Cannondale chase, district or....
O+
Posted: Oct 26, 2008 at 20:34 Quote
igz- wrote:
Nope.
than y would mine

my turn.....

That pic of the snapped in two chase was mine. I did it.
What he means by core sample is just that...as I crashed the down tube missed taking a circular piece of my upper right torso by abour 2" or so....I seriously could have died on the spot.

Now, I bought this bike used. I was third owner. I hit repeated 20 foot gaps and 15 foot drops on it all year....cased badly several times.

When it failed, I landed flat on a 15 foot drop with a 25 foot gap.

The problem with aluminum in general...not just the chase, is there is no warning with aluminum. You hear a little ping and next thing you know, your holding a snapped in 1/2 frame....if your lucky enough to get up and walk away....I was. But thats what 12 years of crashing does to you.

not all frames are created equal, a lot of bikes ant properly run some forks...

Posted: Oct 26, 2008 at 20:35 Quote
andrew-mcintosh wrote:
my turn.....

What he means by core sample is just that...as I crashed the down tube missed taking a circular piece of my upper right torso by abour 2" or so....I seriously could have died on the spot.

Now, I bought this bike used. I was third owner. I hit repeated 20 foot gaps and 15 foot drops on it all year....cased badly several times.

The problem with aluminum in general...not just the chase, is there is no warning with aluminum. You hear a little ping and next thing you know, your holding a snapped in 1/2 frame....if your lucky enough to get up and walk away....I was. But thats what 12 years of crashing does to you.

haha i trolled throught the K-town thread for like 20 minutes looking for your frame!

Posted: Oct 26, 2008 at 20:36 Quote
ratherberidin wrote:
igz- wrote:
Nope.
than y would mine
Because the Chase downtube isn't bent over so there's not very much clearance... my friends 36 can't even clear

O+
Posted: Oct 26, 2008 at 20:40 Quote
andrew-mcintosh wrote:
my turn.....

so what is ur thoughts. what would u recomend

O+
Posted: Oct 26, 2008 at 20:46 Quote
okay if not cannondale than WHAT

Posted: Oct 26, 2008 at 20:49 Quote
NS, blkmrkt, GIant STP, dobermann, even .243 if you dont mind a little xtra weight... theres lots.

Posted: Oct 26, 2008 at 20:55 Quote
No idea bro. I've never ridden red dear nor do i know you.

The chase is a light weight street frame. Thats not to say it's not a string bike...i've seen aaron ride many times in person...he's dialed and smooth.
My chase went through the works..I beat the hell out of it...i'd throw it at trees when it was sucking and i'd shred it harder then anyone else on the hill when it was dialed.

Aluminum parts that undergo high stress should be replaced every few years...I run alu. bars and change them every year, broken or not.

First decide how and what you ride. Pick a material that suits your style, and then make a list of options that offer what your looking for.

If you do this and you still want the chase, get it....it's a great bike.

Posted: Oct 26, 2008 at 21:04 Quote
got a 07 chase III my self, love the bike to death and have ridden it into the ground and has run perfectly the whole time, also if your frame brakes cannondale has good customer service and a frame exchange policy. I would recomend getting small or medium if your going to be doing dj

FL
Posted: Oct 27, 2008 at 10:21 Quote
hey
if your doing 15ft drops on a hardtail no wonder it broke!!!!!only got yourself to blame for that one!! hardtails are for smooth riding.i worked in a bike shop for about a year an saw all sorts of bikes come back broken,stays,head tubes,steel an alloy!all manufactureres even brands well known for strenght! if your riding street then i'd recomend steel,if your doing drops then i'd definatly recomend full suss. if your forks dont clear your down tube then you need a "riser" head set,the bottom cup is about 1/2 inch deep,most chase bikes come with these as standard(check mine in my profile pics) if you wanna save some $doller then last years models is the best way to go!!!!!!!!!!like i already said i saved £350 on my chase an the ONLY difference was the color. hope i helped the peeps who's forks are hittin thier frames
jon

FL
Posted: Oct 27, 2008 at 10:30 Quote
cruelty-and-the-beast wrote:
there are stronger frames out there, thats just from what ive seen... and ive seen a lot of them broken like that...for hardtails i would almost always go for a steel frame set... unless its for 4x then alu. but thats the only application id use aluminium for in a hardtail...
i love my chase but, i'd agree with ya.of your gonna be riding a lot of street then go for steel full heat treated 4130

Posted: Oct 27, 2008 at 11:01 Quote
cruelty-and-the-beast wrote:
ive seen those frames shear off and tear in two like 3 inches below the head tube on the top tube and the down tube...ejecting the rider and taking a core-sample at the same time...they don't call them "crack'n'fail" for no reason...

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I think this could be said without bashing a brand so harshly. I understand you feel the need to warn the prospective rider of the bike, but we should keep in mind people have different experiences. I have been thrashing my Chase for a couple of years now with no problems. Can't say the same for my specialized, 'cause the chainstay broke in less than a year. Still, I wouldn't say specialized builds a bad bike, I happened to do it just right.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.016570
Mobile Version of Website