcome.

well I don't know if hayes's claims are 100% true, I don't think there is really any brake system that is impervious to the introduction of air into the system other than mechanical brakes. A slightly loose fitting even the smallest of gap's around the fittings can amplify the quantity of air in the system over time especially over the course of a few years and I doubt hayes has managed to create a system that is completely air tight. My old hayes 9's were constantly needing a bleed as they would turn to mush in only a month or two after riding which was as you guessed a result of air in the line. And the stock fittings/hose was just garbage as the cable would pop out from the brake lever assembly itself from time to time, the upgrade to braided hose was certainly worth it. So yeah just give the brakes a good bleed and they should be back up to par in no time.

Posted: Jul 17, 2008 at 17:48 Quote
its hayes new brakes that are not so great

the old mags work much better then the newer mags.

this is what yall need

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/341194/

buy them off me, just listed!!

im using a 9 year old hayes purple mag dh brake on my bike right now (been using this brake for 6 years solid)

photo

Posted: Jul 17, 2008 at 19:08 Quote
onetimetwotime wrote:

this is what yall need

im using a 9 year old hayes purple mag dh brake on my bike right now (been using this brake for 6 years solid)

photo

I like the lever. And its true, the old brakes that I had before they changed the design worked great. The only thing I like about the newer brake design over the old one is that they are much easier to adjust.

Posted: Jul 17, 2008 at 19:25 Quote
duhzonic wrote:
onetimetwotime wrote:

this is what yall need

photo

I like the lever. And its true, the old brakes that I had before they changed the design worked great. The only thing I like about the newer brake design over the old one is that they are much easier to adjust.

hahaha, the good thing about the older mag models is that they rarely even need adjusting

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011245
Mobile Version of Website