Calgary Season Capper Trail Day on Moose Mountain!

PB Forum :: Canada - West
Calgary Season Capper Trail Day on Moose Mountain!
Posted: Oct 1, 2008 at 14:57 Quote
silent j is a fan of spesh k and it sounds like it could become a great trail for everyone. i have never ridden it.
limited60 has been dying to reroute the CF since hes fitter then us and we usually give him heavier shit to carry up that bastard hill.
but quinnner isnt mt7's hill climb a bigger climb? i thought it was, but it could be because i usually poop myself looking over the edge of dead dog before i start my rides- which makes for a more difficult hike-a-bike.
something tells me sundays gonna require some designated drivers.

Posted: Oct 1, 2008 at 20:41 Quote
pinkrobe wrote:
Sorry if this has already been asked and answered, but what exactly is the overall plan for the Uphill Trail? It's been flagged, so I would imagine the flaggers are the same people organizing the work on Sunday. I want to work on the trail on the Thanksgiving long weekend [and beyond], but don't want to f*** up work that's done/planned. If it's a secret or something, shoot me a PM... Wink
Ya, what is the plan? I can't help this weekend, but I want to do my share to make this trail happen. I was looking for the start of the flagged trail off of SS tonight, but could not find it. Is it on the west side or east side of MMR? I rode the SS-MMR-ROS loop tonight and got a little dusted on the road. Nothing too serious, but I kept thinking about how great the climbing line will be. Oh, and of course, the trails are in GREAT condition Smile

Posted: Oct 2, 2008 at 11:33 Quote
pinkrobe wrote:
eachin wrote:
a better question from my perspective, is where does special k start?
You go up the road, past the start of RoS. The road turns sort of black [due to the rocks in it], then you'll see a little shack up high on the right. There's a sharp right-hand turn that takes you up the slope about 30m. The trail starts to the right of the shack and down the slope about 5m.

If you crest the hill and start going down toward the parking/gated area, you've gone about 200m too far.

Thanks, I'll try to check it out on Saturday as I'm not sure I want to do the race on toothless. I tried it last week and it's a great trail, but there's one really steep really rocky section that I don't think I can ride. Not this year anyway, and not on my hardtail.

Posted: Oct 3, 2008 at 11:38 Quote
Hey guys, I'm thinking about heading out to Moose on the weekend and try the race on toothless. The thing is im not sure if I have ever ridden it before, as Im just starting to learn the names. Which trail is toothless?

Posted: Oct 3, 2008 at 12:55 Quote
Where is Ings mine parking lot? Is that the area around where the bottom half of Sulpher Springs meets up with Moose Road?

Posted: Oct 3, 2008 at 13:15 Quote
enduro-Al wrote:
Where is Ings mine parking lot? Is that the area around where the bottom half of Sulpher Springs meets up with Moose Road?

Ings mine trailhead is at the bottom of Canyon Creek, near the highway.

Posted: Oct 3, 2008 at 13:17 Quote
Muchomas - the toothless trailhead is at the top of the moose mountain fire road, past the gate at the top, and it drops off to the left (towards canyon creek). It's the trail with the large wooden rolldown about a third of the way down, and has a sizeable natural rock drop on it near the bottom.

Enduro - Ing's mine trailhead is located along canyon creek road. As you are driving along the highway, station flats is to your right. The next turnoff on the RHS is the moose mountain fire road. The next turnoff past that on the RHS is the canyon creek road. Canyon creek road is quite short and leads to a parking lot which is where the Ing's mine trailhead is located.

Posted: Oct 3, 2008 at 13:23 Quote
Hey, I have never been out to ride on moose before, but I do know where the ings mine parking lot is. Where do I go from there? Also, like I said I have never riden there before so would we be able to ride the rest of the mountain around the races and such? Or will it be closed off for the trail buildin/repairs?

Cheers,

Posted: Oct 3, 2008 at 16:38 Quote
x-ker wrote:
Muchomas - the toothless trailhead is at the top of the moose mountain fire road, past the gate at the top, and it drops off to the left (towards canyon creek). It's the trail with the large wooden rolldown about a third of the way down, and has a sizeable natural rock drop on it near the bottom.

Incorrect. That's T-Dub. Someone is providing mis-information up in here as you're the second person I've had to correct.

Toothless trailhead is somewhere in the 5 km mark on the road. There's a set of yellow 35km/h signs. The trail is off the west side of the road through a clearing that you can *just* drive a vehicle into near the northern 35km/h sign.

Map here:
photo

Posted: Oct 3, 2008 at 17:55 Quote
silentj wrote:
x-ker wrote:

Incorrect. That's T-Dub. Someone is providing mis-information up in here as you're the second person I've had to correct.

Toothless trailhead is somewhere in the 5 km mark on the road. There's a set of yellow 35km/h signs. The trail is off the west side of the road through a clearing that you can *just* drive a vehicle into near the northern 35km/h sign.

Map here:
photo

Thanks for clarifying. I have searched forever for a map without any luck. Cheers!

Posted: Oct 5, 2008 at 18:35 Quote
So, how did everything go?

O+
Posted: Oct 6, 2008 at 7:28 Quote
Saturdays race was awesome, had about 35 racers, a whole bunch of volunteers, 10 cubes of pill, over a hundred burgers, and a bunch of prizes. Not bad for a fun toonie Race. The bike portion of the race turned out to be the easy part! Chugging a beer (root beer for the young guys) after finishing 4 minutes of DH intensity turned out to be way harder than people expected. The place to be was definately watching the beer drinking at the bottom.

Sundays trail day seemed to go well, over 40 people, the XC up track had a lot of people there which was good to see, clean up on toothless and Lower jean guy went well, not sure how Race of spades or the uptrack went as I had to leave early..

Posted: Oct 6, 2008 at 11:14 Quote
silentj wrote:
x-ker wrote:

Oops, sorry about that Mucho/J. I just kinda assumed that the race was being run down t-dub (even though I wrote toothless) and gave you directions for that.

FL
Posted: Oct 6, 2008 at 15:59 Quote
Photos from the race now posted: Search Toothless or Bragg Creek is anyone wants thier photo just PM me and I'll send off the full rez edition to you

Posted: Oct 7, 2008 at 7:53 Quote
Does anyone know how much work got done on the Uphill Trail? I'm heading out there this weekend, and wondering what to expect. Also, where does it start? Does it come off the road or off of Sulphur Springs?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.021961
Mobile Version of Website