Adjustable Travel Rear Shocks - not popular?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Adjustable Travel Rear Shocks - not popular?
  • Previous Page
O+
Posted: Nov 16, 2008 at 15:12 Quote
Hey, everyone. I've got a question. I know that Fox made a TALAS rear shock, but it was discontinued.

Why aren't companies making adjustable-travel rear shocks?

It seems like all of these travel-adjust forks are so great, because you can clamp it down, and climb that big hill, and then let it all out for that crazy downhill. Now, I do understand that lowering the rear causes it to be slacker, which might not be desired.
To be honest, I think it's because every company now is so concerned with using the linkage to make everything just right, and they're all scared of platform damping for whatever reason. I think that an adjustable shock would mess with the optimal handling spot in the rear, but then again, so does adjusting a fork from 140 to 110 (no, I'm not obsessed with Pikes . . . *sob*).

Any-Juan?

Posted: Nov 16, 2008 at 15:16 Quote
I think it had something to do with the badness of adjustable rear travel bikes... Too many geometry differences or something...

Posted: Nov 16, 2008 at 15:19 Quote
some one makes one....it just changes the geo of the frame too much

Posted: Nov 16, 2008 at 15:23 Quote
i had a tstr rear shock and it was a good shock but it was compromised,and think thats the problem theres a compromise.

i would rather see dual rate springs.

Posted: Nov 16, 2008 at 15:24 Quote
i agree with these guys, the geometry being adjusted along with the rear travel would screw with people.

O+
Posted: Nov 16, 2008 at 15:33 Quote
dillonchamberlain wrote:
i agree with these guys, the geometry being adjusted along with the rear travel would screw with people.

Really? Bionicon makes a company out of adjustable geometry.

I would think that people would like having a slightly tighter/firmer bike with less travel sometimes, and then get to the top and unleash the fury of several more cm's of travel.

Posted: Nov 16, 2008 at 15:38 Quote
Hombre3000 wrote:
dillonchamberlain wrote:

I would think that people would like having a slightly tighter/firmer bike with less travel sometimes, and then get to the top and unleash the fury of several more cm's of travel.

ah forgot about the bionicon but thats a very busy bike with lots to go wrong.

Posted: Nov 16, 2008 at 15:40 Quote
I'd rather just have a floodgate adjust if I had to climb, like whats on my Pike. adjustable shock would screw the geo too much for my liking, probably break something in the shock as well eventually.

O+
Posted: Nov 16, 2008 at 15:41 Quote
marquis wrote:
Hombre3000 wrote:
dillonchamberlain wrote:

True, but I'm just using it as a conceptual example. Fox made the adjustable shock. That would be far more reliable. I'm sure they could make it again.

Let's be honest. Winding down a fork changes it about as much as it would with the rear.

Posted: Nov 16, 2008 at 15:42 Quote
If I find the article regarding the adjustable rear shock market, I'll post it up Smile

Mod
Posted: Nov 16, 2008 at 15:45 Quote
Hmmm, lockout? On a fork, I could understand this as locking it out would help you climb but on a rear shock, who really climbs while in the saddle? Therefore, you don't really have a lot of weight on the rear-end as your weight is shifted forward to get maximum horsepower to the rear wheel. I don't see a locked out rear shock as a benefit and like said before, it would mess with the geometry way too much. That Bionicon alters the front and rear-end when you increase or decrease travel on one end I believe.

Posted: Nov 16, 2008 at 15:46 Quote
I don't see the point in adjustable travel.

If you lower an 8" travel bike down to say... 5" to ride up hills... or for lighter terrain... it's going to be heavy and sluggish compared to a bike that started with 5" of travel.

Posted: Nov 16, 2008 at 15:47 Quote
Hombre3000 wrote:
marquis wrote:
Hombre3000 wrote:

True, but I'm just using it as a conceptual example. Fox made the adjustable shock. That would be far more reliable. I'm sure they could make it again.

Let's be honest. Winding down a fork changes it about as much as it would with the rear.

i think rear shock wise that is only going to be possible in air though,i suppose you could somehow with coil but it would be tricky.

my psylo had adjustable travel but i never used it,just left it alone same as the lockout on my current fork i never use it,for some i can see the advantage though but maybe fox didnt sell enough units to warrant the idea further.

Posted: Nov 16, 2008 at 15:48 Quote
Bionicon builds bikes with adjustable forks and rear shox. http://www.bionicon.com/standard.xml?vpID=431&SID=1226880498_872f0000000089bb03c6 Here is one model.

My bad...Took awial to post

O+
Posted: Nov 16, 2008 at 15:49 Quote
Lambert45 wrote:
Bionicon builds bikes with adjustable forks and rear shox. http://www.bionicon.com/standard.xml?vpID=431&SID=1226880498_872f0000000089bb03c6 Here is one model.

It's been covered.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012558
Mobile Version of Website