How to manual?

PB Forum :: BMX (20")
How to manual?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Nov 13, 2008 at 16:37 Quote
Hey everyone,
So I havent been biking all that long. Been doing street riding not that often for a few years and just started riding park BMX about a month ago and am loving it. One thing I could never get is manual. I can do 360's, flatland tailwhips, learning tailwhips and a bunch of other things but I've always struggled with this one. I can usually get around 20 feet on average but I want to get it really consistant and effortlessly get it going. Does anyone have any tips? One problem I'm having is while I'm manualing I start drifting to one side until I have to jump off. Could anyone help me out and give a few pionters?
Thanks
-Steve

Posted: Nov 13, 2008 at 16:40 Quote
manuals are definatly a hard trick to learn. I use my knees to balance myself. You have to know your bikes balance point well. You basically have to keep practicing and eventually you will improve. I thought I would never learn how to manual but then after practicing for a while I was doing pretty good

Posted: Nov 13, 2008 at 16:41 Quote
It's been said before, and I'll say it again.

Practice.

There's not much else to it. You just have to practice at them. The only other advice I can give is use your hips to balance yourself out of you start drifting to the side. I also like to sort of twist my bike with my arms and legs to straiten myself out, but that's just me. Other than that, it's all about practicing until you get farther and farther each time.

Mod
Posted: Nov 13, 2008 at 16:46 Quote
A few pointers that help me learn to manual:

I found it easier to get my distances further and further by practicing in a empty parking lot. I get the front off the ground at the same place every time and judge my distance by how many stalls I could get through (in width). I think that because I could see where I made it to last time and the next line I was try to get to I had a bit of extra motivation.

The only time I start to get sideways is when I'm struggling to keep the front up and using too much body english.I think that may be happening because not enough of your weight is leaning back, forcing you to pump with your knees to stay up and making it sketchy.

I constantly had to remind myself to pull backwards! Sounds dumb but a lot of riders I watch concentrate so hard on pulling up which doesn't do a whole lot for you.

Good luck!

Posted: Nov 13, 2008 at 16:48 Quote
best practice is manual everywhere you go. down the road down the side walk.

Posted: Nov 13, 2008 at 16:57 Quote
whenever i try to manual i lean too far back and since my brakes dont work i just fall on my back. not funThumbs Down

Posted: Nov 13, 2008 at 17:02 Quote
i have a break but for manuals i never use it ... just practice ull get them soon if you keep doing it

Posted: Nov 13, 2008 at 17:08 Quote
You just have to lean back completely over your tire, Then bend your knees then straighten them and keep repaeting very fast, It will kind of look like your humping your bike but oh well...

Posted: Nov 13, 2008 at 17:15 Quote
hi-liter wrote:
You just have to lean back completely over your tire, Then bend your knees then straighten them and keep repaeting very fast, It will kind of look like your humping your bike but oh well...

no, you do not need to bend, then straighten your legs repeatedly very fast. you only bend or straighten your legs to stay on the balance point.

Posted: Nov 13, 2008 at 17:15 Quote
over exagureated but it works

also if you can find a place were theres a some room than a curb drop try there untill you can make it to the crub, then start farther back

Posted: Nov 13, 2008 at 18:12 Quote
try to look straight ahead when you manual. sometimes i find it when i just stare ahead i just lock in kind of. but its scary when you loop out cause you may not expect it

Posted: Nov 13, 2008 at 18:21 Quote
what you do man is you do a wheely, lift up then stop pedaling and balance. works everytime man

Posted: Nov 13, 2008 at 19:40 Quote
bikingsince2boyys wrote:
what you do man is you do a wheely, lift up then stop pedaling and balance. works everytime man
no... just pull up

Posted: Nov 16, 2008 at 14:55 Quote
Alright thanks guys. I thought there might have been a secret trick or something I've been doing wrong, but it looks like I'll just keep working on it!

Posted: Nov 16, 2008 at 16:31 Quote
It's harder on BMX's.. I went from MTB to BMX and you almost have to re learn how to manual. It's especially harder when you don't have any brakes. But with practice I got them down pretty good

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.011927
Mobile Version of Website