So what's up with jumping to flat?

PB Forum :: Beginners
So what's up with jumping to flat?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Oct 11, 2008 at 17:19 Quote
I've just been wondering for awhile, why is it bad for your bike to jump to flat? That's pretty much all I do when I'm not on a mountain, stairs, ledges, etc. Nothing major, the highest drop being about 4 ft. Is this a problem? What kind of problems do bikes develop? My derailleur hanger snapped today when I landed a tiny 1.5 foot drop at a local school. This has happened before, but I was going down a curb, earlier this month.

Posted: Oct 11, 2008 at 17:24 Quote
f*cks up your wheels and looks horribel

Posted: Oct 11, 2008 at 17:32 Quote
list of what can go wrong:
pop tires
bend(break) rim(s)
break rear triangle
break headtube
break forks
break handle bars
smash rear derailleur
break a bone or bones(most likely wrist or ankle)
Have Fun...

Posted: Oct 11, 2008 at 17:52 Quote
Drop to flats are one of my favorite things to do. If you're smooth enough you can drop to flat with no problems. Yes, things can go wrong and break, but that doesn't happen if you land like a cat. If you want to drop to flat, go ahead. Don't let anyone tell you it's not cool. If you think it's fun, then it's fun. Just be aware that it is harder on your bike than dropping to a smooth tranny.

Posted: Oct 11, 2008 at 17:55 Quote
lettusdude wrote:
Drop to flats are one of my favorite things to do. If you're smooth enough you can drop to flat with no problems. Yes, things can go wrong and break, but that doesn't happen if you land like a cat. If you want to drop to flat, go ahead. Don't let anyone tell you it's not cool. If you think it's fun, then it's fun. Just be aware that it is harder on your bike than dropping to a smooth tranny.

dont know how that kid's not dead..lol but hes so smooth of a rider(sean burns.
Also he has a mtb cause he broke his derailleur so yea.

Posted: Oct 17, 2008 at 2:23 Quote
lazyscranton92 wrote:
I've just been wondering for awhile, why is it bad for your bike to jump to flat? That's pretty much all I do when I'm not on a mountain, stairs, ledges, etc. Nothing major, the highest drop being about 4 ft. Is this a problem? What kind of problems do bikes develop? My derailleur hanger snapped today when I landed a tiny 1.5 foot drop at a local school. This has happened before, but I was going down a curb, earlier this month.

Switch to trials

then you will be doing 16 foot drop to flats on your rear wheel

Posted: Oct 17, 2008 at 2:29 Quote
Oh yeah, and that scarred thing with Alex Liv

Posted: Oct 17, 2008 at 2:34 Quote
lazyscranton92 wrote:

if you know to land properly its not that bad for you and your bike, i huck stairs almost every day, all you need is to land right and downhill tyres and tubes with 50 PSI so your rims wont be all f*cked and dented

Posted: Oct 17, 2008 at 3:01 Quote
lettusdude wrote:

these guys are cheating. They are clearly made from rubber and have had the fear recognition part of their brain removed! Cool as f#ck though all the same.

Posted: Oct 17, 2008 at 13:41 Quote
lettusdude wrote:

that first guy "sean burns" on the last fall at the beggining did he start bleeding out his eye??

Posted: Oct 30, 2008 at 17:17 Quote
Jojojof wrote:
lettusdude wrote:

that first guy "sean burns" on the last fall at the beggining did he start bleeding out his eye??
no he thought hes eye had popped out lol

Posted: Oct 30, 2008 at 17:25 Quote
this is what could happen if you land to flat.

[YT=http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=10qidUx1WmE&feature=related]

Posted: Oct 30, 2008 at 21:55 Quote
dirtygore wrote:

yea, on a BMX. if he did that on a DH or a freeride bike, things would be diffrent

Posted: Nov 6, 2008 at 8:05 Quote
you get very hurt or your bike does :d

Posted: Nov 6, 2008 at 8:06 Quote
AmirB wrote:
dirtygore wrote:

yea, on a BMX. if he did that on a DH or a freeride bike, things would be diffrent

freerdie bike would make no difference at all.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010781
Mobile Version of Website