Switzerland

PB Forum :: Europe
Switzerland
Posted: Jul 29, 2011 at 6:54 Quote
Which is better for DH, Davos or Flims? Planning a 3 day camping trip (to get away from the wife) and cant decide between these two. Which ever I do this year I will do the opposite next year. So far I am thinking Flims. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Posted: Jul 29, 2011 at 13:59 Quote
Assuming you mean dh in a park: for now it's definitely Flims/Laax. The Trail in Flims is a lot of fun and versatile and you can switch to Laax quickly. There's only one cool dh track in davos (gotschna) and some of the lifts won't even take you up with a dh bike - although it's worth it on a freeride bike like you can see in our latest movie from rinerhorn:
Views: 291    Faves: 0    Comments: 3

Posted: Jul 29, 2011 at 15:48 Quote
You've got the Runca trail in Flims - the top half is great DH singletrack, the bottom half is shore-y with ladders and stuff. There's the Never End in Laax (vid), which is just epic. And if you get bored the DH track in Chur is a 15 minute drive away.
Views: 1,261    Faves: 12    Comments: 10

Posted: Jul 31, 2011 at 11:51 Quote
Flims it is. With DH I meant that I don't want to pedal much. I know Davos has some great enduro trails as well as Flims but right now at the moment I only have my gambler which is not so enduro friendly. Looking forward to this trip. For now its on to Bellwald next weekend. Sweet videos by the way.

Posted: Sep 28, 2011 at 15:49 Quote
Just got back from three weeks in Switzerland - two weeks in Graubunden and one week in Wallis - actually Zermatt. We wanted to ride Aletsch area too but there wasn't the time. Also got snowed out at Livigno so that was why we made the big journey to zermatt from Livigno.

So now I know how to pronounce and say Chuchichäschtli i figured i would post here and give props. The hikers and bikers and people of Switzerland must be the nicest crowd - so nice to tourists. Even the old wanderwaggers would get out of the way and give you a "schnell" " schnell" as we rode by and wave us on. Maybe we got lucky but there was barely crowds, the sun shone on us 21 days out of 24 and we had an amazing time.

This trip was for an article about how three Canadian tourist enjoyed Swiss riding and will be for PB - but will take some time to write as there was so much stories and pictures.

Much thx to Tourism Switzerland and the following places/resorts which helped us out

- Flims/Laax
- Lenzerheide
- Davos-Klosters
- St-Moritz, Engadin
- Zermatt

Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/293997_10150299928526626_712016625_8410798_1306393113_n.jpg
Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/294206_10150299928406626_712016625_8410796_513975186_n.jpg

Posted: Sep 29, 2011 at 2:48 Quote
glad to hear that!!!!
switzerland has changed somewhat in that direction in the last years. me and my girlfriend were in zermatt and engadin as well in september and were pretty much astonished by the reactions of the wanderwaggers as you call them. cheering and waving. no more waving sticks around ;-)
some regions like wallis and graubünden have figured it out. good for them and good for us

can't wait to read your article!

Posted: Sep 30, 2011 at 12:59 Quote
Views: 3,952    Faves: 0    Comments: 22
Tu connais st-luc ?! Sinon , regarde ce teaser , les 55 première secondes ne sont que de St-Luc ! Enoy dude ! Big Grin

Posted: Dec 26, 2011 at 15:44 Quote
heyy guys, me and a group of friends are planning to go and try out the tracks in portes du soleil during the holidays in july 2012. We all live in Selby, north yorkshire, so travelling recommendations would be much appreciated. Also, thing is we dont want to spend all of our money that we saved up over the months for a weeks stay at riders retreat. We are pretty keen to camp out, all that really matters is that we can get a safe place to store our bikes. If youve got any recommendations, please e-mail me.
Thanks so much

Posted: Jan 5, 2012 at 5:48 Quote
Views: 595    Faves: 14    Comments: 3

heaven on earth!

Posted: Jan 10, 2012 at 11:07 Quote
Hey Flowzone and all readers.

I´ve been to the Engadin in the summer of 2010 an i have to say it was just epic, epic, epic! The landscape is so stunning. While riding some trails you feel like hundreds and hundreds of kilometers away from civilzation. You could easily be somewhere in the Himalaya or Iceland. I will return with my bike-buddies for more riding this year. That´s for sure.

I can really recommend this area to everyone who loves to shred REAL big mountains. Some of the runs start at nearly 3000m / 9000 ft. and most of them are accessable by railway, cablecars, gondolas and chairlifts. If you hear St. Moritz you might think: sounds expensive. Ok, i have to admit it´s not really cheap, but there are still some places that offer accomodation to decent fares, including a really nice campsite.

Yeah, that´s all I have to say. If you love to do some epic rides in nearly untouched landscape, in the middle of glaciercovered mountains that are up to 4000m high you should go there.

Posted: Jan 11, 2012 at 0:41 Quote
you pinned it. there's nothing more to say Smile

Posted: Jan 11, 2012 at 12:29 Quote
hey guys!

Switzerland certainly is amazing for riding! I may be changing job to one thats based in Oensingen in the North, and will be flying into Zurich a lot with work. I am trying to find a good area to move out to, to get local rides in frequently and works out being close to Zurich or Oensingen. I prefer to ride tech/fun singletrack or DH (I own an Orange Patriot 180mm, and an Orange 223 200m DH bike). Any good spots anywhere up there?
Yes, I plan to take trips down to the alps aswell Big Grin
Cheers!

Posted: Jan 11, 2012 at 14:55 Quote
Yup Engadin really hit the singletrack sweet spot for me. But wait till you see Valais if you haven't already. Different but also oh-so-tasty

Posted: Jan 12, 2012 at 8:38 Quote
@leelau

Thx for the hint. One more destination to go Big Grin

Hope to make it to Portes du Soleil this summer...any recommends for that as you seem experienced?

Posted: Jan 13, 2012 at 20:42 Quote
Sorry - do not know Portes du Soleil area well at all

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.083479
Mobile Version of Website