Biggest mistake I have ever made

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Biggest mistake I have ever made
Posted: Sep 3, 2008 at 5:00 Quote
Oh, I didn't know that it was carbon, nevermind then.

Posted: Sep 3, 2008 at 5:10 Quote
Well, if it's carbon, I see no other way than to press a new one in there. Ya can't weld carbon!

Oh, and speaking of sticking a low profile stem on there... I don't know if you would trust 1 bolt worth of clamping force... That's not much to go on. Although, for XC, you could maybe get away with it. Confused

Posted: Sep 3, 2008 at 5:20 Quote
My friend done this aswel with his rockshox domains but just either get a lower stack height stem or a lower stack height stem or both if needed . He now has to use spacers aswel.

Posted: Sep 3, 2008 at 5:22 Quote
keirGERS wrote:
My friend done this aswel with his rockshox domains but just either get a lower stack height stem or a lower stack height stem or both if needed . He now has to use spacers aswel.

So he should get two stems and use them both at the same time? lol

Posted: Sep 3, 2008 at 5:24 Quote
JokerMachine wrote:
keirGERS wrote:

So he should get two stems and use them both at the same time? lol

Haha. sorry, I meant a lower stack height stem or a lower stack height headset Wink

Posted: Sep 3, 2008 at 5:28 Quote
keirGERS wrote:
Haha. sorry, I meant a lower stack height stem or a lower stack height headset Wink

It's all good! tup

Posted: Sep 3, 2008 at 5:38 Quote
some these suggestions are very bad and extremely dangerous

The sid i am guessing from discriptions is a 2007 28mm diameter stachion wc with a carbon csu, this means you can not re-weld/repress the steerer as it is part of the crown not just a tube bonded

stems must sit fully on a steerer tube other wise it is quite dangerous, for example having a 2 bolt mounted stem such as a truvativ holzefeller if your steerer is only just above the lower bolt this will not sufficiently clamp the steerer causing bars to turn under normal stress loads also puts more stress on the steerer which could cause it to fail

as for welding you should never reweld a steerer tube as for example if it was an aluminium steerer when you heat up the metal to weld the other piece on it will be strong atthat point but parts either side will weaken as alu gets more britlle ie less flexible with age and weathering

a new csu you are looking at a retali price of £358 in the uk but you could replace it with a team csu aluminium £185

Posted: Sep 3, 2008 at 5:42 Quote
It's actually a 2006 SID Race. First thing is calling the shop to price out the new CSU today, if that fails, look for a shorter stem, and if I can't find one, then I'll be looking for a new fork.

Posted: Sep 3, 2008 at 5:52 Quote
Put a funn smx stem on and an integrated headset and you will find that you will also need spacers probably tup never mind spending 2-400 pounds on a new steerer Eek

Posted: Sep 3, 2008 at 6:49 Quote
keirGERS wrote:
Put a funn smx stem on and an integrated headset and you will find that you will also need spacers probably tup never mind spending 2-400 pounds on a new steerer Eek

Know of any shops that ship to Canada that carry Funn.

My frame is probably not compatible with an integrated headset. Does the head tube need to have that flange?

Posted: Sep 3, 2008 at 7:18 Quote
dgmorr wrote:
keirGERS wrote:

Know of any shops that ship to Canada that carry Funn.

My frame is probably not compatible with an integrated headset. Does the head tube need to have that flange?

chainreaction will post to canada but I dont know much about headsets to be honest. You could just find one on chainreaction that has a low stack height.

Posted: Sep 3, 2008 at 7:27 Quote
Why are we looking at a new fork? Did I miss something here? Why not just get new uppers and be done with it? I think that his sucks, but that the proper fix is very simple. Your LBS should be able to order in new uppers and have them installed in short order. They will laugh a bit and tell you "measure twice, cut once", but should be happy to do it and get you riding again. Yes you'll wind up paying for a service that is normally free if the product was purchased through the shop in the first place, but that is the price of online shopping.

Sorry, I see the uppers mentioned now. My reply sat idle on my computer for a good while before I submitted it.

Posted: Sep 3, 2008 at 7:31 Quote
or another option would be if youve stil got warrenty snap the steerer somewhere further down and claim off the warrenty Wink but that would be quite alot of hassle :/

Posted: Sep 3, 2008 at 9:09 Quote
evan547 wrote:
Why are we looking at a new fork? Did I miss something here? Why not just get new uppers and be done with it? I think that his sucks, but that the proper fix is very simple. Your LBS should be able to order in new uppers and have them installed in short order. They will laugh a bit and tell you "measure twice, cut once", but should be happy to do it and get you riding again. Yes you'll wind up paying for a service that is normally free if the product was purchased through the shop in the first place, but that is the price of online shopping.

Sorry, I see the uppers mentioned now. My reply sat idle on my computer for a good while before I submitted it.

Replacement CSU is about $359. Definitely not worth it to me.

Posted: Sep 3, 2008 at 15:40 Quote
get a low profile or slim stack headset. i got one on my turner and it is rediculus.

the bottom cup is about a quarter of an inch thick, and the top just sits on the top of the headtube, so it really doesnt stick out at all. you could probably save almost 3/4" by just getting that.

if you wanna look it is an FSA orbit slim stack or something, but mine is also 1.5 reducer, so idk if they make 1 1/8
definatly worth a try though. looks sleek too.tup

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012250
Mobile Version of Website