Downhill helmet = motocross helmet?

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
Downhill helmet = motocross helmet?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Oct 20, 2008 at 22:21 Quote
It's obvious that there are some differences between the two, but I'm just getting into downhill mountain biking. I've got a ton of motocross gear that I use while riding my dirtbike (Honda CR250), but I was wondering if it would be a good idea to just use my motocross helmet while riding the mountain bike. It's only about a year old, and is relatively light for a motocross helmet. Whatcha think?

Posted: Oct 20, 2008 at 22:25 Quote
well I think even though its a light one its still gonna get quite heavy after awhile. I'm sure it would be alright for awhile. I was really happy when I got my full face pedal bike helmet.

Posted: Oct 20, 2008 at 22:28 Quote
Use it... you would not be the first to use a moto x helmet for Mtbing

Posted: Oct 20, 2008 at 22:32 Quote
My best friends all ride with moto helmets for DH. Its not an issue at all if you have a decent neck on your shoulders.

Posted: Oct 20, 2008 at 22:39 Quote
i ride with a moto helmet...a 661 flight and i havent ever had a problem with it...if you can deal with it on ur dirt bike ull be fine on a DH bike...i think the only diff is weight and i know i get hot pretty quick in mine...but nothing crazy...just something to get used to i suppose

Posted: Oct 20, 2008 at 22:40 Quote
no reason why you can't. The only major difference between the two is the weight. But thats minor. If you find it's to much weight...get the bike magazine of your choice, lay on your back, place the magazine on your belly button, lift up your head and read. Once you can't hold your head up anymore, lay on your stomach, magazine at arms legnth(ish) and read. taa-daa, problem sloved.

O+
Posted: Oct 20, 2008 at 23:01 Quote
if your used to wearing a motocross helmet on your dome then continue to wear one

Posted: Oct 20, 2008 at 23:05 Quote
get a cheap bell full face

Believe me you will get hot as all hell riding any descent amount of time with a motocross helmet on

a normal fullface can get hot enough sometimes

if your on a budget it is understandable

but bells are good budget helmets

O+
Posted: Oct 20, 2008 at 23:18 Quote
I wear a moto helmet, and i love it. when i fall and hit my head on the ground or a tree, i can't feel a thing. that amy not actually be a good thing... i should get myself checked out... some people like to think wearing a heavy helmet will give you whiplash, but moto guys have always been going bigger and landing harder, so if you're not having any problems with your helmet when riding moto, don't worry during biking. over heating isn't a problem either. with all of the padding on the inside, it fits snug and cumfy, the way it should be

Posted: Oct 21, 2008 at 7:48 Quote
nickf wrote:
I wear a moto helmet, and i love it. when i fall and hit my head on the ground or a tree, i can't feel a thing. that amy not actually be a good thing... i should get myself checked out... some people like to think wearing a heavy helmet will give you whiplash, but moto guys have always been going bigger and landing harder, so if you're not having any problems with your helmet when riding moto, don't worry during biking. over heating isn't a problem either. with all of the padding on the inside, it fits snug and cumfy, the way it should be

+1. Wear your moto helmet. I always wear a moto helmet when doing anything slightly crazy and I also love it, and the protection you get is absolutely superb. We wear helmets to protect ourselves, so you might as well wear one that really does give you a very high level of protection.

Posted: Oct 21, 2008 at 10:20 Quote
I can see where it could get hot, but then again I've been riding around in 100 degree weather in the desert with it on before so it can't be that bad. How much lighter are the downhill helmets compared to the motocross helmets?

Posted: Oct 21, 2008 at 10:24 Quote
AxionJaxon wrote:
I can see where it could get hot, but then again I've been riding around in 100 degree weather in the desert with it on before so it can't be that bad. How much lighter are the downhill helmets compared to the motocross helmets?

But MTB helmets are designed around a different speed compared to MX helmets when it comes to ventilation. The MTB helmet will cool down a lot faster than a MX helmet will at MTB speeds

Posted: Oct 21, 2008 at 10:28 Quote
keep the moto helmet it's stronger and take more beating.

Posted: Oct 21, 2008 at 10:29 Quote
you will be absolutely fine i always use mine

Posted: Oct 21, 2008 at 10:32 Quote
Apparantly MX and DH helmets are not just different in ventilation and weight, but also how they protect your head. DH helmets are designed to crumple and absorb the shock at a lower threshold than MX helmets are, so in the instance of DH the helmet might not protect you well enough if you use one designed for MX, because it is designed to crumple under much higher forces.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.011114
Mobile Version of Website