What Kind of Cameras Do You Guys Have?

PB Forum :: Biking Photos
What Kind of Cameras Do You Guys Have?
Posted: Nov 21, 2007 at 20:10 Quote
Im using a olympus sp-310 with no zoomBig Grin lol but im saving for a cannon rebel of some sort

Posted: Nov 22, 2007 at 4:04 Quote
dishboy14 wrote:
johno wrote:
IT'S ONLY $100!!! What can you really expect from a lens that cheap and that sharp? I had an old photographer that I used to shoot with who used to say lenses were a combination of three things..... Tough, Sharp or cheap, You can only pick two.
If it's tough and cheap, It's not going to be sharp.
If it's cheap and sharp, It's not going to be tough.
If it's sharp and tough, It's not going to be cheap.

I've got both the 50mm f1.8 MKII and the MKI, The build quality on the MKI is noticeably better, But it's twice the price generally. Bottom line is, You can't get a sharper lens for $100, In fact, You probably can't get another lens for $100 period. It is what it is.

You forgot the Pentax A 50mm F1.7; that lens is claimed to be the sharpest lens ever made; I picked mine up at a pawn shop for $15, cant go wrong with that!Big Grin

nah man, that's the 31mm ltd. the A 50mm/f1.7 is arguably the ideal mf 50 from pentax, while the F50mm/f1.7 is the arguably best af 50.

the 31ltd bitch slaps almost everything ever made; there's a couple of primes that are considered on par/maybe better and they don't come from nikon or canon Smile

Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/lenses/pentax_31_18/mtf.gif

Posted: Nov 22, 2007 at 10:09 Quote
attack11 wrote:
dishboy14 wrote:
johno wrote:
IT'S ONLY $100!!! What can you really expect from a lens that cheap and that sharp? I had an old photographer that I used to shoot with who used to say lenses were a combination of three things..... Tough, Sharp or cheap, You can only pick two.
If it's tough and cheap, It's not going to be sharp.
If it's cheap and sharp, It's not going to be tough.
If it's sharp and tough, It's not going to be cheap.

I've got both the 50mm f1.8 MKII and the MKI, The build quality on the MKI is noticeably better, But it's twice the price generally. Bottom line is, You can't get a sharper lens for $100, In fact, You probably can't get another lens for $100 period. It is what it is.

You forgot the Pentax A 50mm F1.7; that lens is claimed to be the sharpest lens ever made; I picked mine up at a pawn shop for $15, cant go wrong with that!Big Grin

nah man, that's the 31mm ltd. the A 50mm/f1.7 is arguably the ideal mf 50 from pentax, while the F50mm/f1.7 is the arguably best af 50.

the 31ltd bitch slaps almost everything ever made; there's a couple of primes that are considered on par/maybe better and they don't come from nikon or canon Smile

Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/lenses/pentax_31_18/mtf.gif

Good point, to bad you cant compare MTF charts. I would love the 31mm limited, what an amazing lens.

Posted: Nov 23, 2007 at 12:47 Quote
a guy i know started his slr/dslr setup with a k10d and 31 ltd. so jealous hehe. it took him awhile to figure out how to use the lens; dunno if he's really gotten a hang of it yet.

all i know is once i get one, it's never coming off the body Big Grin

Posted: Nov 23, 2007 at 13:02 Quote
attack11 wrote:
a guy i know started his slr/dslr setup with a k10d and 31 ltd. so jealous hehe. it took him awhile to figure out how to use the lens; dunno if he's really gotten a hang of it yet.

all i know is once i get one, it's never coming off the body Big Grin
Meh... with a cropped sensor you're not going to notice much of a difference (Compared to other High quality K-Mount lenses), From what I know of the 31, It's the edge-edge sharpness that is staggering, not the frame-centre (Which is still good, But there are other K-mount lenses with similar centre performance for considerably less money). On a cropped sensor it's just another hunk of expensive glass..... Now put it on a film camera with some slide film and it's a different story.

Posted: Nov 23, 2007 at 13:16 Quote
do you know how to read an mtf chart? it's right above. edge to center sharpness is fantastic wide open and stopped down a little the center performance is perfect while the edge is still amazing.

Posted: Nov 23, 2007 at 13:28 Quote
attack11 wrote:
do you know how to read an mtf chart? it's right above. edge to center sharpness is fantastic wide open and stopped down a little the center performance is perfect while the edge is still amazing.
Did you read my post? I said that the reason that the lens is great, Is because of the edge to edge sharpness. Do you know how a cropped sensor works? Buying an expensive lens, with great edge to edge sharpness, to use on a cropped sensor is like buying a Ferrari when the speed limit is 50kmh. There are less expensive K-mount lenses with similar centre performance. However, On a film camera, You take full advantage of its edge to edge performance, which is why this lens is the price that it is.

Posted: Nov 23, 2007 at 13:37 Quote
anyone interested in buying my digital rebel XT with 75-300mm lens, the standard lens 35-55mm i think, 2 1GB extreme 3 cards, battery pack/grip, 2 batteries, 3 macro lens filters, lowepro camera bag that fits all items, 2 UV filters, battery charger, and a couple other small things cant remember. looking at best offer. reason for selling is need money for school. Live in london Ontario prefer local but will ship. you can buy individual items or all let me know

Posted: Nov 23, 2007 at 13:45 Quote
johno wrote:
attack11 wrote:
Did you read my post? I said that the reason that the lens is great, Is because of the edge to edge sharpness. Do you know how a cropped sensor works? Buying an expensive lens, with great edge to edge sharpness, to use on a cropped sensor is like buying a Ferrari when the speed limit is 50kmh. There are less expensive K-mount lenses with similar centre performance. However, On a film camera, You take full advantage of its edge to edge performance, which is why this lens is the price that it is.

i did. assumptions of center performance vs other kmounts is interesting, but wrong. please, tell me how my gear works. i need tips.

Posted: Nov 23, 2007 at 13:57 Quote
attack11 wrote:
i did. assumptions of center performance vs other kmounts is interesting, but wrong. please, tell me how my gear works. i need tips.

Pretty much any of the six limited primes will give you an almost perfect MTF chart at f4 in the centre. Lets look at the Pentax SMC-FA 77mm f/1.8 Limited for example, While the edge to edge performance isn't as good, The centre performance is similar and the lens costs 1/4 of what the 31 does. I'm not saying that it's not a great lens, Don't mistake that, I'm saying that on a k10d you're not taking full advantage of the lens and in my opinion isn't worth the extra $750 for a slight increase in centre performance. As I said in my first post, On a film camera, With great film, It would be another story. Not to mention the reports of sensor flare on the rear element.....

Posted: Nov 23, 2007 at 14:24 Quote
what's your point exactly? an fa30 would be 1/4 the price if i paid too much and be nearly as fast, but it won't have the bokeh. i've never read of anyone complaining of flares with it; which would be .. so uncommon with the smc coating. i can't even got a proper flare with my cheap da glass pointed at the sun.

people buy the limiteds for the bokeh and center performance.

Posted: Nov 23, 2007 at 14:44 Quote
attack11 wrote:
what's your point exactly? an fa30 would be 1/4 the price if i paid too much and be nearly as fast, but it won't have the bokeh. i've never read of anyone complaining of flares with it; which would be .. so uncommon with the smc coating. i can't even got a proper flare with my cheap da glass pointed at the sun.

People have to have a point on internet forums? I was stating my opinion, which I stand by, You were the one that jumped on it and questioned my comprehension of MTF charts.

It's not "Lens flare" that people have had problem with (On "Legacy" lenses, Which include the 31 LTD). It's rear element flare. Light bounces off of the shiny coating on the sensor and reflects on the rear element, Which doesn't have SMC coating on it because this wasn't a problem with film cameras because the film plane obviously isn't reflective on the emulsion side.

Posted: Nov 27, 2007 at 14:39 Quote
johno wrote:
attack11 wrote:

People have to have a point on internet forums? I was stating my opinion, which I stand by, You were the one that jumped on it and questioned my comprehension of MTF charts.

It's not "Lens flare" that people have had problem with (On "Legacy" lenses, Which include the 31 LTD). It's rear element flare. Light bounces off of the shiny coating on the sensor and reflects on the rear element, Which doesn't have SMC coating on it because this wasn't a problem with film cameras because the film plane obviously isn't reflective on the emulsion side.

uh, yeah sorry i still don't really see your point. nothing fills the void of the 31ltd regardless of comparing it to other ltds or the f/fa/fa* lenses. the reason i want it, is it becomes a pretty normal 50ish lens with exceptional performance. even if you've read about flaring; not one review i've read mentions it, and i think it'd be covered somewhere by someone.

anyways, none of my film glass flares like you expect it to. i actually shoot primarily with film glass, about 99% of the time. no issues.

this is the only flare i've gotten since i started shooting with pentax gear. it is an fa lens, and it was pointed directly at the sun.

photo
https://farm1.static.flickr.com/61/188676845_3a802af4b7.jpg

Posted: Nov 27, 2007 at 16:27 Quote
Nikon D80 and Cannon rebel XTi

Posted: Nov 27, 2007 at 17:05 Quote
attack11 wrote:
johno wrote:
attack11 wrote:

uh, yeah sorry i still don't really see your point. nothing fills the void of the 31ltd regardless of comparing it to other ltds or the f/fa/fa* lenses. the reason i want it, is it becomes a pretty normal 50ish lens with exceptional performance. even if you've read about flaring; not one review i've read mentions it, and i think it'd be covered somewhere by someone.

anyways, none of my film glass flares like you expect it to. i actually shoot primarily with film glass, about 99% of the time. no issues.

this is the only flare i've gotten since i started shooting with pentax gear. it is an fa lens, and it was pointed directly at the sun.

My DA* 16-50 gives some very nice results shooting directly into the bright sun.

photo

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.027685
Mobile Version of Website