09 race rig. any sugestions?

PB Forum :: Downhill
09 race rig. any sugestions?
Posted: Dec 19, 2008 at 17:50 Quote
gnarkore wrote:
themontajew wrote:
gnarkore wrote:

id still go intense ss or a nomad over the blindside, they are a lot nicer feeling frames
Nomad isn't a DH bike, not even close, the SS is a mini DH bike and would be fun but still not a DH bike. Blindsides do ride really well, I suggest you try one. People talk all kinds of shit about single pivots, but again, ride one. The out corner, and jump pretty much every other suspension design, they are have a really nice feel through the rock, so long as you aren't a hack of a rider. Other suspebntion designs have been developed to do 2 things, eliminate brake jack (doesn't matter you can get a floater if it bothers you that much) and to get them to pedal better (it's a freaken DH bike who cares)

Ive ridden one, they are nice bikes but not as smooth as something like the nomad.

And One of my friends has his nomad set up for dh/fr he races and it rode like a dream down garbonzo at whistler. Dont forget, the OP is by no means a big kid so a nomad will hold up well to him.

Also on your comment on pedaling, For a DH bike a huge aspect is having it to be able to pedal well, you need to pedal to gain speed, watch a race of sam hill, minnar or peat, they are pedaling nearly non stop. If you have a bike that just soaks all your power you cant win races.
Then the blindside was set up wrong for you, there is no way a decent single pivot with 8 inches is going to outperform a 6 inch bike, especially 2 VPPs (the old VPP bike have a gnarly dead spot in the middle of the travel, and by old I mean anything without a carbon link)
How much you weigh has nothing to do with how much travel you need. While short travel bikes can be made to work for DH (and can be super fun to ride DH on) they are not going to be as good for it as a DH bike.

I know pedaling is important in a DH race, but having a bike that corners, jumps, and rides rocks comes before how well it pedals

Posted: Dec 19, 2008 at 17:55 Quote
themontajew wrote:
gnarkore wrote:
themontajew wrote:

Nomad isn't a DH bike, not even close, the SS is a mini DH bike and would be fun but still not a DH bike. Blindsides do ride really well, I suggest you try one. People talk all kinds of shit about single pivots, but again, ride one. The out corner, and jump pretty much every other suspension design, they are have a really nice feel through the rock, so long as you aren't a hack of a rider. Other suspebntion designs have been developed to do 2 things, eliminate brake jack (doesn't matter you can get a floater if it bothers you that much) and to get them to pedal better (it's a freaken DH bike who cares)

Ive ridden one, they are nice bikes but not as smooth as something like the nomad.

And One of my friends has his nomad set up for dh/fr he races and it rode like a dream down garbonzo at whistler. Dont forget, the OP is by no means a big kid so a nomad will hold up well to him.

Also on your comment on pedaling, For a DH bike a huge aspect is having it to be able to pedal well, you need to pedal to gain speed, watch a race of sam hill, minnar or peat, they are pedaling nearly non stop. If you have a bike that just soaks all your power you cant win races.
Then the blindside was set up wrong for you, there is no way a decent single pivot with 8 inches is going to outperform a 6 inch bike, especially 2 VPPs (the old VPP bike have a gnarly dead spot in the middle of the travel, and by old I mean anything without a carbon link)
How much you weigh has nothing to do with how much travel you need. While short travel bikes can be made to work for DH (and can be super fun to ride DH on) they are not going to be as good for it as a DH bike.

I know pedaling is important in a DH race, but having a bike that corners, jumps, and rides rocks comes before how well it pedals

Go take a rip on a well set up nomad then tell me it doesnt feel nice on dh.

Posted: Dec 19, 2008 at 17:59 Quote
me2menow wrote:
intense socom

3400 USD for frame only though

Posted: Dec 19, 2008 at 21:56 Quote
I agree with Mr.Percussive on this one..... Chumba F5 sick bikes

Posted: Dec 19, 2008 at 22:10 Quote
Ventana El Cuero, got one this past year, its awesome

Posted: Dec 19, 2008 at 22:19 Quote
gnarkore wrote:
themontajew wrote:
gnarkore wrote:

i have 2 responses. first off. a Nomad is a GREAT short travel DH rig. perfect for smoother more flat out courses.

as far as VPP having a dead spot. your a moron. thats all i have to say. truely the only downfall of VPP would be the crazy axle path it creates. its neither rearward vertical or forward. its kind of like an S. but thats part of the beauty in VPP and is what makes it so compliant meanwhile pedals so well.

as far as taking a VPP bike through rocks... WOW. seriously man. ride a V10. sure it may not jump AS well as a single pivot. but its not by any means BAD at jumping. i'd say it corners just as good. if not better with a lower CG (center of gravity). and you can be smooth through rocks, or if you need to you can plow straight through them and the damn thing will take it just as good as a single pivot. if not better and faster. and as far as pedaling. dude cmon are you serious? pedaling is HUGE in ANY mountainbike (trail) racing whether is XC or DH you need to pedal good. stand up and sprint on an appropriately adjusted V10. it will out pedal and out sprint almost anything else you can name.

Posted: Dec 19, 2008 at 22:27 Quote
K-DUB711 wrote:
hey im 5'6 125lbs and am looking for a full on DH rig for the 09 season. any sugestions on what i should get? i am very concerned about weight cuz im not super strong and dont need a 45lbs sled.

well besides your 4g cut off limit i would definitely suggest a V10. besides the price tag and the maintenance its a great race bike (im 5'7" and 130-140lbs)

my v10 weighs 37 pounds and can still get lighter

its pedals great, jumps and corners awesome! tracks in any terrain. and grips in the worst of breaking bumps. and will handle anything you throw at it. with seemingly bottomless suspension.

i also like the 303. for it pedals well and handles well too. however it as well is pricey. and lots of maintenance. its also fairly heavy.

i haven't rode the DW link turner dhr but have rode the older DHR. it is also a very fast great bike, again with seemingly bottomless suspension. but the only downfall i saw and felt, which is of course my OWN personal preference, was the head angle. it is very slack at 64. i didn't feel that it cornered quite as well. but still a great bike.

all of which may be a little expensive.

considering our price range i would say one of the fastest DH race bikes you can do (if your talking about a NEW bike) would be a Demo. it is fairly good at everything.

thats my 2cents! not looking for arguments. its just friendly advice

Posted: Dec 19, 2008 at 23:18 Quote
gnarkore wrote:
themontajew wrote:
gnarkore wrote:

I said short travel bike's are fun for DH, but again IT'S NOT AS GOOD AS A DH BIKE, try reading my post dude.

Posted: Dec 19, 2008 at 23:22 Quote
Jwmbike14 wrote:
gnarkore wrote:
themontajew wrote:

i have 2 responses. first off. a Nomad is a GREAT short travel DH rig. perfect for smoother more flat out courses.

as far as VPP having a dead spot. your a moron. thats all i have to say. truely the only downfall of VPP would be the crazy axle path it creates. its neither rearward vertical or forward. its kind of like an S. but thats part of the beauty in VPP and is what makes it so compliant meanwhile pedals so well.

as far as taking a VPP bike through rocks... WOW. seriously man. ride a V10. sure it may not jump AS well as a single pivot. but its not by any means BAD at jumping. i'd say it corners just as good. if not better with a lower CG (center of gravity). and you can be smooth through rocks, or if you need to you can plow straight through them and the damn thing will take it just as good as a single pivot. if not better and faster. and as far as pedaling. dude cmon are you serious? pedaling is HUGE in ANY mountainbike (trail) racing whether is XC or DH you need to pedal good. stand up and sprint on an appropriately adjusted V10. it will out pedal and out sprint almost anything else you can name.
I have a V10 as well, and unless you have the one with the carbon link, they tend to stay between like 3 and 8 inches of travel. The V10s do GREAT through rocks, they corner ok all things considered, but they do jump like poo, they will get off the ground and into the air, I've hit some 40 foot gaps on mine, but they are nowhere near an FSR bike or a single picot.

A high single pivot is actually going to pedal better than a Vp bike, the single pivot has a rearward axle path, and the chain tightening forces the wheel down causing it to dig and and track, VPP is pretty close to neutral. Not to mention the V10 having a butt ton of travel, that doesn't help.

Posted: Dec 19, 2008 at 23:25 Quote
Jwmbike14 wrote:
K-DUB711 wrote:
hey im 5'6 125lbs and am looking for a full on DH rig for the 09 season. any sugestions on what i should get? i am very concerned about weight cuz im not super strong and dont need a 45lbs sled.

well besides your 4g cut off limit i would definitely suggest a V10. besides the price tag and the maintenance its a great race bike (im 5'7" and 130-140lbs)

my v10 weighs 37 pounds and can still get lighter

its pedals great, jumps and corners awesome! tracks in any terrain. and grips in the worst of breaking bumps. and will handle anything you throw at it. with seemingly bottomless suspension.

i also like the 303. for it pedals well and handles well too. however it as well is pricey. and lots of maintenance. its also fairly heavy.

i haven't rode the DW link turner dhr but have rode the older DHR. it is also a very fast great bike, again with seemingly bottomless suspension. but the only downfall i saw and felt, which is of course my OWN personal preference, was the head angle. it is very slack at 64. i didn't feel that it cornered quite as well. but still a great bike.

all of which may be a little expensive.

considering our price range i would say one of the fastest DH race bikes you can do (if your talking about a NEW bike) would be a Demo. it is fairly good at everything.

thats my 2cents! not looking for arguments. its just friendly advice
You can get V10's light as piss [IMG]http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b184/imjesusnailmeup/scalepic.jpg[/IMG]
I has it down to 35.5 with an air shock and an Ibeam post saddle (the air shock was a TERRIBLE idea, the leverage ratio is WAY to high)

O+
Posted: Dec 19, 2008 at 23:45 Quote
Glory or maybe a reign? The nomad is also a good sugestoin their light strong however they are rather stiff feeling through their travel. My vote is for a glory or reign tho the maestro design slaughters vpp in my opinion, rode a V-10 all last season its a great bike dont get me wrong but it felt well fat to much travel and it flew through it like no other and yes it was set up proper. As for glorys being tanks they are a tad on the heavier side but as mine weighs in right now home scale reads 38 my guess is 40 actual. It rides like nothin tho floats great and could prolly build one pretty light for cheap if you go used.

Ryan

Posted: Dec 19, 2008 at 23:46 Quote
a V-10 is alot of suspension for someone that is 125 pounds. get a VP-Free

O+
Posted: Dec 19, 2008 at 23:48 Quote
coralcorn wrote:

If I am not mistaken the nomad replaced the vp free I checked the sc site and the vp is no where to be found? But yes at 125lbs you dont need a full out DH bike look at a nomad/reign. The vp is also heavier than a V-10.

Ryan

Posted: Dec 19, 2008 at 23:51 Quote
veet-88 wrote:
coralcorn wrote:

If I am not mistaken the nomad replaced the vp free I checked the sc site and the vp is no where to be found? But yes at 125lbs you dont need a full out DH bike look at a nomad/reign. The vp is also heavier than a V-10.

Ryan
that is true the V-10 can be lighter than a VP-Free depending on the build. Think a totem with air shock and it most likely wouldnt be and it would also be a perfect set up for someone at 125 pounds that is 13. The Nomad doesnt replace te VP-Free as a nomad is all mountain and the VP-Free is a freeride bike. Marc Beaumont did race the world cup series in 06 on a VP-Free so you know it can still handle alot and it actually isnt even that heavy. Mine is built heavy right now and it still isnt that bad at all compared to some others

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.014564
Mobile Version of Website