How To..

• Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Oct 23, 2007 at 15:11 Quote
Mod My Jump Bike

I wan't a single speed but i don't have the money how do i remove the 9 speed cogs to replace using spacers and the 13t freewheel off my bmx onto the hub of the mtb to make it single speed.

and do i need to find a euro bmx bottom bracket with cranks to fit a bmx crank because the left hand side of my mountain bike cranks is chewed and falls off after 15 mins of riding and needs retighten it.

thanks for the help in advance.

Posted: Oct 23, 2007 at 15:15 Quote
you cant fit the freewheel off your bmx but u can buy a single speed conversion kit for about £15. to remove the casette you need a special tool and a chain whip(or old chain)

Posted: Oct 23, 2007 at 15:17 Quote
the freewheel looks exactly like the 16 one they provide when you purchase though so.. i think it would work and i have plenty of spacers i can use..

also is there anyway of getting it off without the special tool, its just im strapped for cash atm and i wan't these things done to my bike as atm i am running the chain way too tight because i cannot afford a single speed conversion kit.

Posted: Oct 23, 2007 at 15:21 Quote
A 9 speed cog slips on to the hub body and is held in place with the lock ring. A freewheel is threaded and holds itself on, the only real similarity between their appearances is that they both have teeth.

It is best to use a proper tool. There are other methods to get the lock ring off but definitely not advised. If you screw up using some caveman logic, you can just as easily be out the cost of the hub. It isn't worth it to save the little money it would cost to have it done right.

Posted: Oct 23, 2007 at 15:22 Quote
what are these "tools" called and cost?

Posted: Oct 23, 2007 at 15:25 Quote
im not sure but take a look on chainreactioncycles.co.uk and you will find them on there.

Posted: Oct 23, 2007 at 15:28 Quote
its called a cassette lock ring tool and costs 5-10 quid. or you can use 2 screwdrivers and get someone else to keep the cassette in place with an old chain but as the other guy said it can wreck things a bit.

Posted: Oct 23, 2007 at 15:31 Quote
HaggisOnABike wrote:
or you can use 2 screwdrivers and get someone else to keep the cassette in place with an old chain but as the other guy said it can wreck things a bit.

That was the method I was refraining from mentioning. The little splines on the lock ring get beat to hell pretty fast when you start hitting metal with metal.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.006936
Mobile Version of Website