Juicy 3's rubbing against disc?

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Juicy 3's rubbing against disc?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Oct 18, 2008 at 5:52 Quote
okay, so i bought a juicy 3. i installed it and everything looked like it was going well, i followed all the steps in the manual. i went to ride them but the pads were rubbing against the rotors. i followed the step in the manual about getting rid of disc rubbing. but it didn't work, it said to squeeze the lever 5-6 times then use an elastic to hold it. then go and un-tighten the screws holding the caliper to the adapter. well it didn't work.

anybody know how to stop the pads from rubbing against the disc?

Posted: Oct 18, 2008 at 5:58 Quote
Your rotor is probably shuttered. Most avid rotors on the lower end brakes do that.
You'll need a new rotor.

To tell if its shuttering, look at your rotor carefully and if there are line going downward then its shuttered.

O+
Posted: Oct 18, 2008 at 6:03 Quote
Try readjusting them with a business card slipped in between the pad and the rotor on both sides.

Posted: Oct 18, 2008 at 7:37 Quote
it depends how bad its rubbing, you could just push the pistons back with a screwdriver or something, but if its just brushing the disc its fine because thats what its meant to do to some extent

Posted: Oct 18, 2008 at 7:39 Quote
its rubbing pretty badly. if i spin it as hard as i can it usually will stop spinning in like 4-5 seconds, were as before it would spin wayyy longer. it also sounds like theirs one part that's rubbing more then the rest, i took the disc off again to check if it was bent but its perfectly straight.

Posted: Oct 18, 2008 at 7:48 Quote
odin333 wrote:
its rubbing pretty badly. if i spin it as hard as i can it usually will stop spinning in like 4-5 seconds, were as before it would spin wayyy longer. it also sounds like theirs one part that's rubbing more then the rest, i took the disc off again to check if it was bent but its perfectly straight.

do you have the tri align,if you do make sure there are no burrs on any of the washers and a tad of grese will help them slide a little to help alignment.

and the side it rubs the most shove a very thin bit of paper in there to help off set it,im afraid its trial and error.

Posted: Oct 18, 2008 at 7:49 Quote
brucie1 had the right idea but only put the business card between the rotor and pad on the side that it's rubbing...look through the top of the caliper and see where the rotor makes contact with the pad...then slip the business card in, loosen the cps bolts a bit, squeeze the lever a few times, with the lever squeezed tighten the cps bolts in an alternating fashion until u reach the desired torque, then remove the business card and repeat if necessary

u can also carefully push the pistons further apart with a flathead screwdriver

O+
Posted: Oct 18, 2008 at 7:53 Quote
Juicy Threes are the worst of all brakes to set up, trust me I have had to do enough of them. It is trial and error, over and over again. When you finally get it running smooth alternate tightening the bolts a little at a time so as not to move the caliper. Good luck.

Posted: Oct 18, 2008 at 8:48 Quote
pipes10 wrote:
brucie1 had the right idea but only put the business card between the rotor and pad on the side that it's rubbing...look through the top of the caliper and see where the rotor makes contact with the pad...then slip the business card in, loosen the cps bolts a bit, squeeze the lever a few times, with the lever squeezed tighten the cps bolts in an alternating fashion until u reach the desired torque, then remove the business card and repeat if necessary

alright thanks. I'll try the business card trick. just to be sure though, the CPS bolts are the one holding the caliper to the adapter right?

Posted: Oct 18, 2008 at 8:49 Quote
odin333 wrote:
pipes10 wrote:

alright thanks. I'll try the business card trick. just to be sure though, the CPS bolts are the one holding the caliper to the adapter right?

yes.

Posted: Nov 6, 2008 at 13:44 Quote
I just got an '09 Blur LT and love it! The only issue I have is with the juicy 7's. I can;t get the rear disc to stop rubbing. It is a bit out of true just from my own abuse riding but after all the adjust. and a few more rides it still slows my rear wheel down quite a bit. Help?Thanks- Eric

Posted: Nov 6, 2008 at 13:58 Quote
eshea42042 wrote:
I just got an '09 Blur LT and love it! The only issue I have is with the juicy 7's. I can;t get the rear disc to stop rubbing. It is a bit out of true just from my own abuse riding but after all the adjust. and a few more rides it still slows my rear wheel down quite a bit. Help?Thanks- Eric

Try the pad adjustment knob mounted right beside the levers.

Posted: Nov 6, 2008 at 16:03 Quote
Quik5ilver wrote:
eshea42042 wrote:

Try the pad adjustment knob mounted right beside the levers.

that does not move the pads

reset your pistons and recenter the caliper over the rotor

Posted: Nov 7, 2008 at 9:28 Quote
xpanco wrote:
wd40
squirting wd40 all over it will not help it.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009764
Mobile Version of Website