difference between cog, sprocket, and chainring

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
difference between cog, sprocket, and chainring
  • Previous Page
Posted: Aug 22, 2008 at 20:01 Quote
i know this is a stupid question but what is the difference between them??

also what sprocket and cog do you recommend for my norco 125??

O+
Posted: Aug 22, 2008 at 20:12 Quote
SICK-biker wrote:

well cog, sprocket, and cassette are all the back gears (if you are running more than one back gear). cranks and chainrings are the front gears. dont know what ratios you want, depends on what style/how you ride.

Posted: Aug 22, 2008 at 20:18 Quote
photo

this was covered less then an hour ago

Posted: Aug 22, 2008 at 20:40 Quote
SICK-biker wrote:

that was not covered an hour ago!!!

Posted: Aug 22, 2008 at 20:42 Quote
and i searched b4 i made the thread and nothing came up

Posted: Aug 22, 2008 at 20:43 Quote
well start off what size is your front ring take that and divide it by 2 ie: 32/2=16 therefore your rear gear should be 16 that makes it a 2:1 ratio also long as your running 26 inch wheels this should be an ideal gear ratio

Posted: Aug 22, 2008 at 20:45 Quote
kickel wrote:
well start off what size is your front ring take that and divide it by 2 ie: 32/2=16 therefore your rear gear should be 16 that makes it a 2:1 ratio also long as your running 26 inch wheels this should be an ideal gear ratio

ok i know about the 2:1 ratio but what brand is the best for a sprocket/cog and can i keep my fornt chainring if im using a singlespeed chain

Posted: Aug 22, 2008 at 20:47 Quote
ya you can keep your front ring, and for rear cog any will work are you going to get a ss kit or a ss hub, most kits include a rear cog

Posted: Aug 22, 2008 at 20:48 Quote
kickel wrote:
ya you can keep your front ring, and for rear cog any will work are you going to get a ss kit or a ss hub, most kits include a rear cog

im getting a wheel thats got single speed conversion (spacers and cog)

Posted: Aug 22, 2008 at 20:50 Quote
then that should have ya covered. if its already got the convertion and as for a tensioner does your bike have horizontal or vertical drop outs,

Posted: Aug 22, 2008 at 20:51 Quote
kickel wrote:
then that should have ya covered. if its already got the convertion and as for a tensioner does your bike have horizontal or vertical drop outs,

its got horizontal dropouts so i dont need a tensioner

Posted: Aug 22, 2008 at 20:52 Quote
SICK-biker wrote:
kickel wrote:

its got horizontal dropouts so i dont need a tensioner

and also whats a good single speed chain??, can i use a half link chain, would that be best?

Posted: Aug 22, 2008 at 20:54 Quote
ya then you should be good to goas far as gears go and if you end up not liking the gear ie:to hard/to easy, the rear cog can be replaced very easily and cheaply so you can try and find your ideal ratio. but the front ring usialy doesn't need to be changed unless you wanna run bmx cranks, or want to run a micro drive or somthin

Posted: Aug 22, 2008 at 20:55 Quote
kickel wrote:
ya then you should be good to goas far as gears go and if you end up not liking the gear ie:to hard/to easy, the rear cog can be replaced very easily and cheaply so you can try and find your ideal ratio. but the front ring usialy doesn't need to be changed unless you wanna run bmx cranks, or want to run a micro drive or somthin

what about the chain question?

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.009574
Mobile Version of Website