half link chains? stories, suggestions?

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
half link chains? stories, suggestions?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Aug 18, 2008 at 7:17 Quote
i have the kmc hollow pin chain, i think i stretched it already. if i get a half link will it do me any justice, or will they all stretch and snap at some point?

Posted: Aug 18, 2008 at 7:19 Quote
bloodbrother wrote:
i have the kmc hollow pin chain, i think i stretched it already. if i get a half link will it do me any justice, or will they all stretch and snap at some point?

all chains will snap at some point in there life..but ive got a half link..a gold one lol and it hasnt streched out or anything on me..i love it

Posted: Aug 18, 2008 at 8:19 Quote
giantbikerjordan wrote:
bloodbrother wrote:

all chains will snap at some point in there life..but ive got a half link..a gold one lol and it hasnt streched out or anything on me..i love it
since i got it, i have never seen so many gold chains. i mean its holding up but, ive had to adjust the rear wheel twice cuz of slack in chain! therefore i think its stretchin and on its way out already. any suggestions for a good half link?

Posted: Aug 18, 2008 at 8:23 Quote
stay with that chain dont get a half link they soooo heavy

Posted: Aug 18, 2008 at 8:24 Quote
welll the shadow conspiracy chain is the worst of all chians for stretching its so bad you could almost take a link out to make it as short as it was b 4, as for other chains im not sure, i ordered the KMC half link chain its said to be the same as the shadow one but cheaper ill tell you how that works out. (i needed a new chain cuz my hollow pin was like creeking and making horrible sounds so bad you could feel it when u pedal)

Posted: Aug 18, 2008 at 8:30 Quote
mikedjumpin wrote:
welll the shadow conspiracy chain is the worst of all chians for stretching its so bad you could almost take a link out to make it as short as it was b 4, as for other chains im not sure, i ordered the KMC half link chain its said to be the same as the shadow one but cheaper ill tell you how that works out. (i needed a new chain cuz my hollow pin was like creeking and making horrible sounds so bad you could feel it when u pedal)
yeah please lemme know how the kmc halflink works out. im definitely in the market for a new chain. as for now i'm forced to stick with what i got, though it too is doing funky stuff. creeks and skips, everythings proper and dialed too! just having a chain problem i guess. maybe i got a bad chain, who knows?

Posted: Aug 18, 2008 at 8:31 Quote
bloodbrother wrote:
mikedjumpin wrote:
yeah please lemme know how the kmc halflink works out. im definitely in the market for a new chain. as for now i'm forced to stick with what i got, though it too is doing funky stuff. creeks and skips, everythings proper and dialed too! just having a chain problem i guess. maybe i got a bad chain, who knows?

ya mine will skip some times so it must be the chain cuz i got the 710 sl wut chain do u have

Posted: Aug 18, 2008 at 8:32 Quote
As far as I know, the problems with half link chains are more of a general design issue rather than a brand specific issue.

I had a Shadow chain for a couple months and I was wondering what everyone was talking about with chain stretch. Then within a week it seemed, the chain just started stretching and I had to adjust my wheel a few times then it stopped. It hasn't stretched any more in the past 4 months.

My suggestion, if you can find a way to setup your bike without one then do so. I personally would never buy another half link chain, period.

Posted: Aug 18, 2008 at 8:37 Quote
mikedjumpin wrote:
bloodbrother wrote:
mikedjumpin wrote:

ya mine will skip some times so it must be the chain cuz i got the 710 sl wut chain do u have
im pretty sure i got the exact same chain. its gold with hollow pins. dont know if i have a close photo of it, else i'd show you. but i think its the same chain.

Posted: Aug 18, 2008 at 8:42 Quote
The kmc 710sl is what I have, and it's a good chain, haven't had any problems and it's SL. (Super-lighter, which is what that stands for lol)

Posted: Aug 18, 2008 at 8:42 Quote
photo

theres mine

Posted: Aug 18, 2008 at 8:43 Quote
Yea that's the kmc 710sl, it's ballin'!

Posted: Aug 18, 2008 at 8:43 Quote
ezekiel wrote:
As far as I know, the problems with half link chains are more of a general design issue rather than a brand specific issue.

I had a Shadow chain for a couple months and I was wondering what everyone was talking about with chain stretch. Then within a week it seemed, the chain just started stretching and I had to adjust my wheel a few times then it stopped. It hasn't stretched any more in the past 4 months.

My suggestion, if you can find a way to setup your bike without one then do so. I personally would never buy another half link chain, period.

do you have reasoning why you wouldnt buy snother one? just that no chain tool fits that chain and it will break pretty much every chain tool you try it with including the shadown chain breaker?

Posted: Aug 18, 2008 at 8:44 Quote
patrickrider wrote:
Yea that's the kmc 710sl, it's ballin'!

i hate it

Posted: Aug 18, 2008 at 8:44 Quote
photo

dunno if yer gonna be able to see the chain. same one.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.021139
Mobile Version of Website