Is it better to start up with a cheap bike

PB Forum :: Beginners
Is it better to start up with a cheap bike
  • Next Page
Posted: Aug 2, 2008 at 15:17 Quote
jozim wrote:
I am a mtb coach and I get paid by the city to teach young kids riding bikes on demanding terrain. In the past few years I learned not to tell the kids to buy the cheapest parts they could possibly find but to check for durable AND affordable parts together.

The thing is: those kids want to go riding as often as school lets them. But cheapest parts like Alivio derailleurs or those RST forks all those cheap dirt bikes are equipped with dont last long enough. And then the kids are faced with immense (a fork service or replacement is immense after you spend all your money for a dirt bike) costs.

I think the better way is to buy durable parts and a solid frame which lasts all the cases, crashes a.s.o.
dont get me wrong i completely understand that. but when you see 13 yearolds with demo's and debermans thats when it starts to become stupid.

Posted: Aug 2, 2008 at 15:21 Quote
And more expensive doesn't always mean better either. I.M.O. alot of bikes these days are overpriced pieces of shit. I would put what brands I'm talking about but I dont want to piss anyone off which seems pretty easy to do on this site.

Posted: Aug 2, 2008 at 15:57 Quote
andyjacko123 wrote:
dont get me wrong i completely understand that. but when you see 13 yearolds with demo's and debermans thats when it starts to become stupid.

I totally agree with that. I dont tell the kids to buy Demos or exclusive material. But riding a fork thats worth $100 which doesnt stand a month of riding just causes more costs. Spending about $200 more would keep things going for a while.
And of course I recommend hardtails for beginners.

Posted: Aug 7, 2008 at 13:45 Quote
well my first bike was and still is a gt chucker 1.0
its a good bike to start out on but because the geometry on it is a bit different when you do get good and upgrade it fells weird on a different bike
Confused

Posted: Aug 7, 2008 at 15:27 Quote
having finished well kind of finished my kona Stinky (see profile) it is unbelievable how different it is compared to my old cheap bike. I know my Kona is still considered a beginners bike by some, but if you can't ride a Kona stinky or complain because its not good, then I think you just can't ride and should stick to the roads.
its you guys the ones who can still hit the trails with everything with a cheap bike who have skill, not those who buy a expensive bike and and think they will automatic be able to do anything.

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.013517
Mobile Version of Website