30.0 to 31.6 seatpost shim

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
30.0 to 31.6 seatpost shim
  • Previous Page
Posted: Aug 12, 2008 at 20:27 Quote
Im looking at a new frame that requires a 31.6 seatpost and i have a 30.0 seatpost. Does anyone know where i can get a 1.6mm shim that would work for this?

Posted: Aug 12, 2008 at 20:30 Quote
Cut appart a pop can, wrap it around your post and voila!

photo

Posted: Aug 12, 2008 at 20:36 Quote
lettusdude wrote:

photo

yep...and voila...u just voided the warranty

Posted: Aug 12, 2008 at 20:38 Quote
ok so what other suggestions do you guys have? besides buying a new seatpost

Posted: Aug 12, 2008 at 20:39 Quote
pipes10 wrote:
lettusdude wrote:

photo

I actually doubt it would void the warranty. Even if it did, alot of people, and I mean ALOT have used pop cans as shims. It doesn't cause any damage to the frame or seatpost.

Posted: Aug 12, 2008 at 20:40 Quote
ya, i couldnt see how it would void the warranty since it would just be wraping around the post

Posted: Aug 12, 2008 at 20:41 Quote
pipes10 wrote:
lettusdude wrote:

photo

i lol at your comment

Posted: Aug 12, 2008 at 20:46 Quote
pipes10 wrote:
lettusdude wrote:

photo

But how would the company notice it, if something breaks just remove the can

Posted: Aug 12, 2008 at 20:47 Quote
lettusdude wrote:
pipes10 wrote:
lettusdude wrote:

photo

I actually doubt it would void the warranty. Even if it did, alot of people, and I mean ALOT have used pop cans as shims. It doesn't cause any damage to the frame or seatpost.

you're kidding right??...u don;t see how using a pop can as a shim can void the warranty???...ask any bike manufacturer if it would

Posted: Aug 12, 2008 at 20:48 Quote
ferrayado124 wrote:
pipes10 wrote:
lettusdude wrote:

photo

But how would the company notice it, if something breaks just remove the can

i guess it all depends on the riders ethics/morals now doesn't it

Posted: Aug 12, 2008 at 20:49 Quote
pipes10 wrote:
lettusdude wrote:
pipes10 wrote:

you're kidding right??...u don;t see how using a pop can as a shim can void the warranty???...ask any bike manufacturer if it would

so explain why, because its not like your glueing it to the frame, and you could just remove it if there were any problems

Posted: Aug 12, 2008 at 20:51 Quote
pipes10 wrote:

Instead of asking rhetorical questions and getting all pissy, why not simply explain that which you obviously know.

Posted: Aug 12, 2008 at 20:53 Quote
you take a plastic pop bottle, cut a peice out in the shape of a cone, you then wrap it around your seatpost aroud the top, and twist it in

Posted: Aug 12, 2008 at 20:54 Quote
121691phoenix wrote:
pipes10 wrote:
lettusdude wrote:

so explain why, because its not like your glueing it to the frame, and you could just remove it if there were any problems

you're using a material of unknown thickness that isn;t meant to be used as a shim for a seat post...u have no idea if it's 0.1mm off or not...or maybe even more....being off by even that little can cause a failure...and yes u can just remove it but like i said that all depends on the persons ethics/morals....by all means use a pop can for a shim if u see fit...u WILL void the warranty....i would either find the correct shim or buy a new post....

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013531
Mobile Version of Website