What do you do about homeless people?

PB Forum :: Trail Building
What do you do about homeless people?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Dec 16, 2008 at 7:27 Quote
Over the weekend we were working on a new stretch of trail and we found out the hobos have moved in. Anyone ever have a problem like this? My city has an ordinance against this sort of thing but there has got to be an easier way to get them to move. We skirted the edge of their "village" and continued on our way. Maybe they'll get the idea and move along. Nice isn't something I do very well so advice would be appreciated.

Posted: Dec 16, 2008 at 7:32 Quote
have a heart its christmas.

Mod
Posted: Dec 16, 2008 at 7:33 Quote
If your city has an ordinance against it (which most do), contact the Bylaw services or police (non-emergency number of course) and provide them with the details such as the location and they will investigate it and make them pack up/move or destroy the village they erected.

Posted: Dec 16, 2008 at 7:35 Quote
laurie1 wrote:
If your city has an ordinance against it (which most do), contact the Bylaw services or police (non-emergency number of course) and provide them with the details such as the location and they will investigate it and make them pack up/move or destroy the village they erected.

oh well a stone will do,might take a while to get blood out of it.

Posted: Dec 16, 2008 at 7:37 Quote
marquis wrote:
have a heart its christmas.

Agreed.

Posted: Dec 16, 2008 at 7:37 Quote
Most cities tend to give a little less than a warm reception to trail building too.

Mod
Posted: Dec 16, 2008 at 7:50 Quote
More people are fine with bike trails being built rather than shanty towns built in their community. For the most part, they probably aren't the most savory of people, have addictions to drugs or alcohol, and just trash the area leaving their mess behind. You know that city's are concerned about the transient population and the drug and alcohol abuse when they spend $10.9 million on purchasing a local property in my city that is associated with a large transient population and high crime area. They suspended the business license of the property, bought it, and once the city takes possession (in a month or so as this just happened yesterday), they are demolishing it.

Posted: Dec 16, 2008 at 7:59 Quote
The city doesn't mind if we build new, and I guess I'm really not concerned with them being around, but just not the sweet spot they have taken hold of. I know of a much better "camping" area that is far from any trails. Is there a nice way to say move there or we'll use you for filler in our dirt jumps?

Posted: Dec 16, 2008 at 8:01 Quote
cool6 wrote:
The city doesn't mind if we build new, and I guess I'm really not concerned with them being around, but just not the sweet spot they have taken hold of. I know of a much better "camping" area that is far from any trails. Is there a nice way to say move there or we'll use you for filler in our dirt jumps?

Tell them you know of a nicer place and tell them where it is.

Posted: Dec 16, 2008 at 8:02 Quote
Pay the £3 an hour or pay them in food and get them to help you dig?

Mod
Posted: Dec 16, 2008 at 8:04 Quote
Dude, they are squatters. They don't want to move if they aren't forced to.

Posted: Dec 16, 2008 at 8:10 Quote
gaz321 wrote:

best post in this thread.

Posted: Dec 16, 2008 at 8:15 Quote
dont get stern with them..once again they are homeless and probably would not care or think twice about knocking you up side the head and trying to rob you. just be real with them....dont go and call the cops no one likes to be rat'd on plus they are just trying to live and get by.

Posted: Dec 16, 2008 at 8:16 Quote
squaredwheels wrote:
gaz321 wrote:

best post in this thread.
Agreed

Posted: Dec 16, 2008 at 8:20 Quote
get them to ride with youlol

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012741
Mobile Version of Website