What Kind of Cameras Do You Guys Have?

PB Forum :: Biking Photos
What Kind of Cameras Do You Guys Have?
Posted: Nov 21, 2007 at 7:15 Quote
For you canon slr/dslr people out there looking for a good lens that is cheap check out the canon 50mm f1.8. Other wise known as the "Fantastic plastic." Pretty much as sharp as canon L glass for the low price of $120 or less.

Posted: Nov 21, 2007 at 8:15 Quote
gottagobiking wrote:
For you canon slr/dslr people out there looking for a good lens that is cheap check out the canon 50mm f1.8. Other wise known as the "Fantastic plastic." Pretty much as sharp as canon L glass for the low price of $120 or less.

THe canon 50mm F1.8 is sharp; however, it it no where near as sharp as the Canon 50mm F1.2 L set to F1.8.

50mm F1.8 MTF chart
Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/lenses/canon_50_18/mtf50.gif
50mm F1.2 L MTF chart
Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/lenses/canon_50_12/mtf.gif
The 50mm F1.8 retails for about $90 and the 50mm F1.2 L retails for about $2000, these lenses are in totaly different leagues.

Posted: Nov 21, 2007 at 8:26 Quote
gottagobiking wrote:

I stand by my point, never said it was as sharp. But it gets pretty darn close for being thousands of dollars less than some of the L glass lenses.

Posted: Nov 21, 2007 at 8:30 Quote
gottagobiking wrote:
gottagobiking wrote:

I stand by my point, never said it was as sharp. But it gets pretty darn close for being thousands of dollars less than some of the L glass lenses.

that is true; I could never justify spending $2000 on the 50mm F1.2 when the 50mm F1.8 will be more then adequit for most jobs.

Posted: Nov 21, 2007 at 9:19 Quote
but the 50mm f1.8 ii have a habit of simply exploding in your hands. it's a great prime at the $100 price point, but you're giving it way too much credit. it'd be way better if it was metal, and didn't randomly die.

Posted: Nov 21, 2007 at 9:33 Quote
I don't see how I am giving it to much credit. It is a ~$100 dollar lens that is sharp and works like a charm. Maybe if it cost more than that I would expect it come with little extras like metal mounts, but it's not like it absolutely needs them since the lens is ridiculously light.

Posted: Nov 21, 2007 at 9:49 Quote
IT'S ONLY $100!!! What can you really expect from a lens that cheap and that sharp? I had an old photographer that I used to shoot with who used to say lenses were a combination of three things..... Tough, Sharp or cheap, You can only pick two.
If it's tough and cheap, It's not going to be sharp.
If it's cheap and sharp, It's not going to be tough.
If it's sharp and tough, It's not going to be cheap.

I've got both the 50mm f1.8 MKII and the MKI, The build quality on the MKI is noticeably better, But it's twice the price generally. Bottom line is, You can't get a sharper lens for $100, In fact, You probably can't get another lens for $100 period. It is what it is.

Posted: Nov 21, 2007 at 9:52 Quote
johno wrote:
IT'S ONLY $100!!! What can you really expect from a lens that cheap and that sharp? I had an old photographer that I used to shoot with who used to say lenses were a combination of three things..... Tough, Sharp or cheap, You can only pick two.

I've got both the 50mm f1.8 MKII and the MKI, The build quality on the MKI is noticeably better, But it's twice the price generally. Bottom line is, You can't get a sharper lens for $100, In fact, You probably can't get another lens for $100 period. It is what it is.

Well said.

Posted: Nov 21, 2007 at 10:00 Quote
johno wrote:

Funny thing is that I believe Gary Fischer said the same thing.

"A bike consists out of: Strong, Light, Cheap. Trouble is; you can only pick two" NOT an exact quote but not far from it. I saw it in some Bontrager mag.

Posted: Nov 21, 2007 at 10:02 Quote
mikeyboy wrote:
Funny thing is that I believe Gary Fischer said the same thing.

"A bike consists out of: Strong, Light, Cheap. Trouble is; you can only pick two" NOT an exact quote but not far from it. I saw it in some Bontrager mag.
lol I think it's probably applicable in a lot of situations.

Posted: Nov 21, 2007 at 10:16 Quote
i'm not hating on the lens, i think it's the most logical 'first prime' for any canon photog cause the optics are good. it's just the random death / plastic that suck, figured i'd mention that since it happens to everyone (atleast, everyone i know that has owned one).

Posted: Nov 21, 2007 at 16:54 Quote
johno wrote:

You forgot the Pentax A 50mm F1.7; that lens is claimed to be the sharpest lens ever made; I picked mine up at a pawn shop for $15, cant go wrong with that!Big Grin

Posted: Nov 21, 2007 at 18:12 Quote
do they still make the canon 1.4f 50mm usm lens?
i look on there site and it almost looks like there not making them anymore.
for the price you could not beat that lens

Posted: Nov 21, 2007 at 18:31 Quote
brad-maxwell wrote:
do they still make the canon 1.4f 50mm usm lens?
i look on there site and it almost looks like there not making them anymore.
for the price you could not beat that lens

Yep the Canon 50mm F1.4 is still made; list price on Vistek.com is $500 Canadian.

Posted: Nov 21, 2007 at 18:41 Quote
thats not to bad, im thinking about investing on that for some portrait shots and urban shots maybe.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.029202
Mobile Version of Website