Another pointless innovation...

PB Forum :: BMX (20")
Another pointless innovation...
  • Previous Page
Posted: Aug 29, 2008 at 16:17 Quote
Standard's new stem with a built in headset cap.
Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://www.standardbyke.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/img_0853.jpgWhy do we keep on seeing new "innovations" that solve non-existent problems? Honestly, why dont companies focus their efforts on areas that actually need improving....

Posted: Aug 29, 2008 at 16:20 Quote
I read about that today... I don't really see the point in it either. All it really does is add more problems for people that might wanna' flip they're stem or run some spacers.

Like you said,

Another pointless innovation.

Posted: Aug 29, 2008 at 17:00 Quote
Lets be serious the heaviest component on our bikes is the headset cap......

It's cool these companies are thinking but lets not waste time and money on such toys. I've said it before, BMX is becoming more and more of a novelty.

Posted: Aug 29, 2008 at 17:13 Quote
416rider wrote:
I read about that today... I don't really see the point in it either. All it really does is add more problems for people that might wanna' flip they're stem or run some spacers.

Like you said,

Another pointless innovation.

At first I was thinking, well the idea is just as pointless as this thread, unless their charging more because of the built in headset cap, it doesn't really matter. But your post brings out some valid points on it. It's a real pain in the ass to get your steerer tube the perfect size (which make even then be to big or small for the next stem you buy, so the last thing you want to do is always be cutting it), and so many people run like to run spacers anyways (bar height adjustablity very easy). Also, I have seen countless people with their stem flipped just like you pointed out. Anyways, I now see it's not only pointless, but may actually be worse than just a normal stem.

Posted: Aug 29, 2008 at 17:14 Quote
wow. sorry to break the chain of really active members..but yeah that does seem really useless...headset caps are cool and you can get them in awesome colours..i want to keep mine on!

Posted: Aug 29, 2008 at 17:42 Quote
i don't see what your guys problem is, you read it was "gay" on that site and your blindly following its lead.

Think if you need a fork right bad but your buddy cut his steerer too short for your frame, he is selling it for a sick deal so you can't give it up but your current set up won't allow you to use it safely, you can remove your dust cap and just get this stem and everyones happy...

quit the hate

Posted: Aug 29, 2008 at 18:35 Quote
I dont base my opinions based on "that site".
Having to spend around 70 bucks on a stem would surely negate any money you saved on the forks you got from your buddy for a great price. And if you cant run your current setup on the forks your friend is selling to you, then obviously it isnt right for you....

Posted: Aug 29, 2008 at 18:42 Quote
ron-burgundy wrote:
i don't see what your guys problem is, you read it was "gay" on that site and your blindly following its lead.

Think if you need a fork right bad but your buddy cut his steerer too short for your frame, he is selling it for a sick deal so you can't give it up but your current set up won't allow you to use it safely, you can remove your dust cap and just get this stem and everyones happy...

quit the hate

I still think the stem would cause more problems than solve.

Posted: Aug 29, 2008 at 18:48 Quote
i just think you guys need to quit the bitchin and go ride

i dont care if it is raining

and i dont care if you have a headset cap

Posted: Aug 29, 2008 at 19:02 Quote
pimpsmack wrote:

We're not "bitching", we're just voicing our opinions. All products need constructive criticism, it makes them better.

Posted: Aug 29, 2008 at 20:03 Quote
pimpsmack wrote:

since when does arguing your opinion become bitching..

Posted: Aug 29, 2008 at 21:00 Quote
since when did drewfunk becomemod is the real question?
but in all seriousness, bmx has come so far over the years these little things dont seem to faze me anymore. all they are doing is playing around and getting paid for it, if i got paid to think of new ideas and was fresh out of good ones id have no choice but to think of something like this or basickly have no job, im thankfull for new inovations i couldnt imagine riding around a 40 lbs bmx and without new weight saving ideas we would be. this stem maby pointless but who knows it could lead to another idea which could turn out to bethe best thing to ever hapen to the world, end rant/

Posted: Aug 29, 2008 at 22:08 Quote
Alex I dont think I had that mob mentality working at all. I have realized so much lately that the sport's becoming more and more based on novelty's and gimmick's, and who can get the newest and most innovative thing first.

Posted: Aug 29, 2008 at 22:11 Quote
bradyc wrote:
Alex I dont think I had that mob mentality working at all. I have realized so much lately that the sport's becoming more and more based on novelty's and gimmick's, and who can get the newest and most innovative thing first.

Exactly.

BMX is becoming a showcase for companies to one-up eachother.

Posted: Aug 29, 2008 at 22:22 Quote
is that honestly a bad thing tho? i still ride my bike the way i would if it was the worst bmx in the world so why not have better parts? thats like choosing an old weak chain over a strong new one because the new one is inovative and trendy but this is all my 2 cents we all have our own opinion

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.011645
Mobile Version of Website