Biggest mistake I have ever made

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Biggest mistake I have ever made
Posted: Sep 2, 2008 at 15:54 Quote
Same thing happend to me 2 years ago.. A local metal shop hapen to have a CNC machine so for 25$ I got a new, smoot, steer tube!

Posted: Sep 2, 2008 at 15:56 Quote
popp wrote:
have u thought of welding it back together than grind it down so its smoth?

I'm pretty sure it's not weldable. 7075 I've heard.

Posted: Sep 2, 2008 at 15:59 Quote
dgmorr wrote:
pickle123 wrote:
are all youre spacers out?

I'm not that dumb Wink
Unfortunately they are all out.

Ugh, the SRAM distributor is closed. Life is over.

Well if you cut the steerer to short, anything is possible lol.

http://www.funnmtb.com/stems/smx.html

Posted: Sep 2, 2008 at 16:17 Quote
i think the cheapest but not by no means the lightest method of repair would be to get the top end of the steerer tube threaded to accept a 1/8threaded top cap to preload ure headset and then run a short steer tube extender... not the prettyest repair but it would work.

Cane creek also do a zero stack headset as well, that may solve the problem.

Posted: Sep 2, 2008 at 16:19 Quote
1) I welded mine a bit more and just put in another star nut and it works ok..

2) you could buy a zero-stack headset

hope any of these help

Posted: Sep 2, 2008 at 16:22 Quote
The stem is what really holds the fork on. The nut should reach but the stem clamp is the main thing that holds it on. I would just put the fork on, tighten the stem and see if it's strong enough, if it's not sorry but i have no idea what to do.

Posted: Sep 2, 2008 at 16:30 Quote
If you've got a machine shop nearby, how about getting the inside of both pieces of ST threaded, and using a smaller piece of tubing with an external thread as a kind of inverse barrel nut?

So short tube steerer tube poking from the frame, piece of the smaller tube screwed into that an inch or so, and a small piece of 1 1/8th diameter tube screwed down hard onto the too shorter steerer?

Posted: Sep 2, 2008 at 17:31 Quote
Are ZS headsets compatible with all frames?

Posted: Sep 2, 2008 at 17:31 Quote
dgmorr wrote:
Are ZS headsets compatible with all frames?

No.

Posted: Sep 2, 2008 at 17:40 Quote
Didn't think so. Ugh, looking for a new fork, guess another SID would be the best idea as to have spares.

Do BMX stems typically have lower stack heights? I'm looking for something with about 30mm.

Posted: Sep 2, 2008 at 17:48 Quote
Try and find out if a machine shop will do what I suggested for you, I can't see any mechanical issues with it as long as the inner tube is sufficient length and the whole thing's torqued down nice and hard?

Posted: Sep 2, 2008 at 17:49 Quote
3lfd3wd wrote:
Try and find out if a machine shop will do what I suggested for you, I can't see any mechanical issues with it as long as the inner tube is sufficient length and the whole thing's torqued down nice and hard?

Thanks, missed that one. I'll be looking around tomorrow.

Posted: Sep 2, 2008 at 17:52 Quote
What you have to do is find a stem with lower stack height...If you read the literature on steering tubes from the manufacture they forbid you from threading them....They will crack aluminum steering tubes cannot take a thread after the tubing has been heat treated... You could order a new steering assembly. And you need at least half of the stem clamping the steering tube otherwise it will deform when you take a few hits. The 6mm head bolt is not designed to take stresses that way.

Posted: Sep 2, 2008 at 20:11 Quote
3lfd3wd wrote:

Wall thickness wont be sufficient for that.

Posted: Sep 2, 2008 at 20:18 Quote
Hummeroid wrote:
3lfd3wd wrote:

Wall thickness wont be sufficient for that.

The Sid WC has a carbon steerer.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.013158
Mobile Version of Website