Official North Shore thread

PB Forum :: Canada - West
Official North Shore thread
O+
Posted: May 30, 2018 at 20:04 Quote
People seem to sleep in there vans all winter on my street lol

O+
Posted: May 30, 2018 at 21:32 Quote
If you can swing backcountry and store your bike securely in your car you can camp on Cypress and Seymour for free, but it requires you hiking in past a certain point. For Seymour, it has to be beyond Brockton point, which is about 2.5 kms and 40 minutes maybe. NO BIKES in that zone, just to be fully clear.

O+
Posted: May 31, 2018 at 4:11 Quote
Tnerb888 wrote:
What street is that? Just kidding. thanks for the info. we will trying to stay in the van and are happy to camp somewhere like a street or parking lot but also happy to drive a bit to old logging roads or parks for a bit less happening.

O+
Posted: May 31, 2018 at 8:22 Quote
Ok, weird question but maybe this is a good place fort it. I am moving to Vancouver (likely Burnaby) in 45 days with my wife and my bikes. Have a job and a place lined up and can't wait to ride! Part of the process is buying a new(used) car. I need a car for driving to work some days, driving to the trails, and going on road-trips to Pemberton, Squamish, Vedder, Sunshine Coast, etc. I plan to sleep in the car during road trips with my bike either inside with me or locked with $200 worth of kryptonite locks to the bike rack. Right now on my list are the following cars: Tacoma 4X4 - MPG makes this very unlikely, Subaru outback - will I break it on logging roads and will it suck to sleep in? I'm also looking at the Honda passport and Toyota highlander but both seem like less good options other than having more room to sleep inside while getting nearly as poor MPG as the tacoma but nowhere near as capable off road. Any advice? I need awd and it needs to be under 25k USD.

Thanks!

O+
Posted: May 31, 2018 at 9:56 Quote
jlizard wrote:
Ok, weird question but maybe this is a good place fort it. I am moving to Vancouver (likely Burnaby) in 45 days with my wife and my bikes. Have a job and a place lined up and can't wait to ride! Part of the process is buying a new(used) car. I need a car for driving to work some days, driving to the trails, and going on road-trips to Pemberton, Squamish, Vedder, Sunshine Coast, etc. I plan to sleep in the car during road trips with my bike either inside with me or locked with $200 worth of kryptonite locks to the bike rack. Right now on my list are the following cars: Tacoma 4X4 - MPG makes this very unlikely, Subaru outback - will I break it on logging roads and will it suck to sleep in? I'm also looking at the Honda passport and Toyota highlander but both seem like less good options other than having more room to sleep inside while getting nearly as poor MPG as the tacoma but nowhere near as capable off road. Any advice? I need awd and it needs to be under 25k USD.

Thanks!

If you want to bro down on the shore you need a Tacoma.

O+
Posted: May 31, 2018 at 13:28 Quote
jlizard wrote:

Thanks!

Might not be cool, but I think you're looking for a van. The trails in the sea to sky corridor are accessible by car, no 4x4 needed.

O+
Posted: May 31, 2018 at 15:38 Quote
Yea, I want to also do backcountry camping and backpacking with the wife, so it's not just about the bike trails or restricted to the sea to sky cooridor. I would love to get a transit connect if it won't hold me back.

O+
Posted: May 31, 2018 at 15:44 Quote
jlizard wrote:
Yea, I want to also do backcountry camping and backpacking with the wife, so it's not just about the bike trails or restricted to the sea to sky cooridor. I would love to get a transit connect if it won't hold me back.

You can drive pretty much all the logging roads, with a few exceptions, to access the back country with a two wheel drive van. A transit Connect would be rad.

Posted: May 31, 2018 at 16:54 Quote
Nicksand5 wrote:
Tnerb888 wrote:
What street is that? Just kidding. thanks for the info. we will trying to stay in the van and are happy to camp somewhere like a street or parking lot but also happy to drive a bit to old logging roads or parks for a bit less happening.

I just looked around real quick and did the same search you probably did https://www.google.ca/search?q=north+vancouver+campgrounds&npsic=0&rflfq=1&rlha=0&rllag=49542147,-123024561,40645&tbm=lcl&ved=0ahUKEwjNvNO3krHbAhU_HTQIHQSeBQ4QtgMIKQ&tbs=lrf:!2m1!1e2!2m1!1e3!3sIAE,lf:1,lf_ui:1&rldoc=1#rldoc=1&rlfi=hd:;si:;mv:!1m3!1d422833.6986889306!2d-122.79247536835936!3d49.34481406700234!3m2!1i946!2i488!4f13.1;tbs:lrf:!2m1!1e2!2m1!1e3!3sIAE,lf:1,lf_ui:1

The closest is Porteau Cove which isn't even listed.

You could try the odd BC Parks campground but there's no guarantee you won't have a PFO wake you up and politely tell you to move at night. Sorry to be bearer of bad news

Posted: May 31, 2018 at 16:55 Quote
whitebirdfeathers wrote:
jlizard wrote:

You can drive pretty much all the logging roads, with a few exceptions, to access the back country with a two wheel drive van. A transit Connect would be rad.

It's only in winter that a truck with chains would be nice for snow clearance. Otherwise a Suby or anything with AWD driven not like a maniac would be fine

O+
Posted: May 31, 2018 at 19:24 Quote
whitebirdfeathers wrote:

Could I take a winter ski trip to whistler (with no off-roading) in a front wheel drive transit connect with winter tires? Sorry for the n00b question.

Thanks!!

Posted: May 31, 2018 at 20:53 Quote
You will have to have mud and snow (M & S) tires to go up to Whistler in the winter. Provincial law.

O+
Posted: Jun 1, 2018 at 21:50 Quote
jlizard wrote:
whitebirdfeathers wrote:

Could I take a winter ski trip to whistler (with no off-roading) in a front wheel drive transit connect with winter tires? Sorry for the n00b question.

Thanks!!

Yes

Posted: Jun 9, 2018 at 6:37 Quote
How would the conditions be at fromme today?

since it just rained last night

Posted: Jun 9, 2018 at 8:25 Quote
PSY wrote:
How would the conditions be at fromme today?

since it just rained last night

Hiked around yesterday in rain to take out blowdown. 15mm lower trails. 30mm upper trails.

Trails made for wet and worked on by builders are shedding water fine.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.026972
Mobile Version of Website