Paint in Bottom bracket and Headtube. Help!

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Paint in Bottom bracket and Headtube. Help!
  • Previous Page
Posted: Dec 13, 2008 at 8:57 Quote
Hey guys, I just got a new frame from my buddy and he attempted painting it high before I got it and he has filled the BB (cant even see the treads lol) and HT with paint. I don't know what to do, do you guys think paint stripper will be able to get that shit outta there? I need some suggestions please.

Here are some pics:
<Photo does not exist: 2781232>
<Photo does not exist: 2781230>
<Photo does not exist: 2781243>
<Photo does not exist: 2781239>

Thank you!Salute

Posted: Dec 13, 2008 at 8:59 Quote
Use acetone, but make sure you do not get it on your hands or on paint you do not want stripped... do not breathe it in either.

Posted: Dec 13, 2008 at 9:10 Quote
Go to a LBS and have the BB chased and faced. For the headtube use some paint remover or Acetone on the inside of the cup..

O+
Posted: Dec 13, 2008 at 9:13 Quote
demo-9 wrote:
Go to a LBS and have the BB chased and faced. For the headtube use some paint remover or Acetone on the inside of the cup..

Agreed. Go to the hardware store and get the most toxic stuff you can find.

Posted: Dec 13, 2008 at 10:08 Quote
Hombre3000 wrote:
demo-9 wrote:

Agreed. Go to the hardware store and get the most toxic stuff you can find.

I don't know if you are being serious. Oh and I want to strip the whole frame down. His paint job is disgusting.

Do you guys think I can try using paint remover in the bb first, if it still doesn't work I guess im forced to take it to the bike shop

Posted: Dec 13, 2008 at 10:11 Quote
drew44 wrote:
Do you guys think I can try using paint remover in the bb first, if it still doesn't work I guess im forced to take it to the bike shop

If its just a crappy spray can job then any paint stripper should take it off easily.

Posted: Dec 13, 2008 at 10:13 Quote
Most likely. Use strong paint remover, and try not to breathe it in or get any on your hands.
If that doesn't work, then go to your LBS.

Posted: Dec 13, 2008 at 10:17 Quote
Go to the hardware store and ask them to order you the most letal paint remover they can get. Like aircraft paint stripper, that stuff will take off anything.

Posted: Dec 13, 2008 at 10:18 Quote
ezekiel wrote:
drew44 wrote:

If its just a crappy spray can job then any paint stripper should take it off easily.
Ok thank you, that's what I wanted to hear.

I'm going to my local hardware store soon, do you guys have any product suggestions? I've never had to buy paint stripper before.

Posted: Dec 13, 2008 at 10:19 Quote
cjf1972 wrote:
Use acetone, but make sure you do not get it on your hands or on paint you do not want stripped... do not breathe it in either.
Is that a product or a chemical? Sorry, I have no knowledge with this stuff.

Posted: Dec 13, 2008 at 10:21 Quote
gibson243 wrote:
Go to the hardware store and ask them to order you the most letal paint remover they can get. Like aircraft paint stripper, that stuff will take off anything.

that stuff is the best

Posted: Dec 13, 2008 at 10:22 Quote
drew44 wrote:
cjf1972 wrote:

Acetone is a chemical.

As for products, sherbet recently did a write up for stripping a frame using a product called Circa 1850 and said it worked really good. Most commonly you'll find Super Strippa which isn't too bad, but it can take a couple coats to get everything off. Just make sure to follow directions and pick up some rubber gloves too.

Posted: Dec 13, 2008 at 10:24 Quote
ezekiel wrote:
drew44 wrote:
cjf1972 wrote:

Acetone is a chemical.

As for products, sherbet recently did a write up for stripping a frame using a product called Circa 1850 and said it worked really good. Most commonly you'll find Super Strippa which isn't too bad, but it can take a couple coats to get everything off. Just make sure to follow directions and pick up some rubber gloves too.

Ok thank you again guys, I really apriciate the help.

Oh, and where should I look. I have stores like Canadian tire, Walmart and home depot/hardware around me?

Posted: Dec 13, 2008 at 10:26 Quote
mask off the areas you dont want sprayed would be a good bet

Posted: Dec 13, 2008 at 10:26 Quote
drew44 wrote:
ezekiel wrote:
drew44 wrote:

Acetone is a chemical.

Ok thank you again guys, I really apriciate the help.

Oh, and where should I look. I have stores like Canadian tire, Walmart and home depot/hardware around me?

I know for sure canadian tire has it. And home depot does as well.

• Previous Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.013577
Mobile Version of Website