Is it worth it to purchase this broken bike?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Is it worth it to purchase this broken bike?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Sep 15, 2008 at 19:57 Quote
Hey I found a KHS DH 50 on craigslist for $400, it needs a new back wheel, he says the fork needs a rebuild, and he says the headset is "loose".
Is it worth it to purchase this? Also would I have to go to the bike shop for these repairs? ___ heres the link http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/bik/840822015.html

Posted: Sep 15, 2008 at 19:59 Quote
thats a tough one... what kind of fork is it? and whats wrong with the back wheel? (untrue or cracked etc.)

Posted: Sep 15, 2008 at 20:06 Quote
ask for pictures of the frame and all the parts, or go see the bike.
then make your decision from their.

Posted: Sep 15, 2008 at 20:08 Quote
no its not worth it you'll get it and want a new bike asap

Posted: Sep 15, 2008 at 20:12 Quote
It wouldn't be worth that much if everything worked.

O+
Posted: Sep 15, 2008 at 20:27 Quote
for 400$ plus the price of repairs you can get a better bike. the KHS was outdated when they designed it and is way behind now. when you buy a bike used you should at least be buying a frame worthy of upgrading and keeping for a few years. I personally would not want to ride that KHS, and chances are all the parts are on their last legs. i wouldn't doubt if you had to replace most of the parts within the first few months. oh and p.s. a loose headset doesn't always mean the headset is broken. my friend ovalized the headset on his KHS... (incase you aren't aware.. this means the frame is a throw away) I don't have a bias against KHS bikes, nor do i rep a specific brand of bike, i ride what i know, what i have riden, and what i trust. I'm not just some 15 year old yuppie hating on KHS(or 15 year old yuppies..) hope you find something else
cheers

O+
Posted: Sep 15, 2008 at 20:31 Quote
oh WOW! i just read the add after i posted before. DO NOT BUY THIS BIKE! it sounds like a hunk of shit. the guy straight up said the parts are kinda shittey.. oh and an 03 jrT isn't worth rebuildings.. 5 years of possible riding on a fork is pushing it.. plus you can buy a newer better fork for a few bucks more then a rebuild.

don't do it

Posted: Sep 15, 2008 at 20:34 Quote
Save your money bro, work for a bit more and you should b able to get something other than that piece of poop. Good luck!

Posted: Sep 15, 2008 at 20:45 Quote
I've got to agree with DM, even if everything worked $400 would be a steep price. It was a pretty crappy bike from the show room floor. With that many basic things wrong, everything on it is probably in the same condition, not something I would recommend wasting money on.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010171
Mobile Version of Website