New Bike, need some opoinions

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
New Bike, need some opoinions
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
O+
Posted: Aug 31, 2008 at 17:28 Quote
Hey all, Ive been riding for a few years on a GT , avalanche, marzocchi bombers, LX throughout except XT rear DER. I love this bike, fast in the single track, Hardtail. Here is my dilemma, Its dated for sure but an amazing bike, since I bought it like 6 years ago, the avalanche franchise seemed to turn into the GT version of a Ford Tempo. I ride the short hills in The niagara region and venture up to Kelso near toronto once in awhile. Im not sure if any of you are familiar..good loops, varying degrees of difficulty.. The Squeezer Off road is done here.. I have been happy with the hardtail to this point and have never ridden my own FS. I have taken the odd ride on a few of my buddies rides..Not bad, I find you get what you paid for. I fear a loss of power in my climbs with the rear suspension. Also, Im willing to go into the 2,000-3,000 range for a solid All mountain. Is GT still worthwhile? Any help is appreciated from those that know..

Posted: Aug 31, 2008 at 17:33 Quote
id get my vp free for 3000 because u can look out the bottom out resistance and it climbs like none other i beat all my friends xc bikes and their in better shape then me and stuff and the floodgate on my totem jsut rules this is the bike for xc, dh, fr and am its amazing!!

Posted: Sep 1, 2008 at 10:02 Quote
Alot of the good XC rear suspension now hav lock outs for GOOD CLIMBING CAPABILITIES. You wouldn't want something too burly though, by the sounds of it 4-5 inches travel all around is enough. Check out the Norco Fluid series maybe, they've ridden well for me in similar style, XC with whatever looks like I can hit.

Posted: Sep 1, 2008 at 10:04 Quote
the rocky mountain slayer series or the element series are great too.

O+
Posted: Sep 1, 2008 at 14:35 Quote
Sweet, that helps, I was looking at the Giant reign series...How does the Sram compare to XT, Im not elite quite yet so lightweight is not my priority, so XTR seems too brittle for me..Im looking for hayes hydraulic unless im still good with V's...I dont wanna make any mistakes with this one..maybe a dumb uestion, but what separates true XC from all mountain.. we hit a lot of single track, uphills are constant as is downhill, sharp and technical..I always call it XC but it seems that most i talk to are suggesting XC is more single track and path? Im just trying to get caught up , thanks in advance

Posted: Sep 1, 2008 at 14:46 Quote
Well, how many inches of travel do you need? When you are going XC and you hit a part of the trail with a little drop,do you pedal down it or do you look to see if maybe you can jump it? If you do the latter, you might want to consider an all mountain bike. Honestly the whole tag all mountain seems a little blurry. Norco has a XC long trail edition of the Fluid series, with a fox dhx 3.0 but runs the Vanilla R on the Norco six series, atleast on the three it seems too, and yet the Six series is deemed all mountain? I guess it means 6 inches of travel, or close to it, and the ability to climb and jump some. Like I said before lockouts make for a firm rear when you need it.

someone who knows please explain

Posted: Sep 5, 2008 at 16:46 Quote
i got my enduro sl comp for 2800.. once u dail in the suspension just ride it.. my xc buddies all ride hardtails n i climb right along them and freak out when they hold me back on the DHs n through the knarly sections.. and i also ride DH parks on the same bike.. super durable and usable..

Posted: Sep 10, 2008 at 1:11 Quote
Get a Stumpy mate, dont worry about power loss you have propedal.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.011360
Mobile Version of Website