How bad does a Crack have to be in a Troy lee D2 Carbon helmet need to be before it really needs replacing?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
How bad does a Crack have to be in a Troy lee D2 Carbon helmet need to be before it really needs replacing?
Posted: Aug 22, 2008 at 20:12 Quote
Well troy lee still has to make money, and its not at all their fault that your helmet broke so be happy they give any discount at all.

O+
Posted: Aug 26, 2008 at 18:02 Quote
lcstay10 wrote:
derekt wrote:
lcstay10 wrote:

thats what i have and love it.
me to i got one on wednesday they are awesome, but the only drawback is that the visor is weak, i already broke mine Cry
sucks, the only fault with mine is that the visor tends to move up, and dosent super lock in, but maby im doing something wrong
nahh thats just a proble with em, and the visors arent normally weak, i havent broken mine yeat and 90% of the times when i crash its an over the handle bars face first

O+
Posted: Aug 26, 2008 at 18:03 Quote
haze999 wrote:
I took all of your guys advice I ordered a new helmet today just for the heck of it I took a small hammer and hit the crack not very hard and the crack got a heck of allot bigger and the helmet started to feel weak. If I bailed on that things probably wouldnt have turned out so well.
nest time you question the rigidity and saftey of your helmet go to a bike store, and assuming they have either intellegent employees or people trained in helmet inspecting they will tell you whether it is ridable or not, also motox shops usally do a good job of telling you if its unridable or not

Posted: Aug 26, 2008 at 20:54 Quote
nishnash wrote:
haze999 wrote:
I took all of your guys advice I ordered a new helmet today just for the heck of it I took a small hammer and hit the crack not very hard and the crack got a heck of allot bigger and the helmet started to feel weak. If I bailed on that things probably wouldnt have turned out so well.
nest time you question the rigidity and saftey of your helmet go to a bike store, and assuming they have either intellegent employees or people trained in helmet inspecting they will tell you whether it is ridable or not, also motox shops usally do a good job of telling you if its unridable or not

There is absolutely no way to tell just by looking at a helmet if it's okay.

Posted: Aug 27, 2008 at 10:42 Quote
DavidMakalaster wrote:
nishnash wrote:
haze999 wrote:

There is absolutely no way to tell just by looking at a helmet if it's okay.

agreed 1000%. the guy who started this thread about breaking a helmet moaned about a small crash he took and eventually admitted that he augered the big GLC drop. going to a motox shop or bike store to see if someone will tell you that your helmet is still ok is unfair to the employee, becuase really, if its bad enough to need someone elses approval regarding the helmets condition- that is probably the answer in itself- its f*cked. and i can imagine the story you will tell the employee will downsize the seriousness of the crash, in an effort to cheap out and not have to buy another helmet. relative to the crash, the outside of the helmet could still appear reasonably good, but the inner foam, which is designed to compress and take the imapct. could be a mess. so hows he gonna see that? he can't dude, and if you take another crash in that area, you might as well be wearing nothing on your head. in motorcycle racing if you take any kind of get-off, at any speed, you have to replace your helmet. one of the first things a racetrack official looks at in pre-race( streetbike) inspects is the helmet.
and imho, if you are a young gunner who's trying to progress in the sport- don't buy a TLD, buy two remedys, or at most a THE helmet- they are the exact same helmet as the troy lee, just without the cool decals.and old troy's fancy name on the side of it. this sport didn't start as a fashion show.

Posted: Dec 21, 2008 at 11:15 Quote
why dont you get a pro-tec with multiple impact technology?

Posted: Oct 29, 2009 at 21:49 Quote
does a visor crack matter?? i dont really think casue teh visor is there fro shade nto fr protection

O+
Posted: Oct 29, 2009 at 21:51 Quote
SXrider35 wrote:
does a visor crack matter?? i dont really think casue teh visor is there fro shade nto fr protection
way to grave dig there bud....

Posted: Oct 29, 2009 at 21:55 Quote
i beleive this thread was about helmets not visors

Posted: Oct 29, 2009 at 21:58 Quote
Quit flaming the guy. Its close enough to on topic.

No, visor cracks are not an issue. A visor is just to keep sun/crap out of your face, not structural.

Posted: Oct 29, 2009 at 22:01 Quote
thankx for the useful commment unlike that other guy......one more thing...i am looking at a helmet (used off pinkbike) and it is brad new but has a crack in teh visor because off a fall, i am questionning if teh fall was bad enough to crack the visor could it have damaged teh structural integrity off the helmet?? because besides teh visor crack the helmet is very new and hasa only been used liek twice

Posted: Oct 29, 2009 at 22:03 Quote
Ive broken a lot of visors, and my helmet is still in perfect shape. No need to worry as long as the guy is being honest.

Always safer to buy a new helmet though. Never can be too sure about the foam being cracked before you buy it. USE PAYPAL, then if its cracked, and he lied, you file a claim and get your $$ back

Posted: Oct 29, 2009 at 22:05 Quote
alrigth sounds good, teh guy seems nice........sp ye i will use paypal and then onc eit gets here check it out to see if its all good....and one more thing....how much is it ot replace a visor?? i probs wont btu just incase it gets even more broken

Posted: Oct 29, 2009 at 22:07 Quote
Super glue goes a long way on visors Razz Just dont use it while its on the helmet! Can craze plastics, and you dont want that on structural stuff.

Usually visors are pretty cheap. Any bike shop should get you set on it. If not, theres always chainreactioncycles!

Posted: Oct 29, 2009 at 22:12 Quote
ok sweet, thank you for your insightful information, and help! Smile

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013553
Mobile Version of Website