Biggest mistake I have ever made

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Biggest mistake I have ever made
  • Previous Page
Posted: Sep 2, 2008 at 14:04 Quote
Hey guys,

I know it's dumb, I didn't measure twice and I cut my steerer tube too short. It's about 3/4" short. Is there anything that I can do? Will this be safe? Can I get a new steerer tube pressed in? Will a headlok work? This is a SID World Cup.... :*****(

Posted: Sep 2, 2008 at 14:07 Quote
as long as the bottom bolt on your stem is bellow the top edge of your steerer, then you will be fine to carry on using the fork with that steerer!

but make sure the sar nut is still tight!!!

Posted: Sep 2, 2008 at 14:15 Quote
thecorporatemachine wrote:
as long as the bottom bolt on your stem is bellow the top edge of your steerer, then you will be fine to carry on using the fork with that steerer!

but make sure the sar nut is still tight!!!

I know, this is so stupid. I've never done it before, and now I do it to my brand new SID!

My top cap bolt won't engage, the start nut is just out of reach. I could try to set it closer to the top.

The top of the steerer tube is JUST past the bottom bolt of the stem. Do they sell lower profile stems? I am using an Easton EA70.

Posted: Sep 2, 2008 at 14:19 Quote
i presume you mean the top of the steerer is bellow the bottom nut?

if so, unless you can get a smaller stem you need a new steerer!

for the star nut, take the stem off, put the nut in the hole a lil, then yank it up a good bit!!

just to check, you dnt have any spacers in do you?

Posted: Sep 2, 2008 at 14:26 Quote
If it really comes down to it, I would also look into a low profile headset... It wont make too much of a difference, but every inch counts Razz

Good Luck BTW.

Posted: Sep 2, 2008 at 14:28 Quote
The lowest profile stem I've seen is the SiC. It has saved a few forks from needing new CSU assemblies (might have your shop call up sram customer service and see what sort of a deal they can work out)

Posted: Sep 2, 2008 at 14:32 Quote
Every mm counts. Length does matter, lol.

Is something like this a safe alternative to scrapping the fork?
http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/16261-205_SETHL7-3-Parts-63-Headsets/Sette-RS-D230-Headlock.htm

Posted: Sep 2, 2008 at 14:36 Quote
dgmorr wrote:
Every mm counts. Length does matter, lol.

Is something like this a safe alternative to scrapping the fork?
http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/16261-205_SETHL7-3-Parts-63-Headsets/Sette-RS-D230-Headlock.htm

First off, the star nut isnt your biggest issue whether you want to believe it or not. You HAVE to get more stem/steerer insertion, having it above just the bottom bolt isnt enough even for XC.

Headlock isnt going to help, you could just get a longer bolt to engage the star nut. Same difference as the headlock, it just doesnt change the clamp surface on the stem.

Sram is good with this sort of thing, have the shop call and see if a new crown/steerer/upper is cost effective. Its not as bad as you think. You definitely dont need to scrap the whole fork. (if you do, Ill pay for you to ship it to me!)

Posted: Sep 2, 2008 at 14:52 Quote
This has to be done through a LBS? Can't find a proper number to call on the SRAM site.

I have a Duke SL sitting around. Any idea if it's possible to use that crown, steerer and stanchions?

Posted: Sep 2, 2008 at 14:54 Quote
dgmorr wrote:
This has to be done through a LBS? Can't find a proper number to call on the SRAM site.

I have a Duke SL sitting around. Any idea if it's possible to use that crown, steerer and stanchions?

I have a number for them, but no matter what, the LBS will have to call them, as they wont ship direct to the customer.

I dont think the duke will work. Different part number=different part.

Posted: Sep 2, 2008 at 15:07 Quote
Damn, stanchions are different measurements.

Gonna give the LBS a visit.

O+
Posted: Sep 2, 2008 at 15:12 Quote
are all youre spacers out?

Posted: Sep 2, 2008 at 15:39 Quote
pickle123 wrote:
are all youre spacers out?

I'm not that dumb Wink
Unfortunately they are all out.

Ugh, the SRAM distributor is closed. Life is over.

Posted: Sep 2, 2008 at 15:46 Quote
have u thought of welding it back together than grind it down so its smoth?

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.033551
Mobile Version of Website