am havoc whellset

• Previous Page
Posted: Oct 24, 2007 at 15:17 Quote
please, am havoc whellset is good ? or mavic sx is the best ?

Posted: Nov 2, 2007 at 10:50 Quote
Don't know what the havoc is but Mavic's are always good rims.

Posted: Nov 2, 2007 at 10:54 Quote
Used a Havoc rear rim for 6 weeks as a loaner wheel from my LBS. It was good, durable and quite solid for all I put it thru! A little heavier than I like but I would give it a thumbs up!
I didn't use it for big drops or jumps, but I'm sure it would hold up!
Hope this helps!

O+
Posted: Nov 2, 2007 at 12:26 Quote
Support your local starving bike mechanic and get a hand built wheel. There is nothing stronger. If not then get the Mavic and invest in their mp3 insurance program. Its good for three years and covers all cost of parts and repair.

Posted: Nov 6, 2007 at 9:49 Quote
radam wrote:
Support your local starving bike mechanic and get a hand built wheel. There is nothing stronger. If not then get the Mavic and invest in their mp3 insurance program. Its good for three years and covers all cost of parts and repair.

I'm a local starving bike mechanic who builds a mean wheel. But I'm still riding havoc wheels. They're so stout for the weight and I have put over 300 miles (very rough, very fast) on them and they haven't budged. The quick releases aren't the best but other than that I love them.

O+
Posted: Nov 6, 2007 at 11:02 Quote
cr8urban wrote:
radam wrote:

I'm a local starving bike mechanic who builds a mean wheel. But I'm still riding havoc wheels. They're so stout for the weight and I have put over 300 miles (very rough, very fast) on them and they haven't budged. The quick releases aren't the best but other than that I love them.

What kind of warranty comes on those Havocs and whom makes them?

O+
Posted: Nov 6, 2007 at 11:04 Quote
radam wrote:
cr8urban wrote:
radam wrote:

What kind of warranty comes on those Havocs and whom makes them?

Never mind I found out that their made by Easton. Still Interested in the type of warranty.

Posted: Nov 6, 2007 at 19:06 Quote
As far as I can tell, it's a DT 5.1 rim and 24 straight-pull spokes. There's nothing revolutionary there and it's not much different than building your own wheel around DT 5.1 rims, fancy spoke strategies (different number F vs R, different spokes on the drive side vs. non-drive, etc.), and nice hubs. It's just that the Easton wheels are an easier choice for a very nice wheel.

Posted: Nov 6, 2007 at 20:32 Quote
r-m-r wrote:
As far as I can tell, it's a DT 5.1 rim and 24 straight-pull spokes. There's nothing revolutionary there and it's not much different than building your own wheel around DT 5.1 rims, fancy spoke strategies (different number F vs R, different spokes on the drive side vs. non-drive, etc.), and nice hubs. It's just that the Easton wheels are an easier choice for a very nice wheel.
don't forget the straight pull tripple butted spokes, and convertible front hub. Honestly I couldn't build a wheel half as good for the price I got them for, but that's because I work at a shop so they are pretty expensive.

Posted: Nov 6, 2007 at 20:41 Quote
cr8urban wrote:
r-m-r wrote:
don't forget the straight pull tripple butted spokes, and convertible front hub. Honestly I couldn't build a wheel half as good for the price I got them for, but that's because I work at a shop so they are pretty expensive.

Making a fair comparison at retail prices, they're not that special. Last I saw, retail was something like $700 or $800 - you can buy some nice bits for that kind of money. They're often on sale for $500 or $600, though, which brings them a lot closer to being something special.

I agree they're a nice wheelset at a good price (for a posh wheel), I'm just saying there's nothing truly extraordinary going on there.

O+
Posted: Nov 6, 2007 at 21:39 Quote
Is it just me or do straight pull spokes seem over rated. They do seem to last a bit longer but the spokes are two to three times more expensive. It just doesn't seem worth it to me.
I did check out the Havocs and they really don't seem that special. I wouldn't call those triple butted and the free hub seems pretty average. I got a pair on demo and will report back after a couple rides.

O+
Posted: Nov 6, 2007 at 21:45 Quote
cr8urban wrote:
radam wrote:

You think that this is a better wheel then you could build up? Are you riding them because you got a good deal on them? I'm not doubting you, just curious.

Posted: Nov 6, 2007 at 22:10 Quote
I was looking at the Havocs a while back, you could get a new set off of eBay for just over $400. The cheapest I have seen lately is through Pricepoint at $500. But for less than $500, you can get a good set of wheels built up around the Hope ProII hubs and rims of your choice from Larry at Mountain High Cyclery.

I ended up spending extra and went for the I9 Enduro wheelset. I haven't got them yet but I have seen several sets first-hand and these wheels are second to none. The machining, quality, engagement and performance are excellent. The main drawback is that they aren't cheap but I have talked to several riders who can buy whatever they want and have had many different wheelset...they all say they will never sway from I9s.

Posted: Nov 6, 2007 at 22:15 Quote
Wait, WHAT? Since when?

No wonder you decided to keep the Coiler - your wife would've killed you if you'd picked up a new bike after that!

Posted: Nov 6, 2007 at 22:35 Quote
I was going with the ProII/5.1 wheelset but after riding in NC and seeing several of the wheelsets, I knew it was worth the extra for the I9s. I changed/upgraded the order when I got back. Maybe I'll have them when you're back here...you'll definitely appreciate them and they are planning on road wheels in the near future!

And I think the Coiler will be replaced next year (with the latest bike we were talking about)...just trying to decide if it should be a frame only swap or a complete bike swap...have to crunch the numbers.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.011083
Mobile Version of Website