single speed demo7

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
single speed demo7
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
O+
Posted: Oct 31, 2007 at 6:47 Quote
hey, i want to go for an urban ride around montreal, i am wondering if it is safe to put a single speed tensionner on my demo, if i leave quite a bit of chain slack, should it be fine?

thanks

Posted: Oct 31, 2007 at 6:56 Quote
why whould you do that?

Posted: Oct 31, 2007 at 7:10 Quote
Slap!!!! first dont even try to street ride with a demo.Get a hard tail

Posted: Oct 31, 2007 at 7:30 Quote
If your rear wheel moves in a linear fashion no. But if the distance between BB and rear axle never changes, normally occurent in frames with the main pivot around the BB, you should be fine. But if you have some fancy array of linkage and virtual bollocks, and your rear wheel is not always the same distance, no.

Test it, take the shock out and hold your frame in the fully extended pos. Measure the eye-to-eye distance, now around halfway, and again fully compressed. If the halfway is longer/shorter than the fully ex. or fully comp. then don't bother.

Posted: Oct 31, 2007 at 20:20 Quote
MadMike2007 wrote:
If your rear wheel moves in a linear fashion no. But if the distance between BB and rear axle never changes, normally occurent in frames with the main pivot around the BB, you should be fine. But if you have some fancy array of linkage and virtual bollocks, and your rear wheel is not always the same distance, no.

Test it, take the shock out and hold your frame in the fully extended pos. Measure the eye-to-eye distance, now around halfway, and again fully compressed. If the halfway is longer/shorter than the fully ex. or fully comp. then don't bother.

most fullys have chain growth and will prob. break your chain if you go ss.

Posted: Oct 31, 2007 at 20:32 Quote
Dont leave slack. What you need is a spring loaded chain tentionar, and a chain guide. The tentionar will take care of the chain growth, and the chain guide will keep your chain on. Im not 100% sure if it will be possible on the Demo 7, never tried it, nor have anyone I know. I do know people who have done it on full suspentions though (Balfa 2Step, Orage 224) And it works fine.

O+
Posted: Oct 31, 2007 at 21:51 Quote
i will be using one of the SS chain tensionner gizmo's and a chainguide up front, i have a home made ss pack for the rear, i will try it out see how it rides, thanks for the info

p.s. the reason i want to ss it is because i want to huck bigger stair gaps with it that do not feel smooth on hardtail Wink

Posted: Oct 31, 2007 at 21:58 Quote
k, i have an a-line which is pretty much the same suspension system as most specailized. ss doesnt work. it's that simple. since i ride dh i hopefully dont need to pedal very much so i made my own version of a ss kit. just get rid of the shifter and all the cables hooked to your derailler. then simply adjust you derailler using the limiter screws to the gear you want. you still have your cog but it works great.

Posted: Oct 31, 2007 at 22:11 Quote
wtf... get a hardtail, or just ride and leave in in your gear of choice, don't worry about singlespeed. You can only ss a bike like the Cowan DS because the pivot is on the bottom bracket, this takes care of chain growth... oh, and thosr stupid 'no-derailleur' things don't work, if you try to get wicked your chain will fall off if you have any slack...

Posted: Oct 31, 2007 at 23:20 Quote
for the love of god people....
i know it seems all sexy now a days and stuff
but single speed duallies DO NOT WORK

O+
Posted: Nov 1, 2007 at 6:31 Quote
i will make myne work and prove you all wrong.... or i deserve to be Whip

Posted: Nov 1, 2007 at 6:39 Quote
1st off your a f*cking idiot
keep your f*cking demo stock its all good parts on it you dont need ss for urban
a gear set up is just fine for urban
the single speed on a derailer the tension is or should be 2nd gear front 6th gear back it will feel like a single speed
2nd off you a dumbass for buying a demo 7 knowing you gonna try doing urban with it
the only bike that would be good for urban is the vp free with super low sag

Posted: Nov 1, 2007 at 6:42 Quote
i aslo have the demo 7 and there is not much chain stay growth. I actually tried sinlge speed on it when i snapped my derailler. I just used an old derailler and alligned it with the cog i wanted and took a couple links from the chain. You can do iit but its not fun to only have on gear on a big fully

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009488
Mobile Version of Website