STRANGE Noises...

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
STRANGE Noises...
Posted: Oct 17, 2008 at 15:55 Quote
i just had a similair problem. brought my rig into the lbs and had them slop a load of grease on all contact points in the front.end. my lbs even shot grease into the head.set bearings to trouble.shoot the problem.

what fixed it in the end was reducing the rebound in my fork and letting some air out 'cause there was too much pre.load. it silenced pretty quickly after riding on the new settings. i sorta' came to the conclusion that i was running my forks too stiff, if that's even possible...boggled by why a setting would be available if it's gonna' cause some sort of malfunction. anyway, hope i've helped...good luckSalute

Posted: Oct 17, 2008 at 16:03 Quote
i figured it's your fork 'cause if it's your axle, wouldn't it creak rather than make a pinging sound?

Posted: Oct 17, 2008 at 16:06 Quote
well, it kind of does both, it creaks, and "makes that pinging noise"

Posted: Oct 17, 2008 at 16:14 Quote
terrance just got on of us after hours to lube everything and clean all the dirt out

Posted: Oct 17, 2008 at 16:17 Quote
thats all it would be?

Posted: Oct 17, 2008 at 16:24 Quote
and, how sure are you of this??

Posted: Oct 17, 2008 at 16:26 Quote
becuase ive decreaked bikes its always the bb ,dirt in the threads or lack of grease and dirty bolts that need to be greased

Posted: Oct 17, 2008 at 16:30 Quote
did you read the first post.. it has nothing to do with the BB, or bolts...

Posted: Oct 17, 2008 at 16:54 Quote
1- Check for play between the crown and stanchions.

2- Check for plat between steerer and crown

3- You arent going to find anything there because it IS your headset. You think its tight and all, but I am almost willing to bet it actually is the headset. I ended up having to really preload my CC headsets to get rid of that sound, AND make sure to actually use a torque wrench on the stem bolts.

Posted: Oct 17, 2008 at 16:55 Quote
but it is brand new, installed by a shop....

and what is plat?

Posted: Oct 17, 2008 at 16:56 Quote
oh, there is 0 play, and as said, its a BRAND new headset...

Posted: Oct 17, 2008 at 16:57 Quote
krazer wrote:
but it is brand new, installed by a shop....

and what is plat?

It doesnt matter if its brand new or not. I would grab the bars, hold the bike vertical and try to push down on one grip and pull up on the other while holding the bike upright with your legs. This will flex the steerer and make the noise. If it does, add some more preload to that top cap.

What headset is it?

Plat = Play with fat fingers on a crappy keyboard.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012188
Mobile Version of Website