Broken Collar Bone Recovery Time

PB Forum :: Fitness, Training and Health
Broken Collar Bone Recovery Time
Posted: Oct 31, 2023 at 20:23 Quote
mtnranger wrote:
But the plate is quite prominent... A bit scared about carrying a ski touring backpack this winter, but also equally reticent to have another! surgery in the future to pull out plate Frown ... But yeah, plate did it's job, so it is what it is...

One EXTREMELY anecdotal response, but I had one of mine removed so I could wear a backpack easier, still rubs pretty bad. Turns out being in a sport that encourages being skinny and breaking the piss out of your CB just makes things kinda suck sometimes ha! If I could roll back the clock, I'd have just left it in to not go under the knife again. wasn't worth it for me.

O+
Posted: Apr 6, 2024 at 20:26 Quote
Looks like I joined this club back in December when I bar tapped a tree. Not bad odd seeing that I went 30yrs of riding before breaking a bone... can't say the same for a tendon. A whole bunch of shoulda-woulda-coulda thoughts every time I regret think about the crash but injuries are part of the sport.

I've got my last x-rays during the first week of May and hopefully get clearance to resume sporting activities.

I've gone the non-surgery route and been doing physio since week 8. I've got about 85% of mobility back but that last 15% is taking its sweet time. How long did it take you lot to get full range of motion back?

Posted: Apr 6, 2024 at 23:28 Quote
Ya man. Gotta pay to play.

I had 7 screws and a plate but don't feel like I lost any motion as I could use it immediately following surgery. I imagine without surgery you had to keep it still a lot more initially so that must be the difference.

Posted: Apr 7, 2024 at 21:54 Quote
Trinimon wrote:
Looks like I joined this club back in December when I bar tapped a tree. Not bad odd seeing that I went 30yrs of riding before breaking a bone... can't say the same for a tendon. A whole bunch of shoulda-woulda-coulda thoughts every time I regret think about the crash but injuries are part of the sport.

I've got my last x-rays during the first week of May and hopefully get clearance to resume sporting activities.

I've gone the non-surgery route and been doing physio since week 8. I've got about 85% of mobility back but that last 15% is taking its sweet time. How long did it take you lot to get full range of motion back?

I had to go the surgery route, but mine came back pretty quick following the doctors orders. 1 month limited to below shoulder high, the next 2 months full range but no heavy lifting. That was where I had to work a bit because the arm hadn't been used for a while, but it came back quick with regular use. After that I was clear to carefully build back up. But I have also heard of people moving a lot quicker than that too, especially without surgery. I was supposed to take 6 months off the bike, went back after about 4.5 and was fine.

Posted: Apr 7, 2024 at 23:03 Quote
It's so interesting to hear the range of advice doctors dole out. From give'er at 6 weeks to 6 months.

O+
Posted: Apr 10, 2024 at 6:49 Quote
GBangShredder wrote:

I had 7 screws and a plate but don't feel like I lost any motion as I could use it immediately following surgery. I imagine without surgery you had to keep it still a lot more initially so that must be the difference.

Yeah, my Dr said I had a clean, single mid-break and was in a good place to recover without surgery. I inquired about surgery and also the newer procedure where they drive a bolt from a small incision at the end of the shoulder blade. They didn't do the latter procedure, not sure who did in my area. With the regular plate surgery, the part about nerve damage from installing the plate and then removing it later turned me off.

Recovery was brutal. Sleeping sitting upright for 5weeks because I couldn't sleep comfortably on my back. Shoulder muscles all atrophied from lack of movement. Fun times now. I've got about 85% mobility and about 75% of my strength back.

Posted: Apr 10, 2024 at 22:02 Quote
Trinimon wrote:
GBangShredder wrote:

Yeah, my Dr said I had a clean, single mid-break and was in a good place to recover without surgery. I inquired about surgery and also the newer procedure where they drive a bolt from a small incision at the end of the shoulder blade. They didn't do the latter procedure, not sure who did in my area. With the regular plate surgery, the part about nerve damage from installing the plate and then removing it later turned me off.

Recovery was brutal. Sleeping sitting upright for 5weeks because I couldn't sleep comfortably on my back. Shoulder muscles all atrophied from lack of movement. Fun times now. I've got about 85% mobility and about 75% of my strength back.

Yeah, the sleeping arrangements are pretty rough. Interesting that you would have had your plate removed though. Mine is supposed to just stay in. Can confirm a bit of nerve damage, but its not bad and got a lot better with time.

O+
Posted: Apr 22, 2024 at 10:41 Quote
isaacwmtb04 wrote:
Yeah, the sleeping arrangements are pretty rough. Interesting that you would have had your plate removed though. Mine is supposed to just stay in. Can confirm a bit of nerve damage, but its not bad and got a lot better with time.

A few of the folks I spoke to mentioned removing the plates after several months. I thought it would just remain there. Good to know about the minimal nerve damage. Hopefully I don't have to go through that again. I think it was easier when I tore my achilles tendon. Though I wouldn't want that one again either....

Posted: Apr 23, 2024 at 15:37 Quote
I also broke my collarbone around the age of 16-17. The clavicle grew for about 1.5 months. That summer has become the saddest for me. I remember finding a lot of good vitamins at the Canadian Pharmacy Partnership. So I started to be interested in this and take some complexes. The doctors say that my collarbone grew quite quickly and maybe it has something to do with the vitamins

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.009613
Mobile Version of Website