Freeride build-up plan, comments or suggestions?

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
Freeride build-up plan, comments or suggestions?
Posted: Dec 20, 2008 at 15:39 Quote
Eek xo is nice but the cost oh my the cost.

i dunno i suppose it depends on personal preference i just like shimano.

and agreed with shondo also.

Posted: Dec 20, 2008 at 15:48 Quote
marquis wrote:
it depends on personal preference i just like shimano.

I used to think of Shimano as sorta weak ass, XC stuff. I was un-informed. Once I started running XT on my AM rig, I doubt I'll buy anything different again. I still run SRAM on my gravity bike though, X7 and X9 mixed, and It works well, so I'll not spend money to change it until it needs replacing. X0 is F.R.O. or for skinny XC rigs imho, too $$$ for the advantages gained.

Posted: Dec 20, 2008 at 15:55 Quote
shondo wrote:
marquis wrote:

I used to think of Shimano as sorta weak ass, XC stuff. I was un-informed. Once I started running XT on my AM rig, I doubt I'll buy anything different again. I still run SRAM on my gravity bike though, X7 and X9 mixed, and It works well, so I'll not spend money to change it until it needs replacing. X0 is F.R.O. or for skinny XC rigs imho, too $$$ for the advantages gained.

i dunno i think i read to many posts of fit and forget sram,maybe these people that fitted and forgot about sram never spannered on there bikes,and or actually never rode them off road.

but its also the continental price difference,shimano is cheaper for us where as on your side of the ocean its sram thats cheaper.

Posted: Dec 20, 2008 at 16:03 Quote
marquis wrote:
shondo wrote:
marquis wrote:

i dunno i think i read to many posts of fit and forget sram,maybe these people that fitted and forgot about sram never spannered on there bikes,and or actually never rode them off road.

but its also the continental price difference,shimano is cheaper for us where as on your side of the ocean its sram thats cheaper.

Besides XTR, I think Sram is pricier here too generally, at least in Canada I believe.
I think I more or less agree with you about the fit and forget thing, I do see more LX, XT and XTR on mechanic owned bikes. Not sure I'd guess why with a 100% certainty, but I do see that trend.

Posted: Dec 20, 2008 at 16:08 Quote
shondo wrote:
marquis wrote:
shondo wrote:

Besides XTR, I think Sram is pricier here too generally, at least in Canada I believe.
I think I more or less agree with you about the fit and forget thing, I do see more LX, XT and XTR on mechanic owned bikes. Not sure I'd guess why with a 100% certainty, but I do see that trend.

i would say engineering but thats a shot in the dark,and im just a home mechanic but for the period i had mine i just didnt gell with sram at all.

Posted: Dec 20, 2008 at 16:32 Quote
marquis wrote:
but for the period i had mine i just didnt gell with sram at all.

I think it's "feel". Sram feels like a Mustang 5.0 and Shimano feels like a BMW.
Both have performance, just different approaches and refinements in different areas of design.
Sorry for the thread drift.

Posted: Dec 20, 2008 at 16:46 Quote
shondo wrote:
marquis wrote:
but for the period i had mine i just didnt gell with sram at all.

I think it's "feel". Sram feels like a Mustang 5.0 and Shimano feels like a BMW.
Both have performance, just different approaches and refinements in different areas of design.
Sorry for the thread drift.

ha ha good comparison.Salute

Posted: Dec 21, 2008 at 1:13 Quote
spag wrote:
Shock: (vivid if you have the cash, or when you blow the 4way)
Fork: RockShox Totem Coil (if you have the cash go air, lighter and more adjustable)
Headset: Cane Creek Tank Hit (Crank Brothers is also something to consider)
Stem: Deity (Sunline All Mountain Stem, much lighter)
Bars: RaceFace Diabolus (I would say Easton or Answer, they ride better IMO)
Mech: SRAM X7 (if you have the money go x9 double)
Cranks: FireEye ISIS (Dont you dare, for a couple of dollars more you can get a Middle Burn Crank with chain ring)
Chainring: DMR Saturn (dont need with middleburn)
Chainguide: MRP Slalom SB-3 (e-13 is better imo)
Wheels: Azonic Outlaw in 20 and 150x12 (For about the same price you could get 721 laced to hop hubs which is a much better wheel)

You are also going to need headset spacers, a rear axle for the frame, seatpost, grips, seatpost collar, pedals, chain ring bolts (if you dont get middleburn) chain, casset, and tubes.

1. The Vivid is a good idea, but I don't think I'll have that amount of cash yet.
2. Totem Air: Which one? Solo Air? 2-Step? I don't have a huge amount of money to spend.
3. I've decided on a different stem anyway, so that's already old info.
4. Bars: Answer Pro-Taper 2008's in Gold look pretty fly... Razz
5. Mech and Shifter: Probably going to downgrade to something cheaper, it's going to take a thrashing and, to be honest, I don't feel like breaking an expensive mech. X7 and X7, or maybe Shimano XT and XT.
6. Crank: Which Middleburn? http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Kits.aspx?ModelID=3344 This one looks like a good one.
7. E-13 is a good brand, but there's so many... can you choose a useful but inexpensive model? Looks don't matter as long as it's not enormous and fugly. Also, I don't necessarily need a full bashguard.
8. Can I get those wheels built at ChainReaction? Also, what are some good yellow rims (DeeMax?). I'm a sucker for yellow rims.

Thanks dude.

Posted: Dec 21, 2008 at 1:21 Quote
shondo wrote:
if you are really just doing an HARDCORE FR build, for like ladder drops, gaps and general sending it, build it sturdy and cheap. I'd go dual crown too, coil sprung all the way. I'd even consider going as cheap as X-5 or Deore components for the shifting and derailleur duties....it may not be "pimp" but it works, and it won't hurt your wallet so much when you bust it to shit. (which you will on a Freechucker rig) who cares about fluid shifting on a drop bike?

That is a very good point. I might, in fact, go with XT components. I have them on my current bike and they are very strong and robust, the shifting is fine (little bit notchy and a pain in the ass to tune).

This is not going to be SUPER BENDER FREERIDE ONLY, might have some downhill and other riding as well. But not competitive level, so weight and such won't make much difference.

Posted: Dec 21, 2008 at 6:31 Quote
JokerMachine wrote:
shondo wrote:
if you are really just doing an HARDCORE FR build, for like ladder drops, gaps and general sending it, build it sturdy and cheap. I'd go dual crown too, coil sprung all the way. I'd even consider going as cheap as X-5 or Deore components for the shifting and derailleur duties....it may not be "pimp" but it works, and it won't hurt your wallet so much when you bust it to shit. (which you will on a Freechucker rig) who cares about fluid shifting on a drop bike?

That is a very good point. I might, in fact, go with XT components. I have them on my current bike and they are very strong and robust, the shifting is fine (little bit notchy and a pain in the ass to tune).

This is not going to be SUPER BENDER FREERIDE ONLY, might have some downhill and other riding as well. But not competitive level, so weight and such won't make much difference.

well have u thought about making it single speed =P?

Posted: Dec 21, 2008 at 7:15 Quote
n3lson666x wrote:
JokerMachine wrote:
shondo wrote:

well have u thought about making it single speed =P?
ss ftw..my hardtail dh rig is ss
it's awesome

Posted: Dec 21, 2008 at 7:16 Quote
Nope, Never.

9Spd FTW for DH or Freeride.

Posted: Dec 21, 2008 at 7:19 Quote
Gaz6R4 wrote:
Nope, Never.

9Spd FTW for DH or Freeride.
the only time i would really run gears is when im riding north shore stuff or dh with flats that i would have to carry my speed..i just really like the simplicity of ss on a hardtail for any riding

Posted: Dec 21, 2008 at 8:25 Quote
JokerMachine wrote:
spag wrote:
Shock: (vivid if you have the cash, or when you blow the 4way)
Fork: RockShox Totem Coil (if you have the cash go air, lighter and more adjustable)
Headset: Cane Creek Tank Hit (Crank Brothers is also something to consider)
Stem: Deity (Sunline All Mountain Stem, much lighter)
Bars: RaceFace Diabolus (I would say Easton or Answer, they ride better IMO)
Mech: SRAM X7 (if you have the money go x9 double)
Cranks: FireEye ISIS (Dont you dare, for a couple of dollars more you can get a Middle Burn Crank with chain ring)
Chainring: DMR Saturn (dont need with middleburn)
Chainguide: MRP Slalom SB-3 (e-13 is better imo)
Wheels: Azonic Outlaw in 20 and 150x12 (For about the same price you could get 721 laced to hop hubs which is a much better wheel)

You are also going to need headset spacers, a rear axle for the frame, seatpost, grips, seatpost collar, pedals, chain ring bolts (if you dont get middleburn) chain, casset, and tubes.

1. The Vivid is a good idea, but I don't think I'll have that amount of cash yet.
2. Totem Air: Which one? Solo Air? 2-Step? I don't have a huge amount of money to spend.
3. I've decided on a different stem anyway, so that's already old info.
4. Bars: Answer Pro-Taper 2008's in Gold look pretty fly... Razz
5. Mech and Shifter: Probably going to downgrade to something cheaper, it's going to take a thrashing and, to be honest, I don't feel like breaking an expensive mech. X7 and X7, or maybe Shimano XT and XT.
6. Crank: Which Middleburn? http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Kits.aspx?ModelID=3344 This one looks like a good one.
7. E-13 is a good brand, but there's so many... can you choose a useful but inexpensive model? Looks don't matter as long as it's not enormous and fugly. Also, I don't necessarily need a full bashguard.
8. Can I get those wheels built at ChainReaction? Also, what are some good yellow rims (DeeMax?). I'm a sucker for yellow rims.

Thanks dude.

2. Solo Air, dont waste your money on the 2 step

4. Protapers are sweet bars but make sure the ones your looking at are 31.8 and 2 inch rise

5. If ytou can get xt for the same price as x7 go xt by all means if you want to save cash maybe even a deore rd cause it will probably get killed anyway

6. Thats the crank, trust me you will be much happier with it

7. It depends on what size chain ring you are running

8. You can get them built at chain reaction but you cant get just a yellow rim, build for strength and not for style

FL
Posted: Dec 21, 2008 at 8:40 Quote
totem coils. get far better reviews. and 0.4lbs heavier? hardly noticable.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013716
Mobile Version of Website