PB Forum :: Trail Building
How to build jumps from rock-hard dirt
  • Next Page
Posted: Aug 20, 2008 at 15:08 Quote
ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
i hate wood jumps
fer crashing especially
what u can do tho is find a constuction site nearby and ask them for dirt
if they have any brains at all they would be more than happy to because it costs money to truck it away anways so why no give it to some kid so he can build jumps
follow my advice its the best

Posted: Aug 21, 2008 at 16:30 Quote
rawr wrote:
ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
i hate wood jumps
fer crashing especially
what u can do tho is find a constuction site nearby and ask them for dirt
if they have any brains at all they would be more than happy to because it costs money to truck it away anways so why no give it to some kid so he can build jumps
follow my advice its the best

That's a very good idea. There is a school by my house that is doing some remodeling and they had( what looked to be) hundreds of yard of dirt. I always would think how much I wanted it, but I never thought of it that way! I live like a mile away, so that might work. Good idea.

Posted: Aug 21, 2008 at 16:34 Quote
TheAngryTomato wrote:
DH-rider2384 wrote:
heres a bobcat rental in san fran http://www.carlsrentals.com/bobct.htm i figure they caint be too much differnt than other places

jeez...may as well buy a used one

Seriously! but thanks for the idea. Since i hve no where near that kind of money to spend and I dont think my parents would spend that much either, I was thinkin more for a very low budget... like free. I'm limited basically to a shovel and a hose.

Posted: Aug 21, 2008 at 17:06 Quote
If you soak down the material you want to excavate, you're gonna have to deal with the waters' weight on the end of your shovel and all you'll make is muddy mess. Get a pick axe and have at 'er. Once you have a good start, shovel the broken-up bits away to be used as filler elsewhere. Simple, easy, cheap. I'm sure your dad or one of his buddies can find you a pick-axe.

Posted: Aug 21, 2008 at 17:18 Quote
Notorious-J wrote:
If you soak down the material you want to excavate, you're gonna have to deal with the waters' weight on the end of your shovel and all you'll make is muddy mess. Get a pick axe and have at 'er. Once you have a good start, shovel the broken-up bits away to be used as filler elsewhere. Simple, easy, cheap. I'm sure your dad or one of his buddies can find you a pick-axe.

water weigh's 62.4 lbs per cubic foot ( about 27 litres ) ,.,,lol.,. You're welcome for the random info ..lol
and good point.l

Posted: Aug 21, 2008 at 17:24 Quote
Notorious-J wrote:

Pick axe... didn't think of that for some reason. Yeah my dad has a few. But some times that doesn't even work. The ground is so hard here that my dad said he had to use a jack hammer a few years ago.Eek

Posted: Aug 21, 2008 at 17:44 Quote
There must be a lot of chalk or something in the dirt there....

Well, try doing most of your pre-season work in the spring when the ground is spongy.
Apart from drilling and blasting, I can't help you anymore. Unless you actually want to soak the ground and play in the mud for a bit.... Smile

EDIT: Just noticed you're in Cali. Do you even get a soggy spring?? lol

Posted: Aug 22, 2008 at 14:56 Quote
Not really. Sometimes we do, but last it rained only a couple of timesCry . So, no, not really.

Posted: Aug 23, 2008 at 2:39 Quote
dmadness wrote:
Notorious-J wrote:

water weigh's 62.4 lbs per cubic foot ( about 27 litres ) ,.,,lol.,. You're welcome for the random info ..lol
and good point.l

and did you know every gallon wieghs 8 pnds

Posted: Aug 23, 2008 at 3:15 Quote
Dig a hole and take out "slabs" of dirt from the side. It's very effective.

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011163
Mobile Version of Website